Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

How to make my car less attractive to thieves/vandals?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2006, 02:19 PM
Digital Disaster
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Put Mustang emblems on it.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:26 PM
Eakster
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you seen wheel locks/ gear shift locks ?

Where I'm from car theft and petty vandalism is ramapant. Many people get steering wheel locks - they are often painted bright colors and are very very visible. They vary hugely in quality and stopping time, but it's a visible deterrent and I think that's what you're after. forget about baseball bats and weapons in the car - can you guarantee they won't use it against you? - You want to make your car as unappealing as possible.

Secondly there are trnasmission locks - they work the same way as the steering locks - big lumps of brightly colored metal you lock/ unlock over the gear shift making it unuseable. You get used to taking them off and on all the time.

Lastly you keep open all the storage bins- make sure they can see there's nothing in there. If you have a CD player, cover it up - you can buy cheap dash covers.

Then physically prevent them from taking it - install the dead switch like has been suggested or kill the ignition by removing something.

Can't help with the paranoia - that comes as standard with all Vettes

- Someone let one of my tires down last weekend - that's enough to make me nervous and weirded out

-cheers
Old 11-13-2006, 02:33 PM
All2kool
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trunk Monkey Theft Deterrent System as seen here: http://www.trunkmonkey.com/content/view/44/51/
Old 11-13-2006, 02:39 PM
jakers
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Default College Life...

Well here is the bad news. It will not be the last time it happens if you hang around campus for a few more years.

Nice cars + campus azzholes + the parasites that hang around the campus = theft and vandalism.

The only time I ever had cars damaged by vandals and theives was in apartment parking lots and at the bars when I was in College. There is a large group of envious low-lifes that steal from what they think are a bunch of "rich college kids". It is unfortunate but it is a reality.

I would buy a $500 beat up *** econo box and store the vette at home. Is Louisville a urban campus?

The last time I had a car valdalized was in Marietta, Georgia. In fact, it was the night that I went to pick up my vette from the seller. My only guess is that as we loaded the car onto the trailer we pissed someone off (We tried to avoid this). So, some low-life weenie cut a $175 tire on my Yukon because he had to walk 50 feet farther than he wanted to. Or someone cut the tire because here is some guy in a Yukon towing a vette??/!! Some people!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 02:52 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by LouisvilleLT4
there's a pesky vandal that lurks around my parking lot at night; one night they stabbed through my weatherstrip with a metal rod, and then one night they took a crowbar and bent my door handle which also destroyed my door panel.

I assume the crook wanted to either gut my interior and sell the parts, or steal the car outright; I don't keep anything valuable or anything at all in sight inside the car.
Sounds like an amature wants to poke around in your ride. Most likely a kid. You need to give him a complete view that there is nothing of value. AND get an alarm with a proximity sensor that will let him know when he is too close.

This will deter him, or **** him off. Ya gotta take that chance.

If you trace the wiring harness that runs up the inside r/h side behind the pass seat, there is a lite blue wire. This is the power to the fuel pump.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:55 PM
John88RedVette
Racer

Originally Posted by zo1boy
Put a honda emblem on it.
LOL Good one!!!
Old 11-13-2006, 03:09 PM
Cadder
Instructor

You and a friend could always camp out in the car with the cover on. When the vandal tries to lift the cover snap a picture and be ready to drive off in case he didn't want his picture taken in the first place.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Mekanic
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

depending on what alarm you have, either add a proximity sensor to it, or get an alarm that you can add a proximity sensor to.

Viper is the best IMHO, and thats after 8 years in the CA&E world. Get yourself a nice Viper alarm with a pager, glass break and shock sensors, and then a proximity sensor.

When someone stands within 5' of the car for more than about 10 seconds, a warning alarm goes off, either a few fast chirps of the alarm (more like loud beeps) to say get away. Or if you want to spend the extra $100 on the Viper Voice Module, your car will actually tell them to **** off.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:23 PM
bsmutz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My '69 Camaro had a Grant steering wheel in it. I bought a locking device that they sell that allows you to remove the steering wheel in a couple of seconds and take it in the house with you. Won't stop vandalism, though.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:37 PM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

there isnt much that can prevent vandals from doing this unless you stay up and catch the bastards and them show them how to not mess with your car anymore one night.

if you park close to your bedroom window, add an alarm with shock sensors to it that will wake you and everyone else up to that annoying alarm sound...

