C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Brown goo in coolant overflow

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 02:57 PM
Mark Hanley
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Brown goo in coolant overflow

I have had my 92 for a week now and I thought I would have a look around under the hood since it is nice outside. When I checked the coolant overflow tank I saw a lot of this brown goo all over the dip stick and all over the insides of the tank. I did some reading (searched for coolant flush) and read that if the Dexcool is mixed with the green stuff it turns into this brown goo. Well, I guess that is what happened as the car is running the green stuff now. I opened the fill cap (geez is that thing hard to get off) and that goo is on that cap too. I'm betting it is all through the engine too. *crap* I read the coolant change procedures and they are pretty straight forward.

My question is: Is there a good way to get all this brown crap out of my engine? Will a normal drain, fill, run, drain, fill, run, drain, fill, run, drain, fill with 50/50 mix get rid of this stuff?

Thanks,
Old 05-21-2007, 03:02 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Drain, Fill, Bleed, Run, Repeat. Drain, Fill, Bleed, Run, Repeat.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:03 PM
Mark Hanley
Instructor

Originally Posted by xccter
I forgot to type the bleed part.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:05 PM
davidnclearlaketx
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You might want to take it to a quick change oil place that does power flushing. They can run the cleaner solution through under pressure and then the clear water flush at the end.
Or if you really want to do it up right flush it yourself (use prestone or some other cleaner/flush then clear water) first to get all the crude out of the engine then pull the radiator out and take it down to your local radiator shop and have them chemical flush it good for you.

Do it quick before it gets any hotter! Summer is here!
Old 05-21-2007, 03:07 PM
HOOBS
Burning Brakes

I saw a lot of this brown goo all over the dip stick
Thanks,[/QUOTE]

Where did you go last night?
Old 05-21-2007, 03:10 PM
onedef92
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

It could also be the remnants of those radiator pellets GM used to recommend in aluminum-headed cars including certain Corvette and Caddy models.

Is all the coolant brown? If so, that's not GOOD.

But I agree, a good flush-n-fill is in order to rid your system of the stuff and head off pending (read expensive) problems!
Mark Hanley
Instructor

Originally Posted by HOOBS
Thanks,

Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by HOOBS
Thanks,

Where did you go last night? [/QUOTE]

Theres a visual, My eyes My eyes
Old 05-21-2007, 03:21 PM
Mark Hanley
Instructor

Originally Posted by onedef92
It could also be the remnants of those radiator pellets GM used to recommend in aluminum-headed cars including certain Corvette and Caddy models.

Is all the coolant brown? If so, that's not GOOD.

But I agree, a good flush-n-fill is in order to rid your system of the stuff and head off pending (read expensive) problems!
current coolant is very green. I'll have it power flushed tomorrow morning. Thanks folks.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:43 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.

Just a thought to consider.

Power flushing sometimes dislodges small pieces of semi corroded heater cores that would have otherwise remained in place and not leaked for years.

You do know that C4s were built around their heater core, right?

Good Luck.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:49 PM
Madmikeee
Team Owner

Location: Sometimes I wonder... why is that frisbee getting bigger? Then it hits me.
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06

Power flushing sometimes dislodges small pieces of semi corroded heater cores that would have otherwise remained in place and not leaked for years.

Good Luck.
ain't THAT the truth. TRIED (emphasis on tried) to help a bud replace his core one time, vowed never to attempt that again.

I had a similar problem with my 77 (Had a 92 LT1 in it) but I had to replace the radiator anyway so I just drained , flushed, filled, bled refilled with 50 green and 50 distilled water and for all I know it is still clean to this day.

Last edited by Madmikeee; 05-21-2007 at 04:53 PM.
Old 05-21-2007, 04:51 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by Goldcylon
Theres a visual, My eyes My eyes
As long as it wasnt the brown eye its
Old 05-21-2007, 07:26 PM
Mark Hanley
Instructor

Good Luck.
didn't know that. . . OK, I guess I'll do it the old fashioned way.

Drain, Fill, Bleed, Run, Repeat as often as required. . .
Old 05-21-2007, 09:05 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The proper coolant for the 92 is the ethlyene glycol (green) coolant. It should be mixed 50/50 with distilled water as the final fill.

To do a complete drain, you will need to remove the knock sensors from the bottom of the block. Besides removing the drain plug from the radiator, this wlll drain the balance of the old coolant from the engine. This is also a good time to replace the upper hoses and the lower hose.

