C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

My parking brake is stuck on

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 11:05 AM
monstrocity
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default My parking brake is stuck on

Appraiser was over today taking pics of the car for my insurance company (it helps me get cheap insurance).

I go to back it out of the garage and the parking brake is stuck. All I did different was try to disengage it with ignition off, and it's possible I pulled up too hard. It feels like no matter how hard I pull up there's not enough "play" for it to catch and come back down.

Appraiser has had a few C4s and recommended I back it out anyway with parking brake on. Then go driving and it would free itself up. Tried this around the block and changed my mind... it was still sticking. Not to mention the garage smells pretty bad right now.

Did I wreck anything? How can I get it to disengage again? Any truth to this go drive it theory?
Old 04-18-2007, 12:03 PM
Fast Eddiz
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=monstrocity;1559871998]Appraiser was over today taking pics of the car for my insurance company (it helps me get cheap insurance).

I go to back it out of the garage and the parking brake is stuck. All I did different was try to disengage it with ignition off, and it's possible I pulled up too hard. It feels like no matter how hard I pull up there's not enough "play" for it to catch and come back down.

Appraiser has had a few C4s and recommended I back it out anyway with parking brake on. Then go driving and it would free itself up. Tried this around the block and changed my mind... it was still sticking. Not to mention the garage smells pretty bad right now.

Did I wreck anything? How can I get it to disengage again? Any truth to this go drive it theory?[/QUO

Use a screwdriver to trip the catch that holds the brake handle in the up position. This is located at the base of the handle. It may require removing the cover.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Wildride
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

First, remove the driver's side seat cushion. There is a wire bale attached to the bottom front center of the cushion that must be unlatched to remove the cushion. You may have to use a screwdriver to force the release.

You should then be able to get to the Parking Brake Lever Assembly and remove its cover. I think there are three Phillips head screws holding it on. A "stubby" screw driver is handy for accessing those screws.

You should then be able to see the Pawl that locks the lever. Use a flat head screw driver to force the pawl off of the ratchet and free the handle.
Old 04-18-2007, 12:50 PM
monstrocity
Pro

Thanks guys. Not sure if I was totally clear...

The brake is NOT stuck in the UP position. I can still move it up and down. But I can't make it catch to disengage the parking brake.

Same fix you're talking about?? Remove cover?
Old 04-18-2007, 01:12 PM
Greg0u812
Burning Brakes

Not to try and make this to simple.........BUT.............
Have you tried pulling the lever up all the way up and pushing the button at the end of the handle????? This is how the E-brake on the vette is designed to work (handle will swing back down with brake set.....to get it out of the way).

I found this out before I ever used the e-brake (luckily). I would have been stumped just like you seem to be right now.

and.......NOOOOOOOOOO.............DO NOT go driving around with the emergency brake set!!!!!! Not only will it not release.......it could tear up things!!!!!!!!

Don't tear into things before you try the simple fixes 1st!!!!!!!

Good luck with it and let us know
Old 04-18-2007, 01:16 PM
jmrl98
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have to have my foot on the brake and push the button on my 85 for some reason.....
Old 04-18-2007, 01:24 PM
Tommy T-Bone
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14

Pull the handle up. Push the disengage button. This should release the brake mechanism. Corvettes have a trick parking brake unlike any other I know.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:37 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Old 04-18-2007, 03:43 PM
monstrocity
Pro

Thanks everyone. I got it unstuck. I had to pull back super hard and finally it caught and it was able to catch.

So the new questions...

1. How bad did I screw up the car by driving about 1/4 mile with the brake on?

2. Do I really need to use the brake if I leave it in gear when parked?
Old 04-18-2007, 07:15 PM
Normseven
Racer

I only use the parkiing brake if on a grade.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:25 PM
GREGGPENN
Race Director

Received 394 Likes on 323 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by monstrocity
Thanks everyone. I got it unstuck. I had to pull back super hard and finally it caught and it was able to catch.

So the new questions...

