C4 gen/tech- The way it used to be?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 08:19 PM
HVAC111
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Seems like quite a few here feel it isn't what it used to be. Old timers leaving, knowledgeable guys don't post much anymore, etc It is still somewhat informative, but tech isn't as serious as it used to be and C4 gen seems like a (forgive me Mojo) ricer forum. It used to be pretty fun and upbeat. It still is to a point, but you get the drift (no pun intended )

Any suggestions?

aside from me keeping my big fat mouth shut?
I FOR ONE AM A NEW FORUM MEMBER. 8\1\05 EVERYONE FOR THE MOST PART HAS BEEN VERY HELPFULL , WITH MY QUESTIONS.
I THINK THAT EVERY TIME SOME ONE LIKE MYSELF IS LUCKY ENOUGH TO BUY THERE FIRST VETTE, AND FIND OUT ABOUT THE FORUM, GET SO EXCITED TO FIND SOME ONE TO ASK ABOUT WHAT YOU MIGHT THINK IT A SMALL PROBLEM, WE JUST ASK QUESTIONS THAT MAY SEEM SILLY, BUT ARE IMPORTANT TO US.

BUT THANKS SOOO!!! MUCH TO EVERYONE THAT HAS TAKEN THE TIME TO ANSWER THE MANY QUESTION I HAVE POSTED

JOE
Old 11-16-2005, 08:22 PM
Redeasysport
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06

OK Joe just quit yelling at us.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:03 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I have seen the hostility... I am partially to blame for that, to wit, I appologize for my part.

And it is correct that it has gotten harder and harder to reply to some posts without getting nit-picked to death. 100% accuracy isn't always possible, and, as such, being generally correct isn't going hurt a damned thing.

I think what has happened, as others have mentioned, is the repetition of things. It does get tiring answering the 4538th question about why my clutch isn't right... it's like no one has any idea fluid needs to be checked... Or the constant wheel posts...

or the posts that go on for 6 paragraphs... all in one paragraph... with no puncuation.... yea, right. Like I am gonna translate that mess!!

Oh, another favourite... "what is the website for xxxx racing company?" My first thought, "www.google.com." It's more then a little annoying when they come for help and can't help themselves.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:21 PM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

One thing noobs and everyone else could help themselves are when they have a question is to do a search, here's why. The subject could have possibly been beaten to death already hence 20 posts by 20 individuals on the subject already. Each post could contain responses from 10 different people leaving you 200 posts on the subject. Now instead they post the same stupid question and get 6 responses 3 of which are people telling them to do a search. Had they done the search already they would have 200 responses to which their question would already be answered or they could modify what would have been their original question and they wouldn't look like a dumbass. So instead of a vauge "what's best" they could say "I have this, this and this and I want the car to do this, what stall converter do I need?"

Now does anyone have a pic on how to do a T/B bypass mod for a L98?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:24 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by hippy
One thing noobs and everyone else could help themselves are when they have a question is to do a search
Lately the wesite construction has really played havoc on the special tools. Once Troy has the new servers and OS settled this should be a problem past.

Originally Posted by hippy
Now does anyone have a pic on how to do a T/B bypass mod for a L98?
Your kidding....right?
Old 11-17-2005, 12:29 AM
hippy
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach

Your kidding....right?
Yes.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:33 AM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,425 Likes on 1,032 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Lately the wesite construction has really played havoc on the special tools. Once Troy has the new servers and OS settled this should be a problem past.
Thats only for the past week.

People havent been running searches for much longer than that.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:39 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

IMO most newcomers should be sent some info when they first sign in to the forum about the FAQs and stickies. I was a computer and internet noob when I joined last year and had never heard of either one, nor did I know what they were for.

About the best we can do it point it out when they first start posting

Last edited by cv67; 11-17-2005 at 01:03 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 01:04 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The search link isn't really obvious for noobs. It doesn't show up on the index page.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:48 AM
USAsOnlyWay
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CC and cuisinartvette, that is exactly what is going through my head when I see an "obvious" post. Yes you can tell them to search, but hell why not just tell them the answers and say, "ohh btw you can search next time and get even more information."

I don't think it is laziness that makes people not search, I think it is mostly un-awareness of the search and possibly computer noob-ness. Example, I got my father on here. He was clueless, now imagine if I hadn't been there to point out what we all take for granted as common knowledge He would get torn all up and down trying to figure out, lets say the TB bypass. When all he knows about it, is someone wrote about it in their signature. He doesn't know its "common knowledge."

