Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

The worst thing about owning a Corvette in Australia....

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 09:59 PM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 38 Posts

Default The worst thing about owning a Corvette in Australia....

My right hand radiator end tank on my 94 has a very small split in it and is leaking, the local Corvette dealer (which is also the biggest in Australia) doesnt have one and dont think they can get one before christmas, the GM Australia spare parts place dont even have the part number on file, even though there is a few parts i can buy from them.

Would be good to be able to walk into the dealer in just such an emergency and get the part there and then!!!
Old 12-05-2006, 10:07 PM
W89
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

that sucks, but its a trade off living somewhere as nice as Australia and having a vette to rome around in.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:09 PM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,577 Likes on 2,761 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Part#44287 for manual or #44288 for auto.
Corvette America Phone number 1800-458-3475 or out side North America Phone 717-667-3004.
www.corvetteamerica.com I find these guys to be fairly quick.
Good luck with it all, I'll be in your shoes in another couple of years when we move back to Australia.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:20 PM
ozvette87
Pro

Case, i know, i sympathise... its even worse in Wa, we have to wait even longer due to shipment from the eastern states.
that sucks mate, having to wait till after christmas.

im guessing that would be Corvette Queensland you are refering to?
sorry its a bit off topic, but, those c6's they are starting to bring in, do they have government approval and a warranty?
Old 12-05-2006, 10:39 PM
scranage
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will laugh, but give JB Weld a try. I fixed a water jacket crack in a Landcruiser block 15 years ago "temporarily", and it is still holding, and I am still tripping over the replacement block waiting for it to need to be installed. Just drill stop holes in either end, v-grove the crack, and apply the JB to the dry surface.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:49 PM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,577 Likes on 2,761 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

O.K. Case, Most of the time my australian wife talks to you. now it's my turn. the rad, tank is probably repairable. I have T.I.G. welded a few and yes J B weld just may do the trick. We ship things to OZ all the time, most of the time it takes about a week. If you need a new rad fast let me know. As I live only about 3 miles from the largest Corvette dealer in Wisconsin.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:53 PM
jimkmyc5
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't try welding plastic.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:04 PM
scranage
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, the tanks on the OEM rad are plastic or composit. JB Weld is an epoxy that should hold you over till you can replace the tank with a new part. Back in the day when I was into 4WD, my buddies and I would never go off road without it, and used to tell each other JB Weld rescue stories when we got together for a beer.
Old 12-05-2006, 11:51 PM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ozvette87
Case, i know, i sympathise... its even worse in Wa, we have to wait even longer due to shipment from the eastern states.
that sucks mate, having to wait till after christmas.

im guessing that would be Corvette Queensland you are refering to?
sorry its a bit off topic, but, those c6's they are starting to bring in, do they have government approval and a warranty?
I wont have to wait that long mate, ill get it quicker than that, just wont be from them!! (in emergency situations i will pay their prices, but if i can afford to wait i can get it cheaper then what they acctually pay for it themselves)

Yes, Corvette QLD does have the approval for the C6 Australian compliance, and they are the only place in the country that does as far as i know. I certainly wouldnt go anywhere else for a C4 or C5 conversion, although if it was 84 to 89 i would do the conversion myself.
Originally Posted by 4-vettes
Part#44287 for manual or #44288 for auto.
Corvette America Phone number 1800-458-3475 or out side North America Phone 717-667-3004.
www.corvetteamerica.com I find these guys to be fairly quick.
Good luck with it all, I'll be in your shoes in another couple of years when we move back to Australia.
Yep, i know of the place, abit on the expensive side though for some things. The GM part numbers are 52454666 for the auto and 52450316 if anyone wanted them
Originally Posted by 4-vettes
O.K. Case, Most of the time my australian wife talks to you. now it's my turn. the rad, tank is probably repairable. I have T.I.G. welded a few and yes J B weld just may do the trick. We ship things to OZ all the time, most of the time it takes about a week. If you need a new rad fast let me know. As I live only about 3 miles from the largest Corvette dealer in Wisconsin.
HAHA!! no worries mate, i had no idea there was 2 of you!! Im just waiting to hear back from a mate in Colorado (who has been extremly busy last few weeks) and see how long it will take him to get it, apparently the part is discontinued, so if that option is no good mate ill let you know. Thanks very much for the offer!!

I have slathered a heap of Permatex ULTRA COPPER RTV on it, its only vey minor at this stage, but being plastic i dont think its going to matter what i do, its going to fail whenever its ready!!

Thanks everyone
Old 12-06-2006, 12:12 PM
redwing76
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Australia?
Well, what didja expect, your iether at the center of the earth or at the bottom. Its all in how you look at it.

If I didn't live here, I'd want to live there.
Old 12-06-2006, 01:36 PM
GIJoe
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

I dont know what it is called, but I used some kind of putty stuff on my wife's radiator in her Altima where it had a tiny split in the top of it (on the plastic). It looked like a tootsie roll, you tore off a chunk and neaded it up really good (it got hot to the touch) then you just kind of molded it on and around the split, and after a couple hours it had basically welded itself to the plastic and was as hard as the plastic was and was impossible to pick off.

its holding well still!

It might be something you can find in an autoparts or hardware store maybe for a temp fix.
Old 12-06-2006, 02:06 PM
fdevole
Intermediate

this is where I buy repair epoxy putty

http://www.newpig.com/en_US/st/2CPOP...IRPUTTIES.html
Old 12-06-2006, 02:43 PM
freakinwalt
Intermediate

You can repair those plastic tanks pretty easily with plastic gas tank repair kit. It's a repair kit made for plastic gas tanks on lawn mowers.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:18 PM
Bob89c4
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do they sell Stops Leaks Downunder?
Old 12-06-2006, 03:49 PM
RRT vette
Le Mans Master

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Casethecorvetteman
The worst thing about owning a Corvette in Australia....
Thought you were going to say.....dodging kangaroos.
Old 12-06-2006, 04:52 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 239 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob89c4
I've used that and would never do it again. It clogged the radiator on the car I used it on so it was running at half capacity

Regarding the side tanks, I blew out both my side tanks at a track event. I replaced it with an aftermarket full aluminum unit that was thicker and I'm never going back.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:50 PM
ozvette87
Pro

Originally Posted by RRT vette
Dont laugh mate, i had one jump clean over my car a while back...... lengthways!! i think i made more mess in my pants than what that bugger would have bloody done to the outside.
Old 12-06-2006, 07:28 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 232 Likes on 164 Posts

Case, you probably know this. If you loosen the radiator cap half way it will not build pressure and take the load off the weak area till you get it fixed.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:06 AM
Casethecorvetteman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RRT vette
Yeah mate, that is next on the adgenda...
Originally Posted by ozvette87
Dont laugh mate, i had one jump clean over my car a while back...... lengthways!! i think i made more mess in my pants than what that bugger would have bloody done to the outside.
Yep, they are dangerous barstards of things!!!! I slow right down when ever i see them anywhere near a road.
Originally Posted by Bob89c4
Yep, that is a bad idea.
Originally Posted by Spankyellow
Case, you probably know this. If you loosen the radiator cap half way it will not build pressure and take the load off the weak area till you get it fixed.
Sure do mate Thats exactly what i did as soon as i found there was an issue, and that should probably give me half as much time again ontop of what i had before it will let go. I havent had to use the car in the last couple days, and should be right tomorrow too, so it wont get much use between now and when i can get a permanant solution to fix the issue

Thanks everyone for the advice and replies

Get notified of new replies

To The worst thing about owning a Corvette in Australia....

Quick Reply: The worst thing about owning a Corvette in Australia....