C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Interior Upgrades for my '89 Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2007, 11:20 PM
Siveck
Drifting

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Default Interior Upgrades for my '89 Roadster

I have installed a GM Delco cd player from an Oldsmobile and the breadloaf is now gone. I purchased the cd player at the local Pull A Part for $13 and had it rebuilt by Dr. Don. The previous owner had a Pioneer unit that didn't match the dash very well. Also, the previous owner had ripped out most of the Bose stuff, so I have completely abandoned that system. I have Infinity combination type speakers in the dash and Sony X type 6x9's in the back. It sounds nice for not having external amps and subs and such. I just didn't feel the need to lose any valuable space as there is not much of that in a vert. I had to cut the holes in the dash grills as the Bose cars had no speakers there. I wrapped them in some black cloth from the fabric store and they look brand new. The Infinity speakers were a very tight fit in the dash as the magnets are huge. They are worth the squeeze as they have a very clear sound. Overall, I'm very happy with the setup.

Last edited by Siveck; 01-29-2007 at 06:46 PM. Reason: New Pictures
Old 01-29-2007, 12:11 AM
trulytex
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hold onto your wallet, cause this can get expensive! If you look in this pic, you can see...

Info Center Cover
Leather Shift Boot (changed from black to tan)
Wood Dash Kit (installed by previous owner)
Wood Grain Shift ****
Embroidered Floor Mats
Plaque between Seat Controls

Another way to freshen up you vette, although exterior mod, is new emblems. I went with the Gold, and they made a big difference. The originals were really faded and tired looking.

Old 01-29-2007, 06:51 PM
Siveck
Drifting

Yes, that looks like it was a bit expensive, but it sure looks nice.

I will have to find a hard top for mine someday. Not that i would ever use it, but it would be nice to have. My cloth top is really ragged, that will likely be next. Then all of the leather and so on........... Oh yes, and then there is the front cover plate on the bumper. Someone stuck a '91-'96 style cover on my '89 bumper .
Old 01-29-2007, 07:24 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Go slow and look at lot's of Vettes 'cause you can really "***** up" one of these cars if you're not careful. Nice start though!
Old 01-29-2007, 07:29 PM
skybolt31
Drifting

Received 87 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by Siveck
I have installed a GM Delco cd player from an Oldsmobile and the breadloaf is now gone. I purchased the cd player at the local Pull A Part for $13 and had it rebuilt by Dr. Don. The previous owner had a Pioneer unit that didn't match the dash very well. Also, the previous owner had ripped out most of the Bose stuff, so I have completely abandoned that system. I have Infinity combination type speakers in the dash and Sony X type 6x9's in the back. It sounds nice for not having external amps and subs and such. I just didn't feel the need to lose any valuable space as there is not much of that in a vert. I had to cut the holes in the dash grills as the Bose cars had no speakers there. I wrapped them in some black cloth from the fabric store and they look brand new. The Infinity speakers were a very tight fit in the dash as the magnets are huge. They are worth the squeeze as they have a very clear sound. Overall, I'm very happy with the setup.

Any trouble mounting the radio? I was thinking of doing the same thing, using a spare radio that I had for my Blazer, I think the sound quality will be good enough for me and look somewhat stock
Old 01-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Siveck
Drifting

The radio bolted in with the Vette brackets. I also removed all of the Bose stuff that remained. I did update the wiring connector to the newer GM style as the radio came from a '93 Oldsmobile and I removed the plug at the yard. My harness was hacked out by the previous owner. I used some high quailty RF 16 GA speaker wire and soldered the olds harness into the Vette and covered with heat shrink. Good quality speakers will make a difference. Make sure that you are not trying to connect a non-Bose head unit to Bose speakers.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:48 PM
Brtheez
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That radio is pretty cool. What year and make of other GM vehicles is compatible? I have an 89 vert myself. I had heard that you need a special wiring harness and another piece to make it work. I can't remeber what the other piece is. Also like the flat look on the passenger dash. Is the metal bracket behind the bread box a pain to remove? Thanks for any advice.
Old 01-29-2007, 08:00 PM
Siveck
Drifting

The bread box was a pain to remove. I didn't want to cut anything, so I removed it the correct way and it was not fun. I had to remove the lower plastic panel and computer to remove the lower left bolt. I used some long extensions.

The radio that I have was used in alot of '90-'94 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supremes. The '89 Vette plug needs to be adapted to the newer GM ('88-'96?) style plug. And then the Bose would need to be dealt with or removed. A reverse GM mini antenna adapter will be needed as the Cutlass radio has a small port and the Vette has a large antenna. This $15 part can be found online at Crutchfield as it is not a common adapter.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:39 AM
87vette
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is very well done! I thought about doing that myself as well for my 87 vert.
Old 01-30-2007, 06:25 PM
Siveck
Drifting

Thank you for the kind words .

Now I just need to determine how to match the blue LED display on the radio to the green LED display on the climate control.
Old 01-30-2007, 10:54 PM
champs65
Le Mans Master

Received 102 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Brtheez
That radio is pretty cool. What year and make of other GM vehicles is compatible? I have an 89 vert myself. I had heard that you need a special wiring harness and another piece to make it work. I can't remeber what the other piece is. Also like the flat look on the passenger dash. Is the metal bracket behind the bread box a pain to remove? Thanks for any advice.
Piece of cake! 95-99 Lumina/Monte Carlo (maybe S10 too) radio is similar and a good fit; and yes, an antenna adapter is needed. Power antenna & dimming works with this radio and an early C4 harness too.

BTW, looks stock and I think it sounds GREAT!
Old 01-30-2007, 11:24 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Siveck

Very tasteful mod, looks great too
Old 01-30-2007, 11:28 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by trulytex
Hold onto your wallet, cause this can get expensive! If you look in this pic, you can see...

Info Center Cover
Leather Shift Boot (changed from black to tan)
Wood Dash Kit (installed by previous owner)
Wood Grain Shift ****
Embroidered Floor Mats
Plaque between Seat Controls

Another way to freshen up you vette, although exterior mod, is new emblems. I went with the Gold, and they made a big difference. The originals were really faded and tired looking.

That gold package looks good on the Polo Green I have it on my 90 Dark Metallic red as well. Besides maybe Black and White I dont think any other vett colors could pull the gold emblem look off. Goldcylon
Old 01-31-2007, 08:30 PM
Brtheez
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by champs85
Piece of cake! 95-99 Lumina/Monte Carlo (maybe S10 too) radio is similar and a good fit; and yes, an antenna adapter is needed. Power antenna & dimming works with this radio and an early C4 harness too.

BTW, looks stock and I think it sounds GREAT!
Cool, would I need to worry about any modifications to my Bose speakers. Where would I pick up the wiring harness?
Old 01-31-2007, 11:07 PM
Siveck
Drifting

If you use a non-Bose head unit, make sure to remove the Bose speakers. There may be some sort of adapter or something to interface with the Bose speakers, but it will likely be more trouble later on. Some high quality speakers and speaker wire would be a good modification. However, if you want to keep the Bose, there are some Bose head units in Cadillacs and such. I'm not sure about the interface between '80's Bose speakers and '90's Bose head units. I have seen a Bose head unit that looks like mine in an early to mid '90's Cadillac. I think that some of the 4th generation Camaros had the Bose option as well.

Get notified of new replies

To Interior Upgrades for my '89 Roadster

Quick Reply: Interior Upgrades for my '89 Roadster