I first started lurking around 99-00. Then I finally joined in 02, I think? Posted very little. Just read thread after thread of VALUABLE info. I never remember bickering like now-a-days. Maybe it is just fond memories neglecting that but... Now I have swapped my own hand-built motor into the car and done many other various mods. I had only changed the oil in a car prior to this. Also, no one in my family ever worked on cars themselves. I was at the mercy of the forum. Now I actually understand some things. I try to help and post here and there, hopefully it is appreciated. I don't know, I am wrong sometimes too. I am still learning.

But I know this, we all had to start somewhere. Sick and tired of reading about the TB bypass. DON'T READ IT! I will try to go in and help, because hell, at one point in time, the TB bypass was completely insane and over my head. Then someone posted about what it was. I read it, and voila.

I geuss what I am saying is. I wish people would just get along more. Maybe its my mother saying, "If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" Maybe its me trying to pay back my debt as a one time (and I think I will always be) noob to the forum.

We are all here because we love our cars. Age, race, location, intelligence, etc... It should all make no difference. How hard is it to respect other people, especially when they share a common thread like loving corvettes with yourself?

We used to be called a Corvette Family....not a dysfunctional one...
Old 11-17-2005, 03:47 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

I will have to have Bogus add my TB bypass diagram to the FAQ for sure. Important stuff for sure.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:33 AM
randy814u
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry but the search function on here has worked off and on since I joined. I would trust it as much as I would trust bubba's advice. It's real simple guys, if you do not like or want to reply to a thread, DON'T.
I don't post alot, but i have learned from a lot of repeat threads when different people chime in. CC, Bogus, scorp, ect. Just because it is a old rehashed question, does not mean it is not new to someone.

By the way, here is the results from my alignment search.

Sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms.

Randy

Last edited by randy814u; 11-17-2005 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:16 AM
BRICHC4
Pro

I agree with some of this, I'm reletivly new, going on two years ownership, just over one year on the forum. When I first joined it was really cool I talked to someone who had a car the same year and color of mine, I was excited and now I know it's all pretty common. Then I had a lot of questions and quickly discovered the search feature but as posted before a search is very specific and if you don't know what you are talking about it's hard to find stuff.
Also I'm on here a lot and things that I have questions about, and problems with the car are getter less and fewer in between. So I don't get on here as often. But when someone has a question I can answer I try, I'm no expert but if I do have an opinion of what I think might work I let them know. Of course I know some of us wish we could have the knowledge of others and answer everyone's questions.
I do find it a little sad that threads like this one and ones about wheels, paint, and pictures get 50+ responses and 200+ views, and questions about how am I going to fix this get 5 posts at most. Now I am guilty I like to have fun post pics and look at others, but maybe they should look in the photo section?
Mostly I get steamed when people get into a pissing contest and the original question never gets answered.
Sorry if my post doesn't make sense (just random thoughts about everything) and Thanks to those who have helped me so much and forgot to say so, or didn't say enough times. And another thanks to the moderators for setting this up and keeping it going.

Plus it's 4 in the morning, who know what I just wrote

Last edited by BRICHC4; 11-17-2005 at 06:19 AM.
Old 11-17-2005, 07:15 AM
Billy Stargazer
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1986pacecar
Probably, as stated earlier, a lot of the original, knowledgeable members either moved on to a C5 or just got out of the Vette business altogether. The Forum does seem to be in a lull now and for whatever reason, just not as interesting as it once was. I do think that redundant questions are a necessary evil as newer members are just asking the same questions that we once did. I'd much rather see posts asking for advice on which exhaust system to buy or which wheels look the best on their car rather than another stupid thread asking what did I name my car or what are my favorite driving tunes. Then again, maybe it's all cyclical and any day now new gearheads will join and become the next generation of Corvette experts.
I agree! We found the answers to our "stupid" questions now it is time for someone else to find the answers to their "stupid" questions. Calling them stupid or complaining that their posts are in the wrong forum does not help anyone. No one is forcing anyone to click on a thread. If a person don't have time for "stupid" questions or think it should be in a different forum pass it by. It is really that simple. If you can help and care to lend a hand, all the better!
Old 11-17-2005, 07:45 AM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

I dont think that is the problem. The problem is that for one reason or another the old guys who know their stuff are getting bored and leaving the forum or ignoring more and more threads and effectively using the forum less. This doesn't do any good to anybody.

