C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

It's gettin' hot out here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2005, 12:24 PM
KnightmareVette
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default It's gettin' hot out here!

Hey guys! I just got back from lunch and all of my temps were above 240! My oil temp was 248! I know these things are designed to run hot, but damn! Another tidbit of info: We are having a major heatwave here and the high today is supposed to be 101 (heat index of 115). At what point should I start worrying about my car's temperatures?

(On the other hand, the AC works great! )
Old 07-27-2005, 12:37 PM
chevyc4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the coolant temp I would get worried about anything over 250; 260 and up you have a serious issue. On the oil temp I would start getting worried about anything over 300.

Things that make a big difference:
- Flushing the cooling system
- Cleaning debris out from behind the radiator and condensor
- Putting an 160-degree thermostat
- Using a programmer to set the fans to come on at 195

Hope this helps,

Blake
Old 07-27-2005, 12:56 PM
KnightmareVette
Drifting

Thanks for the advice Blake. I appreciate it.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:12 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

If you haven't checked look in front of the radiator for blockage. You might have a bag sucked up there.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:20 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once

Originally Posted by chevyc4
On the coolant temp I would get worried about anything over 250; 260 and up you have a serious issue. On the oil temp I would start getting worried about anything over 300.

Things that make a big difference:
- Flushing the cooling system
- Cleaning debris out from behind the radiator and condensor
- Putting an 160-degree thermostat
- Using a programmer to set the fans to come on at 195

Hope this helps,

Blake
Also, make sure all of the air has been purged from the cooling system by "burping" it. Unlike older Porsches and VWs Corvettes are not air cooled.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:27 PM
chevyc4
Instructor

Originally Posted by 6t9l4t6
Also, make sure all of the air has been purged from the cooling system by "burping" it. Unlike older Porsches and VWs Corvettes are not air cooled.
To get the air out of the system on an LTx, open the bleed screws on the throttle body and thermostat housing. Then begin filling the surge tank and when only coolant (no bubbles) comes out of the bleed screws; close the bleed screws and fill the surge tank to the top.

Sorry I forgot to mention this,

Blake
Old 07-27-2005, 01:27 PM
rohde88
Instructor

Originally Posted by 6t9l4t6
Unlike older Porsches and VWs Corvettes are not air cooled.
Ultimately, air is going to cool every engine. The water just transports the heat to an heat exchanger where the air can cool the water.

Sometimes, if I am running very hot and park the car (with the fan on) my temps will climb to 250 and not go down at idle. What should I do short of panicking? I don't want to drive it as there are steep uphills all near me which I think would be worse for the cooling.

I sometimes will shut it off and open the hood because I think the running engine just makes it hotter.

Ron
Old 07-27-2005, 01:46 PM
Saisling
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I think the running engine just makes it hotter
As soon as you shut it off, thats when it gets hotter... at least while it's running, coolant is circulating throught he block and you have your fan running. When you shut it off, the coolant stops circulating, so it stays in one place and gets even hotter from the temperatures of block. It will get much hotter before it starts to come down...

Back on the subject at hand, though... I'd check to make sure you don't have a bunch of trash between teh radiator and condensor. I honestly don't know what mine runs when it's this hot, but I did have it out Sunday... I don't know what the heat index was, but I know it was in the mid 90's. They were issuing warnings and whatnot... I had to drive about 25-30 miles one way on mostly interstate to a funeral I was going to. I was amazingly surprised when my temps didn't get above 210 the whole way there!! The way home, I took some back roads and had a bit of stop and start... I still didn't see over 220 and that was just sitting at a couple lights... came right down once I was moving again...
Old 07-27-2005, 01:48 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once

Originally Posted by rohde88
Ultimately, air is going to cool every engine. The water just transports the heat to an heat exchanger where the air can cool the water.

