C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1991 headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 12:11 AM
rmderenzo
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 headlights

My right headlight will not open and when it does, it doesnt stay open.

What are the first steps to diagnose the problem? I havent seen anything posted on headlight motors or tips.

Please advise. I'm a rookie with a wrench....
Old 01-09-2006, 09:10 AM
geogolf
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default headlight

if a 91 is the same as a 90, sounds like you need the 3 bushings that hold headlight up, when it is open go to search and type in headlight repair and it should show posts of how to do repair. you will need to get a headlight repair kit from mid america or ecklers not a easy job but if you take your time prob. 2/3 hrs. ps some guys say you can find bushings at lowes or home dep.

Last edited by geogolf; 01-09-2006 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:32 AM
khindmon
Pro

Default Owns A 1991

Originally Posted by geogolf
if a 91 is the same as a 90, sounds like you need the 3 bushings that hold headlight up, when it is open go to search and type in headlight repair and it should show posts of how to do repair. you will need to get a headlight repair kit from mid america or ecklers not a easy job but if you take your time prob. 2/3 hrs. ps some guys say you can find bushings at lowes or home dep.
Old 01-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Ibuyvettes
Melting Slicks

If the motor still spins then the problem is the bushings. You'll need more than a wrench.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:22 AM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Its the bushings. They are powdered remains now after 15 years. I bought some used motors, swapped out the old ones and rebuilding them so to speak. The only royal PITFA is getting that one little T30 bolt off one part of the motor that is blocked off by the headlight frame and the hammering out that stupid little cotter pin through the armature shaft. That was 99% of the work right there and if you have long hair, expect to pull some of it out your scalp! Good luck!
Old 01-09-2006, 10:24 AM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

If I still remember, you need a 10mm socket, 13mm wrench and socket, T30 torx wrench and something to push out the cotter pin just so you can remove the headlight motors.
Old 01-09-2006, 07:24 PM
Jerris
Burning Brakes

Default Not really that hard

Replacing the bushings is not that hard, the left side they can be changed on the car.
Left side: Remove the three torx bolts that hold on the round cover on the headlamp motor and remove the cover.
Remove the plastic gear that is inside the cover and this holds the bushings.
The old bushings are probably powder so clean this all out and replace the bushings into the plastic gear and install the gear.
Replace the gear cover and three screws and the job on the left one is done.
Right Side: Take a nail or small punch and punch out the small roll pin from the arm that is attached to the headlamp povot.
Turn the **** on the motor until the arm moves enough to get a 1/4 inch socket on an extension, with the correct size torx bit in it, between the motor and the light frame to get to the torx bolt that is down between there that holds on the motor frame.
Remove the two longer torx screws that go through the motor from the sides and the motor can be lifted away with the wire attached far enough to remove the three torx bolts holding the gear cover. Notice that the shaft passes through this gear housing unlike the left side which does not.
Loosen 3 turns (do not remove) the 2 bolts that hold the motor armature housing to the gearbox. This will allow you to pull out the gear and shaft from the housing.
Clean out the remnants of the old bushings and install the new bushings.
Reverse above for installing the motor back in the car.

You should use vasaline to grease the gears and bushings when reinstalling for longer life.

These steps are the same ones you have to carry out if you decide to remove the whole loght and do it on the bench.
If you prefer to do it on the bench there are only 4 bolts holding each headlamp, then unplus the wireing after feeding it out of the channel ther are in.
My method the second time around took about 1/2 the time as the first where I did it on the bench and there is no chance of chipping the paint or dropping it and breaking the headlight. There was also no need to properly aligh the light in the hood to prevent binding when reinstalling the whole light.
Hope this helps
Jerris
Old 01-09-2006, 08:09 PM
boatman
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headlight Answers

I don't remember if the pixel number is low enough to get a good look when you click. Take a look below, then go to www.corvettefever.com, and scroll to technical articles, find the C4 headlight fix article. Easy fix. 3 or 4 Miller Lites will do both sides.
Boatman
Attached Images      

Last edited by boatman; 01-09-2006 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:21 PM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

2 types of C4
Those that have had the bushings replaced
and those that need it
Old 01-10-2006, 12:22 AM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Just opened my old ones up and I see the General, assy line worker or the previous owner had a crack cocaine problem. I'll have to get some new bushings to replace the coke from this one. I hope I don't get pulled over. Now I know what is goin' on...

Get notified of new replies

To 1991 headlights

Quick Reply: 1991 headlights