C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Convertible Luggage Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 06:26 PM
Brtheez
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible Luggage Advice

Hello all you convertible owners. I am going on an overnight trip in my 89 convertible. Since it's one night and it will be me and my wife, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what they have used to put necessities in for such a trip, while planning to put the top down. Now aside form buying a coupe, I thought maybe someone could shed some light on this subject. I would like to have the top down if the weather is good. Thanks all.
Old 08-30-2006, 06:43 PM
rstackjd
Drifting

My dad and I go to the indy 500 every year and take the 'vert ('88) with no problem. We each have a duffle bag (maybe 12"X12"X20") and those fit nicely in back even with the top down. A standard carry-on bag or two (small ones) would probably work as well.

We also manage to get a small (ie tall six pack) cooler in as well.

There;s more room than you might think.

Old 08-30-2006, 06:50 PM
AnniversaryJim
Instructor

Didn't somebody used to sell a Corvette specific luggage package that fit snuggly into the back of the C4's?

I'm heading out to Charlotte, NC to pick up my 88 in a few weeks and I too am concerned about luggage on th drive home.

Jim
Old 08-30-2006, 07:05 PM
87 rag
Drifting

Make sure the bags are soft so they can take the shape of the space and the top. 12 x 12 x 20 as mentioned above would not fit if the bags were not soft.
Larger things can be laid flat as well like a suit bag.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:07 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Gym bags work well. Travel with the top up and you have more room. Then stash everything at the motel.
Old 08-30-2006, 07:17 PM
5pinball
Burning Brakes

i use a soft 2 suiter hang up bag
Old 08-30-2006, 07:19 PM
rstackjd
Drifting

Originally Posted by 87 rag
12 x 12 x 20 as mentioned above would not fit if the bags were not soft.
True Dat!

they might be a little smaller but not much. As mentioned, think duffle bag size and you should be ok.

Of course I'm talking guys traveling here. There's no way on God's green earth my wife and I can take the vette for more than one over night.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:12 PM
GreyGhost
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rstackjd
True Dat!

they might be a little smaller but not much. As mentioned, think duffle bag size and you should be ok.

Of course I'm talking guys traveling here. There's no way on God's green earth my wife and I can take the vette for more than one over night.

I have taken mine for a week long road trip. You have to pack smartly but it can be done. The bags have to be soft so you can push them around in the back but its worth it.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:48 PM
Razor89
Racer

Originally Posted by GreyGhost
I have taken mine for a week long road trip. You have to pack smartly but it can be done. The bags have to be soft so you can push them around in the back but its worth it.

Yup pack smartly! My wife and I went on a five day 2,000 mile road trip. Had clean clothes for everyday and I even brought a toolbox and spare parts. shrink wraped a few things like a spare upper and lower radiator hose and a new serp belt. There's room behind your seats and under them too! Six pack softsided cooler too!
Old 08-30-2006, 09:23 PM
Fast Cop
Melting Slicks

Received 61 Likes on 47 Posts

I just buy new stuff when I get to where I am going. If you stay at a high end hotel you will be amazed at the free stuff you can get from room service!!
Old 08-30-2006, 10:09 PM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a couple options.

1. Corvette Central has a lugguage carrier that fastens on the Corvette Luggage Rack - Car-Go Carrier from Corvette Central for $499 - Part # 104261

2. I have been looking for a small trailer like they pull behind a motorcycle. You can find them on E-bay if you search under "motorcycle trailer". You would have to put a trailer hitch on your Vette, but that's not really that big of a deal. You could paint the trailer to match your Vette and maybe even put some Corvette Emblems to match your year car.

I'm sure that there will be plenty of negative feedback on option 2, but I am leaning towards it for week long trips. It would be cheaper than getting a new girlfriend (she packs alot) - and the present one is high maintenance, but damn worth it.
Old 08-30-2006, 10:16 PM
SJW
Le Mans Master

Received 1,401 Likes on 923 Posts

As others have noted, soft duffel/gym bag style works best.

If you need to carry more than will fit, send it ahead via UPS. We did this on a Key West trip this year, and it worked great.

Be well,

SJW
Old 08-30-2006, 10:58 PM
rstackjd
Drifting

Originally Posted by SJW
As others have noted, soft duffel/gym bag style works best.

If you need to carry more than will fit, send it ahead via UPS. We did this on a Key West trip this year, and it worked great.

Be well,

SJW
Wow - GREAT idea - will have to keep that one in mind!
Old 08-30-2006, 11:19 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Keep in mind that the 'vert top takes up a good 8" of space in the back when folded down. This is a good 20% loss of storage area.

As mentioned, soft luggage works the best. But try to take clothes that are comfortable and no more than 2 or three days worth. Stay at places that have laundry facilties. I usually stay at Super 8 motels and nearly all of them have coin-operated washers and dryers. Beats hauling around dirty stuff.

U-haul has a neat teardrop shaped trailer for really long trips, but finding a C4 hitch will be difficult and when you do find one it may be expensive. And in most cases, you will lose the spare tire carrier once a hitch is installed. Storage of a trailer at a hotel/motel can be a PITA and backing up a short trailer is not that easy.

Informal clothes work the best (jeans, t-shirts, sport shirts and such) Only one or two pairs of shoes and a light jacket each. If you can roll clothes up, you can get a lot in a small bag. Stay away from large toiletry cases and make-up cases.

When all else fails, stop at Wal-Mart every two days and buy new shorts and toss the old ones.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Luggage Advice

Quick Reply: Convertible Luggage Advice