Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What are the symptoms of leaking heater core?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 04:54 PM
Eakster
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What are the symptoms of leaking heater core?

Hi guys, this is my first post here although I've been reading your very helpful and friendly forums for a few months now.

I am about to hand over the money for a very nice 96 LT4 which is exactly the car I am looking for. It is awesome mechanically and there is a good list of recent work, with receipts.

The only thing wrong with it I could find was a certain, how can I describe it - puke - smell when I was in the car. It went away once we got going with windows open and when the aircon was on.
The owner denied smelling it but is a very honest guy generally and I trust him (spent a long time checking everything out, including owner) and he had a really powerful new air freshner in there when I saw the car. Also could smell cleaning fluids from the usual interior pre-sell car cleaning ritual. I could also smell rubber once he'd shown me 'what it can do'.

I just remembered I also noticed the bottom of the windscreen fogging up after we'd been driving from one place to another and I got in it and drove. I turned the air on to clear it. I assumed it was from the aircon - it was a hot LA day. I dont know C4s and it was my first time driving *any* corvette. Is this normal?

Someone suggested to me that it might be a leaky heater core. So could you tell me what would be the symptoms? Is a pukey smell one of them? I know aircons can get a bit pongy and you can just spray anti-bacterial agents up there. I didn't smell coolant. The car has been sitting for a bit while it was for sale - owner bought a C5 Z06 and has been driving that.

I know I have to check the carpet in the passenger side footwell for wetness - I will do that when I go up there for the final check.

Basically at the moment nothing is going to stop me buying this car, but I do need advice on heater core if it's something I'm going to have to fix, or do I just need a good valet with shampoo extractor?

Any advice much appreciated!

-Eaks

Last edited by Eakster; 10-05-2006 at 04:57 PM. Reason: changed a line
Old 10-05-2006, 05:01 PM
zo1boy
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

possibly, fogged windsheild, the smell makes me curious though. Maybe it smells pukey because it has leaked for a while now? If it is the heater core, you'll soon find its REAL fun to change... (sarcasm)
Old 10-05-2006, 05:36 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Usually the inside windshield will have a greasy film on it. The passenger side floor as mention will be wet and smell like coolant on your fingers when rubbed. Also check up in-underneath the dash on the pasenger side while the heater is on for wetness or leaking. Check to see if the heater works and under the hood to see the heater core has been bypassed. I wouldn't call it a pukey smell...more like a mold smell. Check both floorboard while your at it, it might tell you if there is a leak from rain. Hell you can even take it for a drive by yourself and pull the passenger side carpet up and look under it for wetness.

If the pass floor is wet and you happen to taste it...it will be sweet tasting.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:48 PM
DonF
Drifting

Default Heater core

I wouldn't taste it if it smells like puke! But to each their own. I agree w/ above on how to find out if it is leaking. Mine went out in my 89 & I didn't have time to do the work myself so I checked around & got the best price & turn around from a good Radiator shop. I think it was around $275.00. Good Luck!!
Old 10-05-2006, 05:57 PM
Bigredwing
Melting Slicks

Received 425 Likes on 301 Posts

I would not worry about the fogging windshield yet. Mine does that under certain conditions and clears once the A/C starts dehumidifying. The puke smell might be just that, or perhaps the interior got drenched. I'd look real close under the car and under the mats and inside the storage compartments (pull out the tray and look for moisture) to make sure it's not a flood victum too. Might be worth while to have him drop the spare tire and check that too although it might be overkill.
Old 10-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Jet-Jock
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Those are pretty good indications of a heater core leak. Most of the time they are just pin hole leaks most likely in the weld joints. It only takes a drop to cause that. Unless it burst open you will not likely get any moisture inside the vehicle as the core case seals pretty good.

I am guessing but it probably has electronic AC. That system cycles warm air and cold air to set the desired temperature from the display. Every time the heater door opens to mix some warm air, you will probably get a whiff of coolant scent. Then it will go away. If you stop the vehicle shut it off and let it sit for a bit come back out when you turn the ignition to run it will most likely create an initial fog in the lower portion of the windshield but will disappear once the AC system is running.

I would recommend a GM core plus it's best to replace several of the hoses while there. The job is quite detailed and a royal PITA, allow about 12-14 hrs the first time. If you don't have a factory service manual put that first on your list of items to buy. See www.helm.com. Don't waste your money on a chilton manual.

Other smells may be related to a contaiminated evaporator. The air is taken in across the evaporator core and enters the firewall at the heater core case opening. It also could be a sign that the evaporator has a leak and the refrigerant oil is collected on the core fins and clogged up with all kinds of junk and mold.

Process of replacing the heater core you would be removing the coolant surge tank. Once that is removed along with the two hose at that point to access the evaporator you only have a few more bolts and removal of a brace to gain access by removing the outer side of the evaporator case. You will also have to remove the passenger side fender panel as well (Corvette fenders are the lower portion with the gills).
Old 10-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Eakster
Safety Car

Thanks all, you guys are awesome.

On the 'other' forum I just got one guy trying to argue about the value of LT4s at the moment, rather than anyone helping me with the issue. Should have come here first

If I was to take this in to a good garage for the work, what am I looking at? 275 doesn't sound like much for an all-day job.. ?

I will do all these checks on Saturday. I'm hoping it's just puke somewhere - I imagine its cheaper to valet the car rather than pull it apart ..
Old 10-05-2006, 11:15 PM
Flexible2000
4th Gear

Default I just had my heater core replaced...

Just had my '86 done. 66K mile on the vehicle... here are my symptoms...Strong odor from the dash vents, sweet smell (like coolant), low coolant light would activate intermittently (loss of pressure?), damp carpet but not necessary, small droplets on floor under passenger foot tray. I called a few shops to see what the labor
hours were before deciding which shop should do it. I was charged for 5 hours of labor, total with GM parts was $520. good luck...
Old 10-05-2006, 11:25 PM
Eakster
Safety Car

Thanks

I just did the mother of all searches and read all the heater core horror stories on the forum.. ok I see now it's a big job!

I don't really have the facilities to do a job like this - dark basement parking or a busy street..

This is the first time I've hoped someone has vomited in a car I'm about to buy
Old 10-06-2006, 08:36 AM
VetteTech81
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could have a heater core leak... or moisture build up in the A/C system and some mold... there is a product you spray into the ducts and cowl that neutalizes ordor, mold, ect...

Good Luck, I've bypassed my heater core since I only drive it in the summer but will be doing mine soon enough... fall is chilly out here..
-=Rick
Old 10-06-2006, 09:33 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigredwing
I would not worry about the fogging windshield yet. Mine does that under certain conditions and clears once the A/C starts dehumidifying.
Seems like a lot of C4's will fog momentarily under certain odd conditions. If the fogging will not go away within a few seconds, then you have water in the heater/evaporator box, either from a leaking core or a plugged drain hole.
A leaking core will smell like antifreeze, not vomit. Antifreeze doesn't 'sour'.

If the price is right on that LT4, tell the seller that a shop charges $1500 to replace the core and to take that much off the asking price. Good luck with the purchase, Eakster.

There is a drain hole under the large black plastic box mounted on the firewall on the passenger side. Reach down and feel around for it....if your fingers come up with 'greasy' water (antifreeze), then you know it's a leaking heater.

Larry
code5coupe

Last edited by rocco16; 10-06-2006 at 09:37 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To What are the symptoms of leaking heater core?

Quick Reply: What are the symptoms of leaking heater core?