C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Dash Warping

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 10:06 PM
Never Enough
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash Warping

I am a new vette owner (about a month) and new to this site (I found it about 3 days ago - wow). I'm wondering why I waited so long to get my first one...it is the best thing I've done in years. Also, this site is incredible and everyone is so helpful...thanks.

I purchased a 96 Collector, and it is in great shape. The only issue I have found is the dash. The outer layer appears to have become detached from the dash around the windshield and around the defroster vent. I thought it might be sun or heat damage, but a friend told me that the car is in too good of shape for that to have happened...he said it is probably where the previous owner used Armoural on the dash and it caused it to do this. Since I realized this, I have noticed the same thing has happened to other vettes I've seen.

Has anyone had this issue? Is there anything that can be done to fix it? Can it be reglued?

THANKS!
Old 10-03-2006, 10:15 PM
aminnich
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome neighbor. Afraid I can not help you with the dash, but congrat's on the vette.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:16 AM
family man
Heel & Toe

Default classic GM build quality

My '95 is doing the same thing, but not so much that it looks particularly bad. Don't be surprised if your door panels pop off, too. Then watch for the carpet to wrinkle in the cargo area. I love Corvettes, but sometimes that classic GM build quality shines through.
Old 10-04-2006, 03:34 AM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Show us some pics mate Of the whole car and of this dash warpage you speak of. The amourall theory sounds pretty spot on to me, its nasty stuff.....
Old 10-04-2006, 11:09 AM
IrishJoker
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, please show us some pictures - as far as the Armor All goes - most of what you hear is "Old Wives Tales" The theory is that Armour All does one of the following:

A. Amour All leaves a shiney finish on your dash - hence it attracts heat - hence it causes warping. Or B:

B. Based upon the formulation of the product it causes your dash or plastic parts to dry out - hence the warping.

I've personally used Armour All over the years on many many vehicles - never found it to either cause or accelerate cracking.

Think about what goes on inside a closed car in the hot sun - heat builds up causing expansion - then you enter the car and the first thing done is the air conditioning is turned on causing contraction. This expansion and contraction is one cause of warping and cracking.

What I am getting at is this - there are many factors which cause damage to vinyl and plastic - it's the nature of the material being used. Plastic and vinyl "wear" out over a period of time - call it the nature of the beast if you will. Heck even leather will wear - there is no product on the market that will protect your interior 100%.

You can minimize wear damage on leather by keeping the surface supple - with lanoline based products.

You can lubricate plastic and vinyl with products by Amour All and Maquires etc. Most of these seem to use silicone as there base ingredient - I find keeping the interior cool and out of direct sun (using a sun shade when parked for long periods) works best to reduce - fade, warping and cracking.

Bottom line - it's "Age" that destroys plastic and vinyl not only the use of cleaning products.

There is a theory that points to Silicone as the main problem - the molecules are round in shape and may magnify sunlight - focusing the rays like a magnifying glass. If this is true it's a wonder dashes don't explode into flames - but it may be enough to cause cracking and warping to occur.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:39 AM
Gazpar
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Welcome to the club....

As for the warping, it may just be time to get a new dash
Old 10-04-2006, 12:53 PM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Welcome to the madness
Old 10-04-2006, 01:00 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Welcome to the obsession. I'll bet it was Mr sun that damaged your dash. You can get a used one from www.vette2vette.com or www.contemporarycorvette.com
Old 10-05-2006, 10:56 PM
Never Enough
2nd Gear

Thanks for all of the replies. I tried to get some good pictures to show you exactly what the issue is, but it didn't work out very well. I took a picture of the car and highlighted the area where the two close up pics were taken. If you look through the windshield, you can see the dash 'curled up' and the sponge backing is slightly exposed. Does this give you a more clear description? I was wondering if there is some way to glue it back down. Let me know what you think. Thanks!
Attached Images    

Last edited by Never Enough; 10-05-2006 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:31 AM
VetteTech81
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my 95' same way... I may be replacing it soon when I do the heater core...
-=Rick
Old 10-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

This is one thing my dash will NEVER do. Its made of fibre glass and skined with a simular vinyl, this is the only way to get it right hand drive.

Old 10-06-2006, 02:22 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default right hand drive

BLASPHEMY!
is that easy to drive like that?
Old 10-06-2006, 02:30 PM
JH23
Racer

BLASPHEMY!

LOL..you got that right...i'd be done took out everything i came across...i'd be totalled that vette...yes sir.

Jamie
Old 10-06-2006, 08:38 PM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by coupeguy2001
BLASPHEMY!
is that easy to drive like that?
Ofcourse it is mate, no different to driving a left hand drive. All cars in my state of Australia have to be right hand drive unless they are over 30 years old.

Get notified of new replies

To Dash Warping

Quick Reply: Dash Warping