C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

86 Window regulator ribbon replacement help

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 01:53 AM
Red86Coupe
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 Window regulator ribbon replacement help

I know this has had to come up before but I am not sure how to find it. My driver's side window regulator ribbon (nylon drive strap) broke. I have the regulator assembly out of the car and I have a new drive strap. How do I install it? Do I have to drill out the two rivets that hold the metal track to the regulator housing? Any help/advice would be appreicated.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:32 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Red86Coupe
I know this has had to come up before but I am not sure how to find it. My driver's side window regulator ribbon (nylon drive strap) broke. I have the regulator assembly out of the car and I have a new drive strap. How do I install it? Do I have to drill out the two rivets that hold the metal track to the regulator housing? Any help/advice would be appreicated.
Yep! Gotta drill em out. Look in Tech Tips for a complete set of instructions.

Old 08-17-2005, 06:54 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

i just replaced the drivers side on my 85. the two rivets at the top of the assembly need to be removed. be careful on the drill size, as not to enlarge the rivet holes, since standard blind rivets can be used as replacements. drill down thru the center of the rivet head and drive the rivet out using a small drift pin. use a drill press if you have access to one. also, clean, i mean really clean, the track that the ribbon slides on plus the bar that the window slides on. i used white lithium grease to lubricate everything. when you start the ribbon down the track, you will need to connect power the the motor to feed the ribbon all the way thru the motor gear. after you get the ribbon thru the motor (about half way), re-rivit, and re-assemble. my end result, 3 seconds down, 4 seconds up, and very smooth - works like a new car!. not a hard job, but time consuming. i think i have about 6 hours in on that job - start to finish. anyway - good luck
Old 08-17-2005, 10:21 AM
Red86Coupe
2nd Gear

Thanks, this is all very helpful. I will give it a try.

Steve
Old 08-17-2005, 11:22 AM
CAJUN C4
Safety Car

If you can...do the 86'L-96' upgrade .you can buy them used here for $75-$100.00 bucks. I have the instructions if you need them.Took me about an hour.
Old 08-17-2005, 05:14 PM
Daffy
Florida turtle advocate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

Originally Posted by CAJUN C4
If you can...do the 86'L-96' upgrade .you can buy them used here for $75-$100.00 bucks. I have the instructions if you need them.Took me about an hour.
If you do one side like I did you'll be shopping for the other side because it's ten times better than the "Tapeworm" regulator

Get notified of new replies

To 86 Window regulator ribbon replacement help

Quick Reply: 86 Window regulator ribbon replacement help