When you refill, remember to open both air bleed valves; there is one on the thermostat housing and another on the driver's side of the throttle body. DO NOT let the coolant fall down on the Opti!! It will be damaged if it gets soaked with coolant. Uee some aluminum foil to create a drain path away from it. You can remove and clean out the plastic overflow tank at this time as it's not needed for a flush.

Once you drain all of the coolant, refill with clean water at the expansion tank and start the motor. Let the thermostat open and let the coolant get to close to normal temps. Shut the motor off. let it cool and draing again. Repeat the procedure twice.

With the block and radiator drained, pour in two gallons of coolant concentrate followed by 2 gallons of distilled water (you can use a 50/50 premix too- either way works). As you fill coolant at the expansion tank, watch for a steady stream of coolant to come out of the bleed valves. When that happens close them and continue filling.

Start the motor and let the 'stat open. Run the motor at about 1200RPM and fill the tank to the bottom of the neck. Watch the coolant temp to make sure it does not get beyond 220 or so. If it does, simply stop the motor and let it cool and start again.

Once the coolant is steady at the top of the filler neck, replace the radiator cap, re-install the plastic overflow tank and fill it with a 50/50 mix to the "COLD" line.

The Service Manual states that you should not perform any full throttle operation until the coolant has gone thru three complete cycles of going from cold to operating temp to cold again. This insures that any air bubbles will work their way out of the cooling system.
Old 05-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Road Agent
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
The proper coolant for the 92 is the ethlyene glycol (green) coolant. It should be mixed 50/50 with distilled water as the final fill.

To do a complete drain, you will need to remove the knock sensors from the bottom of the block. Besides removing the drain plug from the radiator, this wlll drain the balance of the old coolant from the engine. This is also a good time to replace the upper hoses and the lower hose.

When you refill, remember to open both air bleed valves; there is one on the thermostat housing and another on the driver's side of the throttle body. DO NOT let the coolant fall down on the Opti!! It will be damaged if it gets soaked with coolant. Uee some aluminum foil to create a drain path away from it. You can remove and clean out the plastic overflow tank at this time as it's not needed for a flush.

Once you drain all of the coolant, refill with clean water at the expansion tank and start the motor. Let the thermostat open and let the coolant get to close to normal temps. Shut the motor off. let it cool and draing again. Repeat the procedure twice.

With the block and radiator drained, pour in two gallons of coolant concentrate followed by 2 gallons of distilled water (you can use a 50/50 premix too- either way works). As you fill coolant at the expansion tank, watch for a steady stream of coolant to come out of the bleed valves. When that happens close them and continue filling.

Start the motor and let the 'stat open. Run the motor at about 1200RPM and fill the tank to the bottom of the neck. Watch the coolant temp to make sure it does not get beyond 220 or so. If it does, simply stop the motor and let it cool and start again.

Once the coolant is steady at the top of the filler neck, replace the radiator cap, re-install the plastic overflow tank and fill it with a 50/50 mix to the "COLD" line.

The Service Manual states that you should not perform any full throttle operation until the coolant has gone thru three complete cycles of going from cold to operating temp to cold again. This insures that any air bubbles will work their way out of the cooling system.
After you correct the source of the problem!
Old 05-21-2007, 09:31 PM
Mark Hanley
Instructor

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

Thanks George, Thats a big help. I appreciate it.
Old 05-21-2007, 11:11 PM
tonymax2
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The "goo" could also be from an oil leak into the coolant system. Either from the trans cooler (if auto) or a faulty head gasket. After clean and flush as above, check it at the radiator cap for awhile. Oil will show up there first.

Get notified of new replies

To Brown goo in coolant overflow

Old 05-22-2007, 07:19 AM
78pacer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mike
Old 05-22-2007, 11:12 AM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Dexcool was not used in 92 so if you have any in your system a previous owner must have attempted to do the change.

Check for coolant in the oil to make sure you're not dealing with a head gasket or cracked block.

If you are going to remove the upper radiator hose or bleed the system make sure you cover the opti.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:22 AM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

[QUOTE=jrzvette;1560350859]Dexcool was not used in 92 so if you have any in your system a previous owner must have attempted to do the change.

Check for coolant in the oil to make sure you're not dealing with a head gasket or cracked block.

If you are going to remove the upper radiator hose or bleed the system make sure you cover the opti.[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Brown goo in coolant overflow