1. How bad did I screw up the car by driving about 1/4 mile with the brake on?

1. 1/4 mile is not enough to do harm. (though the rear rotors might have gotten slighty warped -- which is fixable).
2. Auto -- no, stick -- yes. (esp when on grade).
Old 04-19-2007, 05:24 PM
nferr
Racer

I rarely use mine (automatic) because the damn light on the dash sometimes stays on even after the brake is released. If I fiddle around with the handle long enough when it's down I can get the light to go off but it's a pain in the butt. I'm sure there's a switch down there that needs to be adjusted but since the brake works when I need it too it's not worth the hassle right now.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:45 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by GREGGPENN
1. 1/4 mile is not enough to do harm. (though the rear rotors might have gotten slighty warped -- which is fixable).
2. Auto -- no, stick -- yes. (esp when on grade).

Auto on a grade. Manual Always!!!!
Old 10-11-2007, 12:10 AM
crossusc
2nd Gear

Default Parking Brake Issue - resolved

Hey everyone,
I just used this thread to fix my parking brake. Of course, it was my girlfriend who got it stuck in the first place - leaving me to save the day. C4 Vettes don't go so fast with the parking brake stuck!

So, here's what I had to do to fix my 89 C4 Vette's parking brake - hopefully this will help out someone in the future....

1) Remove the seat cushion. There is a wire in front at the bottom that you need to disengage.

2) Remove the entire seat (yes, you read correctly). Easier that I thought - just undo 4 bolts and it comes right out.

HINT: While you have the seat out, vaccuum the rug and wipe everything clean with a wipe or something like that.

3) Remove the cover of the parking brake - 2 phillips head screws on mine.
You should now see the guts of the parking brake.

Note: Mine was pulled all of the way up, almost like it went too far. I could move the parking brake handle up and down with no resistance. Also, the I could not press down on the button at the top of the handle.

4) There is a locking mechanism, where something that I can't really describe fits into the teeth of a gear ring. I took a flat head screwdriver and popped the unknown piece out of the gear tooth - this disengaged the parking brake and allowed me to now press the button on the handle and release like normal.

I hope this helps!

Oh yeah - I'm taking a poll on whether or not to let her behind the wheel again. Let me know your thoughts!
Old 10-11-2007, 12:17 PM
All2kool
Drifting

My Parking Brake disengages with just a push of the button - I do not have to raise the lever to release the brake. Is this normal?
Old 10-11-2007, 01:15 PM
Greg Gore
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

You didn't do it any good but if you were able to move the car and the trip was short you probably didn't hurt it. Sounds like the parking brake actuating lever free travel needs to be adjusted. This is a setscrew adjuster located in each of the rear brake calipers. The big return spring on each brake caliper has to be removed first to see what the free travel is.
Old 10-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by monstrocity

Back when I was 16, (I'm 58 now) I set the emergency brake one night after driving home in snow & slush, the car then sat overnight in below freezing temps. Took me 1/2 a day and a small propane torch to thaw it all out so the car would move. Haven't used the emergency brake since.

Get notified of new replies

To My parking brake is stuck on

Old 10-11-2007, 02:38 PM
All2kool
Drifting

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
Back when I was 16, (I'm 58 now) I set the emergency brake one night after driving home in snow & slush, the car then sat overnight in below freezing temps. Took me 1/2 a day and a small propane torch to thaw it all out so the car would move. Haven't used the emergency brake since.
When I was 16 (30 years ago), I used to drive the family's '66 Chev 1/2 Ton Custom PU to work. One day, me and Dad went somewhere. The truck seemed a little sluggish (to him). He asks: "Have you been hot rodding this truck?". I said no (not really true). A moment or two later I said: "Maybe if you release the Parking Brake it will feel right". He did and all was well.
Old 10-11-2007, 03:43 PM
mdlfcrss
Burning Brakes

Towards the end of last summer I was out walking my dog when I passed a guy parking his 'Vette on the downside of a hill, making very sure to cut the tires just right into the curb. Being curious, I asked him if his e-brake was broken. His reply was that "it was too hard to climb over the handle" once he had pulled it up!
Old 10-14-2007, 11:40 PM
matrix040
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You might want to take the rear tires off, and check on the inside of the rotor where the parking brake shoes are.
sometimes there is alot of buildup of dirt and grime.that will cause them to stick. you may have to take the rotors off and clean the rotors and shoes. good luck.

Quick Reply: My parking brake is stuck on