C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Thermal vs. Ceramic Coated Headers

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 02:00 PM
DaleD
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CentralCoaster
I didn't mean to imply the exhaust flow was laminar. It may just be less turbulent, if there are no sudden changes in the flow area.
I didn't take it that way. Laminar flow from a gas would be tough to manage. But if it's a spectrum, the closer you can get to laminar, the better.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:37 PM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks ceramic to me. Unless Hedman is developing some top secret military technology they're not telling us about.
From this thread, you would think so...
Old 05-10-2007, 04:02 PM
johnnylondon
Instructor

Thermal coating is probably HFPD (high frequency pulsed deposition)
ceramic coating, it`s a thermal spray process ,ceramic powder is fed into
a combustion chamber with a mixture of gases (depending on the coating to be applied) then ignited the resulting expolosion melts the ceramic and projects it onto the surface at 2 or 3 times the speed of sound,this process is repeated several tens of times a second (again depending what material) untill the required depth of coating is reached.
We use it to coat the vector nosle plates on jet fighter engines so the
lightweight substrate material doesn`t melt.

Last edited by johnnylondon; 05-10-2007 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-10-2007, 08:05 PM
SS409 425HP
Racer

Originally Posted by mdlfcrss
I even tried e-mailing Hedman's Tech line and asked them what exactly "thermal coating" actually is, but they never answered. As someone else in this thread said...You'd think they would come right out and say their headers were ceramic coated instead of tip toeing around the issue and calling them thermal coated. Is there some kind of copy right issue where Hedman can't use that term so they call it something else? Or is that some kind of advertising fast talking to make you think that thermal coating is the same thing as ceramic!?
I e-mailed them and asked the same question. I didn't get a response either.
Old 05-10-2007, 09:57 PM
PBnf
Racer

I've talked to the Hedman tech people and they tell me that it's a ceramic coating. The Summit people told me the same thing. There is a website that is selling them for $378 with no shipping charge. I can get you their website if you want. By the way, The Elites are 3/8" flanges and 14 gage steel collectors, quite thick.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:50 PM
mdlfcrss
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes PBnf, you are 100% correct! I finally got an answer from one of the "techies" at Jegs.com who says that Hedmans Elite series are indeed ceramic coated. Mine are on the way
Old 05-17-2007, 12:31 AM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by PBnf
There is a website that is selling them for $378 with no shipping charge.

Who?
Old 05-17-2007, 08:40 AM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

Who?
http://www.ajusa.com
Thats where I got mine...
Old 05-17-2007, 01:44 PM
mdlfcrss
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeg's also sells a set of Hedman Reducers that have the O2 sensor bung in them...no cutting, drilling, welding. If you try to install one on the header itself, you will comprimise the ceramic coating . The reducers are cheap too!
Old 05-17-2007, 02:16 PM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

Hedman Hedders was the first manufacturer to introduce advanced aerospace technology to the hedder industry.The alloy of ceramic-metallic composition used by hedman, now known as HTC (Hi-Tech Coating), was and still is considered the very best thermal coating available for your hedders.

HTC is bonded to your hedders with a strength factor exceeding 10,000 PSI. This durability makes the finish resistant to abrasion and chipping. Oil and grease stains can be removed with polish or fine steel wool.
-Hedman.com
Old 05-17-2007, 05:13 PM
Corvette Kid
Large Impressive Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Good health is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die
Received 69 Likes on 35 Posts
St. Jude Donor '04-'05-'06-'07

Originally Posted by BADDUCK
That is cosistant between vendors but it's still as clear as mud. There can't be a patent or copyright issue with the word ceramic. I think "Jet Hot" process is/was patented. I think Hedman has confused the issue purposely.
I don't think they're trying to confuse it but simply stating it as one of the benefits of ceramic coating, indeed the most important one from a performance standpoint. Among it's other benefits such as aesthetics and protection from corrosion, ceramic coating is indeed a thermal coating. The ceramic coatings that I had applied to many of my internal engine parts are considered a thermal coating. There certainly wouldn't be any other reason to use them where they won't be seen. They keep heat either contained where it is of a benefit or away from where it's not beneficial, depending on where it's used and often doing both simultaneously. I also had a low friction coating applied to my piston skirts. This would be a teflon based coating.
Old 05-17-2007, 09:10 PM
PBnf
Racer

That website was exactly what I was going to paste in here. Tell us if you already have them and what you think of them and USA Direct?
Old 05-18-2007, 08:41 AM
Wheelman
Le Mans Master

I have no complaints with them. They ordered them directly from hedman and drop shipped them, and it took about 2 1/2 weeks to get the headers, but they are in good shape and the shipping was free so I would order them again. If you have a problem, they have decent customer service and its pretty easy to get a real person on the phone too.

Quick Reply: Thermal vs. Ceramic Coated Headers