C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Carpet Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2001, 12:18 AM
mothersworry
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default C4 Carpet Question

I am installing new carpet in my 1992 corvette. I was wondering if anyone knows what type of glue that Chevy used to hold the carpet up against the center console side pieces? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 08-18-2001, 02:01 AM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Default Re: C4 Carpet Question (mothersworry)

I am doing this right now in my 89 my 89 transmission tunnel pieces were held on by what appears to be gue but it can be pulled away like when you get a credit card in the mail and you remove it from the paper, I cant seem to find anything here In my stores on base I was going to try to find carpet glue like what they use for houses but I do not have a harware store here just a PX!!
but if I find something that works ill let you know I used 3M spray adhesive to do the door sill they were easy :cheers:
Old 08-18-2001, 04:45 PM
ZBRA
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good question. I ordered some black carpet for my '94 today. I am eager to hear the answer.
Old 08-18-2001, 06:05 PM
Aquatic
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am in the middle of installing new carpet to and wondering what kind of glue to use? What about contact cement?

Dave
Old 08-18-2001, 08:57 PM
gh86E
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The manufacturer of the most common replacement carpet (ACC) recommends 3M Trim Adhesive. Ecklers, Mid-Am, and others sell it. My local Pep Boys sometimes has it.

But I used it on my first attempt at replacing the carpeting on the upside-down knee panels. First hot day, the carpet fell off (hence the removal of the knee panel project that you'll see at my link below). 3M makes a Super Trim Adhesive. I've seen this in stores too (Pep Boys has a non-3M brand). You are supposed to use the Super Trim Adhesive for things like headliners. So I'm going to pick up some 'Super' Trim Adhesive tomorrow to finish my knee panels. I'll also use it on the console side panels.

Hint: To remove the old glue, 3M makes a 'Trim Adhesive Release Agent'. It's great working with that stuff - you spray it, and it splashes back towards your eyes. It smells like it's destroying your liver. But you know what? I found 'Goo Gone' works slightly better at removing the old glue. And it's a lot cheaper than 3M's spray petro-chemicals. So I used a small putty knife and a utility knife, along with 3M Release Agent, then Goo Gone to remove the thick gobs of old glue. Like I said, Goo Gone works just as well.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Carpet Question

Quick Reply: C4 Carpet Question