Asking the same question somebody asked 2 hours ago is one these reasons. It would be at least courteous to try to check out if the question one is planning to post was addressed in last week or so.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:48 AM
Fozzy_Bear
Waka, Waka, Waka!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-6-8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by vader86
Too many smart people are not hanging around anymore, and I for one am getting tired of seeing the same old threads over and over.
While I understand why this was posted, I think we need to be carefull what we wish for.

I know a site where the gear-heads always chime in on interesting threads and there are almost never any repeat questions. - Pirate4x4.com

How do they manage that? Well every time a n00b swings in and askes a basic question, they collectively flame them. Often with vulgar language and allways without any courtasy. (of course, there is a current influx of new members thanks to Chuck Wenzel, and the regulars are all complaining about that) You have to be in wild-west-cowboy mode to hang out there and bring plenty of asbestos and napalm with you.

Seriously. -- There are mods on that board with avitars that are pictures of them flipping off the camera. But the hard-core tech section moves along nicely and some really amazing info pours out of that place.

My Point???

While dealing with n00bs may be irrating, I believe it beats the alternative.

I'm pretty sure that I recently mentioned Bogus by name in a thread where I was talking about people who learned here and then stayed around to pass on their info the the next people . I should have spent the time to list everybody who deserved it, but that would have taken all day. I know for a fact that I personally would have been SOL a few times if it weren't for Vader86 and Scorp.

So please read a big Thank You from me to all involved.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:53 AM
CMYC4GO
Melting Slicks

I think C4 Tech is still pretty interesting, but C4 General consists of

1. The wave
2. Let's see those wheels
3. Let's see those (insert color) Vettes
4. Constant put downs on somebody else's car, especially Ebay cars
5. Can my C4 beat a (insert car)
6. Constant complaints about how unknowlegable other Corvette owners are.
7. Bragging about how clean you keep your car.
8. Arrogance and personal attacks against anyone who asks a question, not deemed worthy by some of the self appointed Corvette experts.
9. Bragging about how much more important your Corvette is to you, than your wife or family members......
and so on, and so on, blah, blah ,blah.

Face it, people get tired of the same old thing day after day, and they get tired of being treated like crap.

This isn't the only Covette board on the net, and believe it or not, the regulars on most of the other boards are friendly, and actually get along with each other, and show a little respect for the other members.

Maybe Corvette Forum should work at becoming the friendly, and fun place it used to be, instead of the constant pissing contest it's turned into.

Larry

Get notified of new replies

To C4 gen/tech- The way it used to be?

Old 11-17-2005, 02:49 PM
jodyeastman
Racer

I just wanted to make two comments: Our cars are getting older and there are no real new aftermarket items comming down the line anymore. Therefore, there's no new hype or interest. That's a problem that will not be going away.

Also, as for the search option, I've tried it sometimes and I get alot of C5 or other topics that may not be what I'm looking for.

Also, I think threads are posted over and over because for many topics, there is no concensous on the forum. What I mean is, ask a question about torque converters or heads and you will get a dozen answers with very different results. This leaves the person unsatisified or at least confused. I know this is going to happen because everyone's experience is somewhat unique.

I have posted similar topics a few times. For example, best torque converter......I received everything from 2400-3200 for daily driving. That leaves me going ????
Old 11-17-2005, 04:28 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by CMYC4GO
I think C4 Tech is still pretty interesting, but C4 General consists of

1. The wave
2. Let's see those wheels
3. Let's see those (insert color) Vettes
4. Constant put downs on somebody else's car, especially Ebay cars
5. Can my C4 beat a (insert car)
6. Constant complaints about how unknowlegable other Corvette owners are.
7. Bragging about how clean you keep your car.
8. Arrogance and personal attacks against anyone who asks a question, not deemed worthy by some of the self appointed Corvette experts.
9. Bragging about how much more important your Corvette is to you, than your wife or family members......
and so on, and so on, blah, blah ,blah.

Face it, people get tired of the same old thing day after day, and they get tired of being treated like crap.

This isn't the only Covette board on the net, and believe it or not, the regulars on most of the other boards are friendly, and actually get along with each other, and show a little respect for the other members.

Maybe Corvette Forum should work at becoming the friendly, and fun place it used to be, instead of the constant pissing contest it's turned into.

Larry
Old 11-17-2005, 09:33 PM
FD2BLK
Safety Car

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I think what would really help is for everyone to go have a nice discussion about injector size or if 5/8 or 3/4 headers are better, Ah yes the good old days

Quick Reply: C4 gen/tech- The way it used to be?