C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Replacing door panel carpet

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 09:15 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Replacing door panel carpet

I have completed the entire interior carpet replacement of my '89 Coupe except the pieces on the doors. Had to stop for our first SoloII event last week

Do you have to remove the door panel? Do you just use the trim adhesive and put them on without removing the panel?

Anyone who has done this please chime in.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2005, 09:53 PM
CG77VETTE
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

The panels have to come off. The carpet is glued and stapled to the panel. The glue is a royal PITA to remove. I used a heat gun and a scraper which made it somewhat easier. There are also grommets that go through the carpet and the panel. I was unable to find new ones so I just didn't use any. In fact, I didn't use the bottom screws at all. I picked up some super heavy duty velcro and used that to attach the bottom of the panel to the door. It worked really well and makes removal of the panel much easier. Hope this helps.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:57 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

OK, I guess your saying that the panel goes down the whole way and the carpet is glued to a blank plastic anel underneath it? Is the reason to remove the whole panel due to the staples??? If I'm following it seems like you could do it without removing the whole thing????

Did you use trim adhesive to put the new carpet on?
Old 03-19-2005, 04:04 PM
CG77VETTE
Drifting

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

The staples are on the back of the panel securing the vinyl strip to the panel. I guess you could remove the bottom and side screws and lay down and pull the panel away from the door to remove the staples. I just don't know how you would staple the new carpet vinyl strip in that tight a space. The core of the door panel is plastic and might crack if you put too much stress on it. That call is totally up to you. Personally, I would just remove the panel. It's not that big a deal. In fact, it's probably the easiest panel I have ever removed. I used 3M heavy duty carpet adhesive to glue the carpet to the panel.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:47 PM
86C4EVER
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Removing the panel is way easier than replacing the carpet. I did not staple the new carpet, but used the 3M carpet adhesive. You should be able to get that from any upolstry shop.
The way I did mine was glue the back side first, then once that was set, I did the front and was able to keep it nice and tight.
I also had to cut around the speakers after it was installed. I am not sure you can do that without hurting the speakers if it is still on the door.
I saved my grommets and reused them. Without them, I think the plastic will wear and the holes will elongate.
Make sure you disconect the battery, lots of electrical stuff in there.
CG77VETTE is right, the glue is hard to get off, but I also used the heat gun and scrapper, and eventually, got it off.
Good luck with your project.
Fred
Old 03-20-2005, 12:18 AM
KAZ2
Instructor

I've had the replacment carpet for over two years, no point in rushing into anything. Now that you have explained "how to" I think I'll have a go at it. Regards
Old 03-20-2005, 12:37 AM
86C4EVER
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While you have the door panels off, dont forget to clean/lub your power windows.
The following users liked this post:
jazfe (03-01-2021)
Old 03-20-2005, 06:12 AM
KAZ2
Instructor

Thanks, would not have thought about that. What do you use a little white lithium on the pivot points?
Old 03-20-2005, 08:47 AM
Sam Lam
Melting Slicks

Dolfan: I removed the door panels from my 89 (that is easy) and placed the door panels horizontally on saw horses. I applied heavy coats of mineral spirits (with a paint brush) to the old carpet area and let this soak for about 24 hours. This softened the glue and I was able to just pull off the old carpet. The mineral spirits did not hurt the plastic. I agree with some posts above to remove the staples carefully and I saved the brass gromets for reuse. Good luck.
SAM
Old 03-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

Great information, off come the Panels!

I would not have thought to lube the windows that is another great idea. I'll do that while it's off.

Everyone is talking about removing the glue, I guess that is the factory glue thye use, that stuff seems much thicker than the adhesive we use to put the stuff down. I tried removing as much as I could of that from the transmission tunnel piece, but could only get a bit. I may need to work harder on these to keep it cleaner for the mounting of the new carpet.
Old 03-01-2021, 06:46 PM
SnorT91Man
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Response

It’s just like painting; the secret’s in the preparation. I used all the techniques described above to remove the old glue, but an eraser wheel was what worked best. The wheel is about 5” in diameter and made of soft rubber. It has a hole in the middle for an electric drill anvil. Cost is around $8. Paint shops use them to remove stripe tape, dealer decals and bumper stickers without damaging the existing finish.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing door panel carpet

Quick Reply: Replacing door panel carpet