C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Cheap Duralast Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 01:58 PM
ChickMagnet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cheap Duralast Brake Pads

My rear pads are worn and I'm going to change the pads out myself. I know most people on the forum recommend Hawks and AC Delco ceramic...but can't find any around here. Thinking about going with the 21.99 Lifetime Warranty Duralast pads at autozone. Anyone have anything good to say about these?
Old 03-25-2007, 02:03 PM
BADDUCK
Le Mans Master

Location: One day you're a Comet...the next day you're dust... Arkansas
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yeah! if you change your own pads how can you go wrong! Even if you only get 15K, free forever is hard to beat.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:06 PM
Buttz
Racer

those pads are hard as a rock they will chew up your rotors in no time. I have them on my f250, I ended up buying their lifetime rotors after going through my 2nd set of rotors in a year and a half.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:20 PM
ChickMagnet
Racer

Originally Posted by BADDUCK
Yeah! if you change your own pads how can you go wrong! Even if you only get 15K, free forever is hard to beat.
15k miles...that's a good 2 years or more for me

Originally Posted by Buttz
those pads are hard as a rock they will chew up your rotors in no time. I have them on my f250, I ended up buying their lifetime rotors after going through my 2nd set of rotors in a year and a half.
Wow, what kind of people design pads that chew up rotors? You sure that's under normal driving or do you mash the brakes a lot.
I think I definitely will not go with the Duralast after that comment however. Looks like it's off to Pep Boys.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:33 PM
Grease Monkey
Team Owner

Cruise-In 8-9 Veteran
aka/Trunk Monkey/Banned For Life/Corvette For Life

Originally Posted by ChickMagnet
15k miles...that's a good 2 years or more for me

Wow, what kind of people design pads that chew up rotors? You sure that's under normal driving or do you mash the brakes a lot.
I think I definitely will not go with the Duralast after that comment however. Looks like it's off to Pep Boys.
I use them, and my rotors are fine.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:38 PM
ChickMagnet
Racer

Originally Posted by Corvette for life
I use them, and my rotors are fine.
back to autozone
Old 03-25-2007, 03:02 PM
moore299
Racer

I use them......
Old 03-25-2007, 03:11 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Lifetime warranty on crap parts is a bad way to start, IMO. You get what you pay for.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:16 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 68 Likes on 34 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

I assume at that price they are not the Duralast ceramics. But I currently have Duralast ceramics on the front of mine and have not been pleased with them. I've used United and Raybestos ceramics before though and was quite pleased with them. I haven't experienced any rotor wear with any of them however but will soon be installing Hawk HPS at all four corners. I would recommend a proper bedding in process for whatever you choose, it'll pay dividends in the long run.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:17 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

I assume at that price they are not the Duralast ceramics. But I currently have Duralast ceramics on the front of mine and have not been pleased with them. I've used United and Raybestos ceramics before though and was quite pleased with them. I haven't experienced any rotor wear with any of them however but will soon be installing Hawk HPS at all four corners. I would recommend a proper bedding in process for whatever you choose, it'll pay dividends in the long run.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:41 PM
ChickMagnet
Racer

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
Lifetime warranty on crap parts is a bad way to start, IMO. You get what you pay for.
Your probably right, but for my purpose it might work, I really don't need high performance brake pads for my driving style. And even if they don't last a year, I'll just take them out and get new ones thanks to the warranty.

Originally Posted by Corvette Kid
I went with the duralast pads. You are correct, they are not the ceramics. They are really cheap, and I'll be happy with them as long as they don't make noise or "eat my rotors." Could you elaborate on the proper bedding in process.
Old 03-25-2007, 03:56 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by ChickMagnet
I went with the duralast pads. You are correct, they are not the ceramics. They are really cheap, and I'll be happy with them as long as they don't make noise or "eat my rotors." Could you elaborate on the proper bedding in process.
Cheapies are more prone to make noise but bedding them in may help with that too. Here's a good explanation of the process. Click
Old 03-25-2007, 04:00 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If a specific bedding procedure was needed, the pad would have come with a sheet explaning it. Most "replacement" stock -type pads don't require a bedding procedure.

