C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Corvette question...

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 09:46 PM
CooterCatchinVette
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corvette question...

Purchasing new front and rear bumpers. I am thinking to go with corvetteamerica on this one. Has anyone had good luck with there bumpers. I am probably gonna go with the regular fiberglass, but I am wondering if anyone else purchased these from somewhere without any fitting problems or quality problems. Thanks for any help guys! Hopefully I will be posting pictures soon.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Wayne88
Race Director

Received 655 Likes on 376 Posts

If I needed new bumpers, I'd try to find originals. I'd look on ebay or a parts vendor like http://www.vette2vette.com/
Old 05-14-2007, 11:19 PM
mcnulty95
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.acivette.com/aci0001.htm

Try these guys. their local to me and have an oustanding reputation.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:25 PM
CentralCoaster
Team Owner

Location: San Diego , CA Double Yellow DirtBags 1985..Z51..6-speed
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

All the research I've done says the fitment is a gamble on the aftermarket ones. I bought an original one. Haven't test fitted it yet.

There are also places that can recondition them, I guess it recures the plastic to get the shape back. These go for about $400 for the early bumpers.
Old 05-14-2007, 11:35 PM
VtVette
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Do yourself a favor and get factory original bumpers. Any money you save with fiberglass bumpers you'll spend having them fit to the car if you want them to look right. As Kevin mentioned the fit is a crap shoot but I've never seen a set that fit perfectly they all need some work to look correct. At that point they are still fiberglass so they will be susceptible to cracking and will damage much easier than a factory bumper.

I've been doing paint work for years and I've fit several sets of fiberglass bumpers to C3s. Even the most expensive bumpers still needed several hours of work to fit right. Spend the money on a good, clean set of used bumpers. You'll be better off in the long run.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:41 AM
mcguirjf
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I gave up on locating factory bumpers. I bought the best bumpers I could find. I went with Ecklers flew fit fiberglass bumpers. I paid a little over 1100 with shipping. The shop has them now. I'll let you know how they fit.

I tried to go with GM factory bumpers and they are discontinued for 1987. GM did have the front bumper for the 40th aniversary vette the shop was restoring next to mine.
Old 05-21-2007, 02:20 PM
mikey whipreck
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mcguirjf
I gave up on locating factory bumpers. I bought the best bumpers I could find. I went with Ecklers flew fit fiberglass bumpers. I paid a little over 1100 with shipping. The shop has them now. I'll let you know how they fit.

I tried to go with GM factory bumpers and they are discontinued for 1987. GM did have the front bumper for the 40th aniversary vette the shop was restoring next to mine.

I'm assuming you mean flex fit bumpers... I'd like to hear how the fitment turns out :

Get notified of new replies

To Corvette question...

Quick Reply: Corvette question...