Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

no horn issue

Old 06-13-2007, 05:38 PM
ChickMagnet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no horn issue

First off, 91 C4 Auto. My horn does not work when pressing either of the two horn buttons. I know it's not the horn themselves, as there is sound from the horns when the alarm goes off. On the horn buttons on the steering wheel however, I notice that there is no tension whatsoever when I press on it. Did an internal part that makes contact wear out? Anyone have a similar experience? Thanks.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:49 PM
jghmczo6
Racer

Under each horn button is a brass/copper convex a.k.a. spring which
places pressure towards the driver. It may have just come loose or the prongs on the button have dried out, broken, or errored. Remove the horn button/s from the steering wheel to view the internal parts and determine if it is the brass/copper spring or the actual plastic clips holding the horn button in place.

Hope this helps
Old 06-13-2007, 06:29 PM
ChickMagnet
Racer

Originally Posted by jghmczo6
Under each horn button is a brass/copper convex a.k.a. spring which
places pressure towards the driver. It may have just come loose or the prongs on the button have dried out, broken, or errored. Remove the horn button/s from the steering wheel to view the internal parts and determine if it is the brass/copper spring or the actual plastic clips holding the horn button in place.

Hope this helps
I'm hoping it's that simple.
Old 06-13-2007, 07:27 PM
Wildride
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

The Buttons themselves are made of a plastic that seems to deteriorate over time. This plus the normal (and abnormal) pressing on the buttons causes a little "nipple" inside of them to break. This nipple's purpose is to press down on the brass contacts underneath it and complete the circuit. No nipple = no contact = no horn.

Solution:

1. The horn buttons are available from GM for about $6.95 each. PN
12506007 and 12500608. There are two ways to remove them from the steering wheel.

2. Using a dull thin blade slide it along the hub side of the button feeling carefully for the catch that latches the button to the wheel. There are two on each side-total four, you only have to find and release two on one side of the button.

The top one is about 1/2-3/4' down from the top of the button and the bottom one is about 1/2-3/4" up from the bottom of the button. When you locate each catch, push in (toward the center of the button) gently on it while lifting the button. You have to do this twice-top and bottom on one side. The button should then pop off.

I have mine discretely marked so the catches are easy to find. You may want to do this to them after they are off.

If your problem isn't the buttons, let us know. I have some other remedies for 1990-96 horn problems.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:50 PM
ChickMagnet
Racer

Originally Posted by Wildride
The Buttons themselves are made of a plastic that seems to deteriorate over time. This plus the normal (and abnormal) pressing on the buttons causes a little "nipple" inside of them to break. This nipple's purpose is to press down on the brass contacts underneath it and complete the circuit. No nipple = no contact = no horn.

Solution:

1. The horn buttons are available from GM for about $6.95 each. PN
12506007 and 12500608. There are two ways to remove them from the steering wheel.

2. Using a dull thin blade slide it along the hub side of the button feeling carefully for the catch that latches the button to the wheel. There are two on each side-total four, you only have to find and release two on one side of the button.

The top one is about 1/2-3/4' down from the top of the button and the bottom one is about 1/2-3/4" up from the bottom of the button. When you locate each catch, push in (toward the center of the button) gently on it while lifting the button. You have to do this twice-top and bottom on one side. The button should then pop off.

I have mine discretely marked so the catches are easy to find. You may want to do this to them after they are off.

If your problem isn't the buttons, let us know. I have some other remedies for 1990-96 horn problems.
Well take a look at this pic. I removed airbag to remove the plastic horn pieces. This is all that was behind it:

These pictures as you could already tell is what was behind the plastic horn button/coverings. There were no other parts that were in back of both plastic horn pieces or behind the plastic coverings. There was nothing on the plastic covering when I removed them. So am all I missing is that brass copper convex/spring? Also note that in back of the plastic horn pieces it looks like some of the plastic prongs broke off. I think someone may of gone back here before and didn't put everything back together properly. If someone has some kind of diagram of how everything goes together that would be great. Is there a way to activate the horn "as is" in the pictures to see if it works. I have everything apart as of this post.

P.S. maybe it's time for a momo steering wheel.

Last edited by ChickMagnet; 06-16-2007 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 05:49 PM
ChickMagnet
Racer

Default broken wire = horn culprit

Strange thing I learned the other day. When you take out the airbag fuse, vats doesn't seem to allow the car to start. Well, upon further inspection, it appears that there is a broken wire coming from the brass contact. The other black wire which isn't broken appears to connect to the other brass contact. Anyone have an idea where the broken wire connects to?

Get notified of new replies

To no horn issue

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: no horn issue