The Hawk pads do have a bedding procedure that basically has you perform 6-10 stops with medium brake pressure from about 45 to 0. Then do 3-4 stops from about 60 to 0 and then let the pads sit for a couple of hours before normal use. This transfers material off the pad to the rotors and burnishes the pad and rotor surfaces.

Did you turn the rotors before installing the pads? Some shops do that to insure that the rotor is true (no warping) and that the surface is smooth to the point that you won't see uneven wear on the pads from ridges on the rotor surface.

There is not really a lot of "meat" on the Corvette rotors (they are stamped with a minimum thickness) and you may find that it's a better deal to just replace the rotors with new ones for the longest possible brake life.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

When you understand exactly what is occuring during this process, you'll understand why it is a benefit for any brakes. And true rotor "warpage" is extremely rare, regardless of whether the pedal "feels" as if the rotor is warped or not. It is usually not a warped rotor you are feeling. Read and learn....
Old 03-25-2007, 04:13 PM
ChickMagnet
Racer

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
If a specific bedding procedure was needed, the pad would have come with a sheet explaning it. Most "replacement" stock -type pads don't require a bedding procedure.

The Hawk pads do have a bedding procedure that basically has you perform 6-10 stops with medium brake pressure from about 45 to 0. Then do 3-4 stops from about 60 to 0 and then let the pads sit for a couple of hours before normal use. This transfers material off the pad to the rotors and burnishes the pad and rotor surfaces.

Did you turn the rotors before installing the pads? Some shops do that to insure that the rotor is true (no warping) and that the surface is smooth to the point that you won't see uneven wear on the pads from ridges on the rotor surface.

There is not really a lot of "meat" on the Corvette rotors (they are stamped with a minimum thickness) and you may find that it's a better deal to just replace the rotors with new ones for the longest possible brake life.
No, I'm not turning the rotors...just installing the pads. Hoping to get away with just putting in new pads.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:28 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I had the Duralast pads. They sucked. I mean they were so bad, they sucked and blew at the same time.

The pedal was SO soft with those pads... I remember the first time I drove to work... I hit the Fair Oaks exit off the 110, going into Pasadena... it's an uphill exit. I tapped the brakes, and I swear nothing happened. I had to stand on them to get it to stop. It wasn't long that I replaced them with Hawk HPS pads.

When I swapped them out, one of the sets had already lost it's wear indicator. Broken right in half. Not good.

Finally, these lifetime warrantees are a ****ing joke. They will give you exactly ONE free set of pads within the life of the pads. That's it.

Last edited by bogus; 03-25-2007 at 04:43 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Grease Monkey
Team Owner

Cruise-In 8-9 Veteran
aka/Trunk Monkey/Banned For Life/Corvette For Life

Originally Posted by bogus
I had the Duralast pads. They sucked. I mean they were so bad, they sucked and blew at the same time.

The pedal was SO soft with those pads... I remember the first time I drove to work... I hit the Fair Oaks exit off the 110, going into Pasadena... it's an uphill exit. I tapped the brakes, and I swear nothing happened. I had to stand on them to get it to stop. It wasn't long that I replaced them with Hawk HPS pads.

Also, at that time, I had a thread up on this experiement, and someone commented that that had these pads come apart on him. Not a good thing.

When I swapped them out, one of the sets had already lost it's wear indicator. Broken right in half. Not good.

Finally, these lifetime warrantees are a ****ing joke. They will give you exactly ONE free set of pads within the life of the pads. That's it.
I can out stop most car's out there with mine. It is a stock setup... but rebuilt system.

Get notified of new replies

To Cheap Duralast Brake Pads

Old 03-25-2007, 05:05 PM
mikeb
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 80 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

Don't know the brand name, But I got the equivalent lifetime pads front and rear for my '85 from Advance Auto parts.
Because it's an '85, I had to order them, they weren't in stock. Took 2 days to get them.

Been running them for 5 years now, not a single proble. But then again, my usage is leasurely, less than 2k miles/year.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

When you listen to the actors on any of the Star Trek series explain how the transporters work it all sounds so simple and believeable. This brake bedding stuff sounds a lot like that to me. Ask yourself this, when you but a brand new car, do you think anything like this procedure has been done? Ever had brake problems on a brand new car?
Old 03-25-2007, 10:23 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkC4
Ever had brake problems on a brand new car?

Yes.

Quick Reply: Cheap Duralast Brake Pads