Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Spending more time talking about working on the car instead of doing it!

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 12:09 AM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spending more time talking about working on the car instead of doing it!

I find myself spending more time on the forum chatting about the car than actually working on it. Right now I should be swapping out some interior trim parts. Instead I am talking about it.

Maybe it is the colic 2 month old and the too hot garage slowing me down

Anyone else find themselves in this chatting instead of doing? I swear I am taking the baby monitor into the garage right now! :smash:

Oh Oh the baby starting to make noise better hurry :eek: :eek: :eek:
Old 08-11-2001, 02:49 AM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Spending more time talking about working on the car instead of doing it! (Jay Axson)

Well, I did manage to put in the halo trims in tonight and the baby actually held out. Good to get something done on the car. Now if I can only find time to replace the clutch!!

I know this doesn't sound like much to those who are single with no kids. But it is a major accomplishment around here :yesnod: :yesnod:

[Modified by Jay Axson, 12:50 AM 8/11/2001]
Old 08-11-2001, 02:59 AM
NoWorries
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Spending more time talking about working on the car instead of doing it! (Jay Axson)

Make sure to post pics of the kid after you pick him/her up with greasy hands. :D
Old 08-11-2001, 03:15 AM
Automahn2
Racer

Hey being married with kids be thankful you get to have a corvette...hehe :lol:
Old 08-11-2001, 03:27 AM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Spending more time talking about working on the car instead of doing it! (Automahn2)

Picking up the kids with greasy hands... LOL

Lucky to have a vette - This is not an understatement!!! I bought the LT1 the same week Olivia was born (2 months ago). I'm suprised I haven't caught more $ hit about it Usually it is the other way around, baby comes and the car is up for sale. I guess I have a damn good wife.

[Modified by Jay Axson, 1:28 AM 8/11/2001]
Old 08-12-2001, 02:48 AM
chaos on wheels
Burning Brakes

:yesnod: :yesnod:
I feel your clutch pain too! :(
Old 08-12-2001, 03:16 AM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Spending more time talking about working on the car instead of doing it! (chaos on wheels)

I only bought the car 2 mos ago and I knew the car needed it after the first test drive. But I specifically wanted a manual and not an auto. I figure clutches are a just cost of doing business if you drive a standard. You are eventually going to put one in at some point of owning it. So does it really matter if it is sooner or later? Later is always nice though

Good luck on your clutch woes. I am still undecided on my options. I am stock so I only need a OEM Luke. But I can see many mods over time and does it makes sense to upgrade to a Mcleod or centerforce. Then what about the flywheel? Do you stick with the stock dual-mass or go for a lighter weight single mass one.

From what I have read there are many who have had issues with changing the set-up and had to rip apart the install several times to get balancing/vibration problems out of the way.

Then there is clutch pedal stiffness and smoothness of clutch grab to take into consideration.

Plus the best clutch, Mcleod Street twin, requires the bell-housing to be ground for clearance. I understand this to be not too big of a deal, but hate the thought of it.

I do not go to the track and only use the car as a daily driver, so I am confused to where the fine-line is for my application.

Old 08-12-2001, 03:51 AM
chaos on wheels
Burning Brakes

I am still undecided on my options.
Yup, same here! :D
The more I read about clutches here the less I feel I know! There are good AND bad points about every setup. I guess that if this were a perfect world, I wouldn't need to replace the clutch in the first place!! :lol:

I leaning right now towards Mcleod single-disk, sprung-hub and a single mass. I have the feeling that my dual-mass is shot. Plus, there is no way to resurface it. Engagement has always been iffy but the fluid looks like coffee. I have all the hydraulics parts, just haven't gotten around to putting them on! Once that is done, I will re-evaluate the situation.

-Jason.
Old 08-12-2001, 01:04 PM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Spending more time talking about working on the car instead of doing it! (chaos on wheels)

I had no idea you can't put a fresh cut on the dual mass :eek: :eek:

I think you can clean em up some with an abrasive disk. If you can check the fluid, can't you change it?

Sounds like you already have it aprt, how long did it take you to tear down?? Did you do it on your on your back or did you use a lift?

I'm still debating on doing it myself or not.
Old 08-12-2001, 02:12 PM
chaos on wheels
Burning Brakes

There were several posts about resurfacing the dual-mass. From what I understand, you can't cut it, but a few people have sanded it with good luck. I haven't gotten mine apart yet (might wait on ordering anyting until it is apart, see what is salvagable). I am planning on doing it myself (with help), using floor jack and jack stands. I've heard that the trans is really heavy and the c-beam is a pain to get out; looking forwards to that. :rolleyes:

Hydraulics: on the 89-90 cars the bleed nipple points sideways into the trans tunnel. GM, in its infinite wisdom, designed a nipple which breaks off, it'll punch a hole in the tunnel. In order to bleed, you get a new nipple, use a screw extractor to remove the old one, intall the new one, bleed, then break the new one off. I wonder if they designed that on a Friday. Later 6-spds. have the bleed nipple pointing straight down. I bought that one.

-Jason.
Old 08-15-2001, 11:59 PM
Jay Axson
Melting Slicks

Let us know how the install goes. I probably won't do mine until the off season.
Old 08-16-2001, 01:32 PM
jwade91
Racer

I feel your pain, I have 3 month old. No time anymore, and it's real hot in Austin. I think its been like 40 days without rain and 100 degree weather. My wife guaranteed me a day for the car this weekend. I can easily fill it with oil/lube job, and cleaning running gear and brakes, clean TPI, wash/wax. Man, I still need to fix that "SYS" thing from the radio I put in. I also want to pull the radiator and clean it like recommended on the forum, and do some of the "free" hp projects like the TB bypass. I know how, just no time.

I tell you what though, seeing my little girl crack that big gummy smile makes it all okay, new priorities :D
Old 08-16-2001, 05:25 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

It is too damn hot here in Florida to do anything besides drive the thing. My list of works for the cooler weather is growing. New convertable top, polish a few more engine parts, tranny cooler ...

Trouble is I have more mods than $$$$$$$$$$

Flame Red

Get notified of new replies

To Spending more time talking about working on the car instead of doing it!

Quick Reply: Spending more time talking about working on the car instead of doing it!