... I feel that if I would have had an alarm installed at one of the old apartments I lived at, I wouldn't have had my Vette broken into and stripped clean. The noise of the alarm would have woken my roommate at the time up.

A car cover only confirms you have something nice to cover up.
Dark tint, while very nice in the hot sun, is something that attracts crooks though... which I had at the time too. They can't see in, so they figure something good must be inside.

unless you have a garage, there isn't anything you can really do
Old 11-13-2006, 03:54 PM
CMYC4GO
Melting Slicks

Sell the Vette, and get one of these:

Problem solved!
Old 11-13-2006, 04:35 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 11-13-2006, 04:38 PM
94ZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06

Originally Posted by Johnfur
2. Dent the fenders.

Show me how to do this
Old 11-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn_65
I say get some kinda servaliance(spelling?) system. hide a few camera's in the bushes and wax your ride... get the fool and sew him for everything he has..which is probably a lot if he hasn't been caught... unless he hurts himself while breaking into your vehicle...than your liable..

I dont know how it works these days... its rediculous... I dont even know if you can sew somone for trying to steal something, but you can atleast catch him and have him pay for the damage...

sorry if any of that was ignorant..i'm 19...
What are you going to sew him to?
Old 11-13-2006, 04:47 PM
Gazpar
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikey whipreck

EDIT::: oh... and wheel locks.
Although I have them, Its always puzzled me as to the wheel lock thing.

Who here does NOT leave your wheel lock key in your center console or trunk?

My rims have centercaps, which require a LARGE wrench, which I keep with my lug key in the vehicle.

If they see you have wheel locks, wont that just encourage them to bust your glass or such and retrive the key; or are we banking on the idea that thats too much effort?

I was always told if thieves want it, there going to get it... All we can do is make it as hard as practical.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:56 PM
zo1boy
Le Mans Master

I have a lot of left over parts from a Tazer company, so when I have about two weeks to myself, I'm going to devise an anti theft system that will immobilze the perp until I get back to the car.
Old 11-13-2006, 04:57 PM
dallasknight
Instructor

Default someone you know

the joker is someone you so set atrap park your car where you can see it tell your friends your going out of town one night with a friends then buy yourself a louiville slugger (wood no vibrations) and set and watch it. when i lived in apt it kept getting broke into so i started parking up the roan in the next complex it took about a week before the broke in again it was my neighbors that were coming in and stealing everything just make that guy walk with a cain from now on do not do anything to get into too much trouble but a broke knee works very well

Get notified of new replies

To How to make my car less attractive to thieves/vandals?

Old 11-13-2006, 05:07 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Boy, does this forum need a SPELL CHECKER!!
Old 11-13-2006, 05:08 PM
kopbet89c4
Safety Car

Originally Posted by LouisvilleLT4
In Texas, it is actually legal to shoot someone if they are in the act of stealing your ride, because the law there acknowledges how much car theft screws someone over, and that police can't respond fast enough to do any prevention, so you are allowed take matters into your own hands...

But you still have to catch them in the act.
If only that was legal in FL, it would have been done more than once by me... freakin' gun hatin' liberals...
Old 11-13-2006, 05:25 PM
LouisvilleLT4
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dallasknight
the joker is someone you so set atrap park your car where you can see it tell your friends your going out of town one night with a friends then buy yourself a louiville slugger (wood no vibrations) and set and watch it. when i lived in apt it kept getting broke into so i started parking up the roan in the next complex it took about a week before the broke in again it was my neighbors that were coming in and stealing everything just make that guy walk with a cain from now on do not do anything to get into too much trouble but a broke knee works very well

:o

Quick Reply: How to make my car less attractive to thieves/vandals?