Ron
In a liquid cooled engine air does cool off the liquid, but but it is the liquid that cools the engine. If you try cooling that engine with only air or too much air in the system your engine will be toast long before you get any cooling effects from the air.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:06 PM
KnightmareVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Saisling
As soon as you shut it off, thats when it gets hotter... at least while it's running, coolant is circulating throught he block and you have your fan running. When you shut it off, the coolant stops circulating, so it stays in one place and gets even hotter from the temperatures of block. It will get much hotter before it starts to come down...

Back on the subject at hand, though... I'd check to make sure you don't have a bunch of trash between teh radiator and condensor. I honestly don't know what mine runs when it's this hot, but I did have it out Sunday... I don't know what the heat index was, but I know it was in the mid 90's. They were issuing warnings and whatnot... I had to drive about 25-30 miles one way on mostly interstate to a funeral I was going to. I was amazingly surprised when my temps didn't get above 210 the whole way there!! The way home, I took some back roads and had a bit of stop and start... I still didn't see over 220 and that was just sitting at a couple lights... came right down once I was moving again...

I ususally run about the same, but today the outside temperature is unusually high today and I was wondering if that might be a factor. I will run out in a few minutes and check for debris on the radiator.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:23 PM
Saisling
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

You have to pull the shroud on the top or you won't be able to see... Not hard, but probably not something you want to do at work...

It should be a little cooler at least when you leave to go home... drive home and check it later tonight.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:29 PM
KnightmareVette
Drifting

Thanks, I don't know the first thing about what the hell I'm doing but my best friend is a mechanic, so he'll put it back together once I tear it apart!
Old 07-27-2005, 02:35 PM
91vetteboy
Burning Brakes

I bought a infa red heat measurment tool. I found out my coolant temp was off by 10-15 deg. compared to the indash guage. I checked the heat at the pump, raiator cap, hose into top of block & surge tank. Maybe your local auto parts store can let you check yours with their tool. I replaced my in-dash gauge. Still a little off, but not 10-15 deg.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:34 PM
KnightmareVette
Drifting

Well guys, I just got home. And as I was leaving work, the "low coolant" light kept flashing (not good) but the AC was still blowing cool and the temperatures weren't going up as high as they were during my lunchtime errands, however the light kept on flashing and when I pulled in the yard I immediatly raised the hood and I could smell coolant. And then I saw it. Coolant spewing from the center of my engine and dripping down onto the serpentine belt and God knows what else! Does this mean my waterpump just bought the farm?
Old 07-27-2005, 07:14 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Sorry yes the weep hole is in the center. Hope your opti is safe.
Old 07-27-2005, 07:17 PM
KnightmareVette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Redeasysport
Sorry yes the weep hole is in the center. Hope your opti is safe.
(Best Darth Vader Revenge of the Sith voice) NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Old 07-27-2005, 07:31 PM
MDD LT1
Burning Brakes

Best of luck to ya Knight.

Get notified of new replies

To It's gettin' hot out here!

Old 07-27-2005, 07:36 PM
Stv50
Melting Slicks

Water pump maybe??
Old 07-27-2005, 07:58 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by KnightmareVette
(Best Darth Vader Revenge of the Sith voice) NOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Been there done that and didn't even get a T-shirt. The water pump is not too bad to replace a couple of bolts are hard to get at.You did not mention any missing or backfiring so hopefully the opti is good but I would try and wipe as much as you can get at wiped down ASAP especially around the wire plug a known leak area.If it has not been changed in a lot of miles now might be the time to do it since the pump will be out.Should take 1-2 hrs to do the pump.
Old 07-27-2005, 08:02 PM
KnightmareVette
Drifting

Yea, I'm pretty certain its the water pump. Mrs. Knightmare says that I'm taking this rather well. I told her it's a C4 and I knew this would happen sooner or later (I was hoping later, but dems the breaks). I just tried to start it again and it did, but methinks that I'd better stop tempting fate. What kind of a bill am I looking at? I mean for a improved opti and electric water pump and tune up while my friend Don is at it? Any ballpark figures?

Quick Reply: It's gettin' hot out here!