Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Door panel removal

Old 09-23-2005, 05:04 PM
valkryder
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door panel removal

I have the shop manual but can't find anyplace that shows the door panel removal. Is there a site which shows the removal procedure and what specialty tools are needed?
Old 09-23-2005, 05:06 PM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you talking about the inside panel?
Old 09-23-2005, 05:50 PM
valkryder
Instructor

Affirmitive
Old 09-23-2005, 06:45 PM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If its the same as my 92 there are around 11 screws. Remove all the ones you can see, on the bottom and the sides. There are hidden ones behind the light, pop the light out carefully, behind the window switch, that one is a bolt. You then pry the sliding door latch off, it pops off. Put it in the open position then pry off with a curved tool like an awl, carefully. There should be a screw behind that. I've had to do this so many times with mine, hope your car is kind of the same. Once everything is out, the panel lifts up over the lip on the door. What is the prob with the panel?
Old 09-23-2005, 06:55 PM
valkryder
Instructor

No problem with the panel. My drivers side window only goes up part way and then it sounds like it's striping gears. You know, it just chatters.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:03 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 654 Likes on 375 Posts

I took my door panel off without any help.
You will see all the screws you need to remove.
Be sure to take notes & label the screws, so you know what goes where.
There are about 4 connectors inside, for hatch, etc. They all have different size connectors, so you can't make a mistake there.

Old 09-23-2005, 08:41 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

That pic does't show the two vertical screws in the well behind the inside pull.

Your window ribbon may be stripped. Contemporary Corvette (link on my site) has a regulator upgrade kit.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:54 PM
Sam Lam
Melting Slicks

The 89 GM Helms manual goes into good detail on removal of the door panel. The removal of the plastic door lock lever and the little spring lock on the opening handle (inside door) can be frustrating until you realize how simple they are to remove. Let us know if you need more help!
SAM
Old 01-09-2012, 06:05 PM
pablopicasso46
Intermediate

Default 92 driver's side door panel removal

Originally Posted by mfi
If its the same as my 92 there are around 11 screws. Remove all the ones you can see, on the bottom and the sides. There are hidden ones behind the light, pop the light out carefully, behind the window switch, that one is a bolt. You then pry the sliding door latch off, it pops off. Put it in the open position then pry off with a curved tool like an awl, carefully. There should be a screw behind that. I've had to do this so many times with mine, hope your car is kind of the same. Once everything is out, the panel lifts up over the lip on the door. What is the prob with the panel?
I know thisis form anold thread, but iI can't find any other threads with specific instructions on removingthe driver's side door panel..which I need to remove becasue I tried to replace the door ajar switch and tit disconnected with the wire and the plate for the screws stillinside.. GRRRR.. anyway, I go tthe obvious screws around the edges,and even figured out there was one behind the courtesy light lens.. ,and I understand, I think , about taking off the manual door lock thingy and there being a screww behind that too.,but the above says there is a bolt behind the window switch, but gives no explanation of how to get at that one..I removed the two screws in the well of the armrest, but that plastic piece that has the window switch in it seems to be attached to something at the other end too?.How do I get it out without breaking it? Another thread I found refers to a screw behind the door handle too,but I don't see that one, nor is it mentioned above. As an aside, I didn;t disconnect the battery( I know now I always should) and when I was removing the screw behind the courtesy light lens my screwdriver touched one of the contacts where the bulb goes and sparked and nore the courtesy lights don't work , so did I blow the fuse? and if so , where is it? I also cracked the bottom of the bezel,trying to pullthe panle off after I got the screw behind the light off..I only pulled gently but i guessit was brittle ...so hopefully I can get another of those and figure out how to get that off the door panel..Any advice there?

I just got this car 2 weeks ago so all this is new to me..and different from my 96.. anyone have pics of shere all these screws/bolts actually are and info on how to get to them?

Thanks for any help.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:58 PM
Railroadman
Team Owner

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,528 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

1. Don't give up - these things happen and it is all part of the fun!

2. You did the right thing by using search to find related threads. However, for some reason unknown to most, the moderators have a "45 day rule" saying anything older than that should not be posted to, start a new thread all over again (even though relevant info might be found on the old one.) If this gets locked don't take it personally

3. Your fuse box is on the side of the dash just inside the passenger door, and yes you likely blew a fuse.

4. Get a FSM (Factory Service Manual) which will help with doing your own work. Expensive but worth it, there have been numerous threads on how to order etc so use search again.

5. I have removed my panel but it has been too long and I can't remember just what was involved. If this thread stays open someone will jump in to help you.

Good luck with the project! I'm facing something similar as my drivers side window motor seems to be shot.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:23 PM
pablopicasso46
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Railroadman
1. Don't give up - these things happen and it is all part of the fun!

2. You did the right thing by using search to find related threads. However, for some reason unknown to most, the moderators have a "45 day rule" saying anything older than that should not be posted to, start a new thread all over again (even though relevant info might be found on the old one.) If this gets locked don't take it personally

3. Your fuse box is on the side of the dash just inside the passenger door, and yes you likely blew a fuse.

4. Get a FSM (Factory Service Manual) which will help with doing your own work. Expensive but worth it, there have been numerous threads on how to order etc so use search again.

5. I have removed my panel but it has been too long and I can't remember just what was involved. If this thread stays open someone will jump in to help you.

Good luck with the project! I'm facing something similar as my drivers side window motor seems to be shot.
Thanks Railroadman.I didn't know about the 45 day rule, but hopefully someone will be able to tell me where all these screws and /or bolts are before my post gets locked..whatever that means..I have found threads descibing in detail,and even showing pics in most cases just about every year but mine,and it seems to be slightly different for each year, or couple of years.. If I ever do find all the screws I will take pics myself and post it ....I'll look for the fuse once replace it once I do get the panel off and replace that switch...maybe it will help you when you replace yuor window motor.. I also have to replace the window switch on the passeneger side.Any advice there would be appreciated as well
Old 01-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

1. Obvious screws along the bottom and one along the front edge
part way up.
2. 2 screws behind the courtesy light. Pry the light cover out carefully
from the top.
3. One screw behind the door lock. The piece you slide pops off.
Slide it forward and pull the front end away from the door.
4. One screw (maybe) on the rear edge of the panel, above the
trunk release switch.

It should take about 5 minutes or less to have the door panel off.
There is no bolt behind the window switch on my 1992.

Get notified of new replies

To Door panel removal

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Door panel removal