C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Which New Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 11:12 AM
gproberson
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which New Tires?

I have narrowed the tire selection for my 1990 Corvette to two different sets. One set has a rating or 320 AA, the has a rating of 220 AA. The 320 rating will give me longer tread life, but I am afraid they won't stick as well in the corners as the 220 rating. Which tire do you guys think I should go with? Thanks for you advice!
Old 01-04-2007, 11:29 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Too many characteristics beside treadwear when deciding on a tire.
In fact, treadwear would be my LAST consideration............

For most of us, a Corvette's tires will get old, hard, and slippery long before they wear out from street use....so we'd be replacing the tire before we saw all the tread life the tire is capable of anyway.

They both have a traction rating of AA, yet one has a treadwear rating of 320 and one has 220?? Tell us what tires you are talking about and you'll get more opinions.

My own opinon?
Just forget the treadwear rating and get the tire you like the best.

Larry
code5coupe
Old 01-04-2007, 01:03 PM
GUSTO14
Le Mans Master

Received 1,962 Likes on 1,283 Posts

Treadwear numbers are really only relative numbers. If the two numbers you provided are for the same manufacturer's tires, it is pretty valid. Valid in that you can expect the 320 to outlast the 220 rated tire... all else being equal.

When comparing one manufacturers tire to another's, it is much less reliable a determining factor. But yes generally speaking, you can expect a rating of 320 to last longer than a rating of 220. How much longer is probably more dependent upon the way you drive than the actual rating. And yes, generally speaking, the lower the number, the more grip the tire will normally exhibit over a like tire with a higher number.

If you go to The Tire Rack website, you will find a section that talks all about the different ratings of tires, to include tread wear. Great information and you will come away a much better informed consumer.

Good luck... GUSTO

Get notified of new replies

To Which New Tires?

Quick Reply: Which New Tires?