C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Dexcool Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2005, 04:09 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bdvdvh7
i don't have enough technical knowledge either way.. just common sense. since there are no issues with green, and maybe or maybe not issues with orange, and i really don't see any advantage to orange, why even use it??
I have to use it until the warranty is up! I forgot to mention earlier that the dealer replaced the water pump before the car was a year old!

Mike
Old 10-30-2005, 06:58 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Go figure...the Dexcool mystery is like the Bermuda Triangle I guess; we may never really know for sure. GM spent millions studying the claimed failures and from what I read nothing is really conclusive yet. It seems from what I have read there are possibly several contributing factors at work but on the other hand lots of folks out there that have never had an issue with it. Apparently the stuff eats gaskets and seals in some cars driving their owners crazy with recurring sludge problems and it completely bypasses other owners and they remain trouble free for years. I checked the other day and found my 96 took a little Dexcool drink and left the overflow reservoir bone dry after the cooling system was flushed and refilled a year ago but it is still clean and red. My 04 on the otherhand is clean and red also and the level has never dropped. I have to keep it for warranty reasons also but I am watching it closely. I remember reading about another antifreeze quality test using a voltmeter I think that I am going to look further into.

Regards, Greg
Old 10-31-2005, 11:33 AM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by aboatguy
I have to use it until the warranty is up! I forgot to mention earlier that the dealer replaced the water pump before the car was a year old!

Mike
Get the extended warranty. Any late model that I buy I get the extended warranty if it breaks its on them.
They pay the tow, parts and labor and a rental.

I paid $2300 for the extended warranty on my Lincoln LS and I've gotten
$1,300 back in a year and a half. Its bumper to bumper for 3 years or 36,000 miles.

I work in car shop and work on cars everyday but not on my cars, they're insured.

Ive kept the home warranty on the house for 4 years they have never made a dime. The pool alone has cost them 4 years of premiums.

I insure everything.

Quick Reply: Dexcool Problems