C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Cheap Lt1 Upgrades...

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2005, 10:47 PM
BadCop9C1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Lt1 Upgrades...

I Have a 95 9C1 (LT1) ex-police caprice. What are the best and cheapest (in cost) upgrades for this engine. I have looked through summit and found many intake upgrades that my brother says are worthless. Is it worth it to buy a high air flow MAF, .58mm throttle body, "cold air" intake system, etc.
All replies would be appreciated
Thanks -mark
Old 04-13-2005, 12:19 AM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

hey whats up i own a 94 Impala SS as well as a 94 corvette so i know a little bit about modding up an Lt-1 b-body. I did underdrives pulleys, Hypertech powerprogramer, 160 degree t-stat, MSD 6a, 3" borla race mufflers, and descreened MAF. The biggest gains your going to notice on that car that are cheap are exhaust and cold air intake. you will feel the power programer a little bit and it will allow you to make your car run cooler and shift at higher RPM's. The MSD box will give you better throttle response and will make your car snappier. but what you really should think about doing is getting a good set of gears that is what i wanna get 373's by what i have heard really gets this pig moving with out sacrificing to bad on gas mileage or top end... any other questions your are really on the wrong forum check out http://www.impalasuperstore.com/naisso/home/ There are a bunch of good people there that really know these cars in and out and they could help you alot better there than on a corvette forum. good luck with the beast
Old 04-13-2005, 12:20 AM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

i have ran a best of 14.7 at 94 mph with a broken transmission and i believe it is good for a 14.5 with the simple bolt-ons i have done
Old 04-13-2005, 12:22 AM
Ramrod92
Melting Slicks

Cruise-In II Veteran

Not really sure on what would be the best for the caprice or impala, I think I read somewhere the exhaust could use some upgrades. I would think the best (because of the weight of the car) would be to stroke it, but there goes the "cheap" thing again. Try this site for more info http://www.impalassforum.com/
Old 04-13-2005, 12:31 AM
coops86vettes
Melting Slicks

Cool car! I also have an LT1 9C1 '96 Caprice with the G80 posi rear. I havn't done many performance upgrades to the car other than removing "home plate" and "first base" and put the Home Depot intake with a K&N filter. I removed the AIR pump and tubing and bought Corvette fuel rail covers. I want to get the Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust system next.
Keep us posted on your project!

Old 04-13-2005, 02:31 AM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

Don't forget the airfoil!!!
Old 04-13-2005, 11:33 AM
carriker
Pro

Originally Posted by BadCop9C1
I Have a 95 9C1 (LT1) ex-police caprice. What are the best and cheapest (in cost) upgrades for this engine. I have looked through summit and found many intake upgrades that my brother says are worthless. Is it worth it to buy a high air flow MAF, .58mm throttle body, "cold air" intake system, etc.
All replies would be appreciated
Thanks -mark
I'm the brother, and I never said they were worthless, there were just other things that were better money spent for the car at the time. Bigger MAF's and throttle bodies won't do enough good to be worth the $600 unless your car needs to suck more air than stock. How much do the underdrive pulleys increase power? And do they have any affect on A/C, alternator, or power steering? I have seen that they sell different programmers for LT4's and LT1's. Why are they different? Also, is there much of a power gain if you remove the air pump, and all of the EGR stuff? -Matt
Old 04-13-2005, 11:41 AM
ToyC4
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '05

Put a NOS 150 wet shot on it. There has to be a lot of weight you can remove from that beast just start stripping interior parts out. TB will do almost nothing if everything else is stock. Find some used headers and bolt them on then run straight pipes out the back.
Old 04-13-2005, 11:43 AM
carriker
Pro

The engine has like 130000 miles on it, nitrous may not be the best idea. He needs a posi rear end and some fat tires so it wont be limping it. How much can you get a nice rear end for a caprice for?
-Matt
Old 04-13-2005, 12:43 PM
Cold_B
Drifting

Originally Posted by ToyC4
There has to be a lot of weight you can remove from that beast just start stripping interior parts out.

Get that thing lighter! I'd make it as light as possible, then put a full exhaust on it. Past that your best bests would be to start doing head work and a different cam.
Old 04-13-2005, 01:37 PM
carriker
Pro

I agree about the heads and cam. It's not a race car though, it's a daily driver, so stripping it is not really an option.
Old 04-13-2005, 08:38 PM
petdoc
Burning Brakes

Received 561 Likes on 204 Posts

I'm the Dad of these two speed monkeys.....And if they dont keep their grades up, Souping up the old boat will be way down the road......
Old 04-13-2005, 10:19 PM
redvette6spd
Safety Car

Originally Posted by petdoc
I'm the Dad of these two speed monkeys.....And if they dont keep their grades up, Souping up the old boat will be way down the road......
Old 04-13-2005, 11:09 PM
JCD
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gears or nitrous would be the best bang for the buck, if you keep the shot small (under 150), you will not have problems with that engine. Of course, the fun stops when the bottle runs dry, whereas the gears will only cost a little extra on fuel.

Cool to see a family based around the C4/LT products.

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap Lt1 Upgrades...

Quick Reply: Cheap Lt1 Upgrades...