C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

A4 vs. M6 evaluation

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 07:58 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default A4 vs. M6 evaluation

Over the past couple of days, I've had the chance to get aquainted with the LT4.

Having owned just A4 Vettes, I always thought "what's the big deal? Besides, A4s are good from a consistency standpoint at the track."

All I have to say is... There is no comparison! There's nothing quite like rowing through all six gears. It really melds driver and car together as one. As I'm still learning how to drive the car, I haven't really even put it into the power band as of yet. I never really knew what more cubes would bring, but this thing has some serious torque (even when not under forced induction).

Now I know what all the M6 guys are talking about.

Last edited by cprgmr; 04-16-2005 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-16-2005, 08:13 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 82 Likes on 72 Posts

Reading this thread had me a little confused. Because, I knew you had an A4. So, I checked your previous post, and found out you bought Madhu's car. Man, I was so tempted to buy that car, it is one of the nicest C4's I have ever seen.

Congratulations on the new BEAST . If I'm ever in you neck of the woods, you have to give me a ride.
-Mike
Old 04-16-2005, 09:24 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cprgmr
Over the past couple of days, I've had the chance to get aquainted with the LT4.

Having owned just A4 Vettes, I always thought "what's the big deal? Besides, A4s are good from a consistency standpoint at the track."

All I have to say is... There is no comparison! There's nothing quite like rowing through all siz gears. It really melds driver and car together as one. As I'm still learning how to drive the car, I haven't really even put it into the power band as of yet. I never really knew what more cubes would bring, but this thing has some serious torque (even when not under forced induction).

Now I know what all the M6 guys are talking about.
Don't let Pionexxxx catch wind of this thread - we'll all be subjected to his "unbiased" opinion on the superiority of the A4, his kill stories, and who knows what other he'll come up with.

On another note, I too know what you mean! My first Vette was a '91 A4. I've now got an LT4, and I must say - consistency be-damned - I'll never own another auto tranny sportscar again!
Old 04-16-2005, 09:56 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is nothing better than a manual gear box to motivate the car... I'd rather drive a manual tranny Yugo before I'd pilot an automatic vette...

A manual gear box gives the driver absolute control of the engine and power transfer (in my opinion) and it does make you feal empowered as you drive. I refuse to drive an automatic.
Old 04-16-2005, 09:57 PM
kwik_ta
Race Director

Location: St. Peters MO Sometimes you have to prove yourself by doing alot of killing or alot of dying...

Originally Posted by Perfusion
Don't let kwik_ta catch wind of this thread - we'll all be subjected to his "unbiased" opinion on the superiority of the MN6, ...
How's that for a biased opinion???
Old 04-16-2005, 10:01 PM
wildman378
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My 95 is an auto but I'm open minded on this subject I love my auto but do know 6sp is more fun on mountain roads!

My dad has a 68 427 4sp it's a blast to drive but after a good day of driving it and I get back in my auto I realize I perfer the auto....what would be good is if I could have both auto and a manual c4...that would rock!
Old 04-16-2005, 10:05 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by STL94LT1
Reading this thread had me a little confused. Because, I knew you had an A4. So, I checked your previous post, and found out you bought Madhu's car. Man, I was so tempted to buy that car, it is one of the nicest C4's I have ever seen.

Congratulations on the new BEAST . If I'm ever in you neck of the woods, you have to give me a ride.
-Mike
You're on Mike! I wasn't sure about a yellow Vette, but to tell you the truth, I love Competition Yellow in person.

I'll be selling the '93 soon (have to salvage some parts first).
Old 04-16-2005, 10:06 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by kwik_ta
I'd rather drive a manual tranny Yugo before I'd pilot an automatic vette...
Are you sure about that?
Old 04-16-2005, 10:07 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

I've now got an LT4, and I must say - consistency be-damned - I'll never own another auto tranny sportscar again!
AMEN brother!
Old 04-17-2005, 12:17 AM
tempest
Burning Brakes

....auto tranny sportscar....
now there's an oxymoron.
(flame suit on!)
Old 04-17-2005, 01:47 AM
redvette6spd
Safety Car

There is nothing better than a manual gear box to motivate the car... I'd rather drive a manual tranny Yugo before I'd pilot an automatic vette...

A manual gear box gives the driver absolute control of the engine and power transfer (in my opinion) and it does make you feal empowered as you drive. I refuse to drive an automatic.
Im with you brother if your going to own a vette you must shift. Oh if cprgmr made a pass on pionexxxx with that nasty lt4 banana he just got he'd be standing in the ditch with his eye brows burnt off and snott bubbles burbling out has nose
Old 04-17-2005, 08:13 AM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

cpr, may i offer a big congrats on getting such a great vette i for one would be a huge fan of a yellow LT4

i enjoy the manual as well, for me its the only way to go
Old 04-17-2005, 09:47 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Deinitely a 6 speed freak here, but my legs are just too long to comfortably shift one in a vette. That, and 6 speed vettes out here are hard to find; wound up with an auto-Do have another 6 speed car, though
Old 04-17-2005, 04:23 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by redvette6spd
Oh if cprgmr made a pass on pionexxxx with that nasty lt4 banana he just got he'd be standing in the ditch with his eye brows burnt off and snott bubbles burbling out has nose
Old 04-17-2005, 04:24 PM
cprgmr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bradvette
cpr, may i offer a big congrats on getting such a great vette i for one would be a huge fan of a yellow LT4

i enjoy the manual as well, for me its the only way to go
Thanks bradvette!
Old 04-17-2005, 04:37 PM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

I haven't really even put it into the power band as of yet. Now I know what all the M6 guys are talking about.
If you've driven the car, you've been in the powerband.
The LTx cars have powerbands that start at idle and end at redline.

The manual gearbox just lets you FEEL that torque, that's all.

Larry
code5coupe
Old 04-17-2005, 09:33 PM
Perfusion
Race Director

How's that for a biased opinion???
Because it was free of condescending, smartass, and otherwise worthless remarks (unlike others who'll remain nameless), it's fine!

Get notified of new replies

To A4 vs. M6 evaluation

Old 04-18-2005, 06:48 AM
LT1Vetteguy78
Drifting

my 1994 is an Auto and i can say this.....My cars been in the shop for over 2 weeks(TQ Converter, please don;t ask)....So i have been driving My Dads 1999 FRC 6spd.....Man o man do i miss driving a 6spd car....That was until i was driving through Hartford on Friday around 5 O clock ....then i hit dead stop traffic...and then i remember how much more practicle an Auto is in heavy traffic areas....Also Route 6 in Bristol gets packed on the weekend as well....So most of the time i am glad i have an Auto....but there is that 6spd fever in me when i drive my dads car...
Old 04-18-2005, 09:18 AM
LT-4 CE
Race Director

Location: Everyday you must choose between the pain of discipline and the pain of regret. Fredericktown, OH

I never really knew what more cubes would bring, but this thing has some serious torque (even when not under forced induction).

I am with you on the 6-speed factor - tons of fun! However, what did you mean by more cubes? All the C4s are the same cubic inch.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:49 AM
Perfusion
Race Director

Originally Posted by LT-4 CE
I am with you on the 6-speed factor - tons of fun! However, what did you mean by more cubes? All the C4s are the same cubic inch.
IIRC, "cprgmr" just got a new C4 from another forum member...maybe it's a 383 or a 396. I've heard it referred to as a "beast" more than once.

Quick Reply: A4 vs. M6 evaluation