Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Clicking sound from engine WHAT???

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 04:20 PM
Lars87
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Clicking sound from engine WHAT???

well ever sincei bought my car 1.5 year ago, it have had a "clicking sound" from the engine. It only really noticible when tho hood is up at idle.

The sound come from the FPR, dist area...The right rear og the engine.

I have tried to track th sound down, and found it to come from the FPR, BUT i was told that the FPR couldent make a sound.

The sound is best described as "clik click click click click", following the rpms....

Do you guys have any idea what parts I need to order?

Old 02-14-2006, 04:24 PM
PsychoNumber1
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I posted this same problem a while back. I think someone mentioned injectors.
Old 02-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Chewch87
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a longshot......but I hear clicking in mine.....Believe it is the fuel injectors working. It is not loud or odd sounding....but part of the engine noise in the TPI engine. Not sure if thats what you are hearing.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:59 PM
vinnies87
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07

If you hear a constant ticking or clicking sound, its your injectors. I just replaced with new ones and its even louder, you can't hear with hood down, but worth every bit of tic with the new power.
Old 02-14-2006, 06:02 PM
Lars87
Melting Slicks

oki....Maybe it is the injectores then...Just wonder why it seems louder from one area than the others then...???
Old 02-14-2006, 06:06 PM
bowtieclassics
Instructor

Default clicking

If you can't get a stethocsope get a length of heater hose hold it to your ear and the other end on any suspected areas. This will pinpoint the noise. I wouldn't be concerned with injector clicking but it's possible your valves need adjusted. Slightly loose rocker arms will quiet down some when the engine gets up to temp!
Mine was clacking when I bought it. Pulled the valve covers and found some shadetree mechanic had run the adjustment down to zero clearance instead of 3/4 or 1 turn beyond. Quiet as a mouse (motor) now!
Old 02-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Lars87
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by bowtieclassics
If you can't get a stethocsope get a length of heater hose hold it to your ear and the other end on any suspected areas. This will pinpoint the noise. I wouldn't be concerned with injector clicking but it's possible your valves need adjusted. Slightly loose rocker arms will quiet down some when the engine gets up to temp!
Mine was clacking when I bought it. Pulled the valve covers and found some shadetree mechanic had run the adjustment down to zero clearance instead of 3/4 or 1 turn beyond. Quiet as a mouse (motor) now!
Well ìll check to see if the noise quiet down when the engine gets hot!, and adjust the rocke arms if it does....
Old 02-15-2006, 02:29 PM
Square
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just a side note,

I recently installed a TPIS intake and one of the instructions was to install 1/4" think washers on the fuel rail mount points to raise the fuel rail up. I couldn't do this because the fuel pressure regulator would hit the bottom of the plenum if I did. The lack of clearance caused the injectors to be pushed into the intake manifold which caused the injector tick to get significantly louder, and I was told by Rich at Cruzin' Performance (who serviced the injectors while I was swapping the intake) that he has seen this issue with TPIS and edlebrock intakes (he said edlebrock makes the TPIS intake for TPIS). I called TPIS and asked about the lack of clearance and was told "Some cars are like that"

The point of my novel (aside from me just venting) is that if you have an aftermarket intake, it could be contributing to a louder than normal injector noise.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:03 PM
Yellow95
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I got a ticking noise from a bad coil wire. Needed to run the car in the gagage with the lights off to see the spark.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:39 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Hmm, never heard of the washer thing under the rail, will have to try that. I have some injectors that are noisier than others .
Old 02-15-2006, 09:25 PM
Biff Buyer
Racer

i had that problem, i beleived it came form maybe a loose rocker or worn cam or somthing like that.
Old 02-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Fork501
Racer

I had a clicking coming from my '88 after I put in my AFPR. Turns out that I didn't tighten a few bolts down enough on the AFPR and intake runners.

Doubt that's your problem, since you're actually running, but it can't hurt to throw it out on the table

Best of luck!

~Derek

Get notified of new replies

To Clicking sound from engine WHAT???

Quick Reply: Clicking sound from engine WHAT???