C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

leakey windows

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 09:11 AM
ultra12
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leakey windows

hi i have a 1985 coupe .haveing a problem with a leak. i just put new weather stripes on. rain is running down the windshield wear the glass rounds off to door . down into door hindge area an onto floor of car. is thier a weatherstriping that goes under lip of glass that deverts rain towards motor. what is it called an ware can i buy it.maybe it was a upgrade for a later model if eny or if you no how to fix problem mid american an eklers dont have
Old 05-19-2006, 09:24 AM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What brand weatherstripping did you use. I have owned 4 different C4's and all leaked water somewhere or another.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:47 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I just had to replace the stopper on my driver's side window due to a leak. It took me three months to track down the problem. I though it was going to be the seals too, but had to open up the door panel and found that the part was broken and not letting the window seal correctly. It's a little plastic piece that stops the front part of the side window to allow the rear to keep rising. It's a $12 part from GM and about 2 hours of labor. Not sure if you're having the same problem, but it would be worth checking out if you are familiar with removing your door panel.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:59 AM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 400 Likes on 327 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

My never leaked -- even in a pouring rain! But....

It's in the shop now and all the wstrip is removed. The Bshop manager did say it's a trick to get new seals to seal after reinstallation.

The window is, of course, the most difficult. Here's why...

The window can be adjusted in/out (especially at the top) based on adjustment of the felt bumpers inside the panel. What you're trying to do is get the window to lay again rubber on the back (pillar), top (roof), and front (windshield). If you don't replace all these pieces, you may end up with these surfaces being in different planes. That's what makes it hard.

Try removing the panel and adjust the bumpers. For windshield issues, the front ones are most important. You need the window to "lay" back enough to roll up into the groove. If it's not seating right, that may be the problem. If you have new strip (i.e., roof/pillar), that rubber may actually be holding the window from finding it's happy home.

Get notified of new replies

To leakey windows

Quick Reply: leakey windows