C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

!New Weatherstripping!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 10:07 AM
95!Vette!
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default !New Weatherstripping!

Ok Ive been looking at buying new weatherstripping for my car, and it seems that It is leaking in my window area on both windows at the top corner. I also noticed how dry cracked the old weatherstripping is so Im just wanting to get some info and advice before buying, whats good and whats not. Here is what I need the Side Targa Top Seals, and the Windshield Header Seal they are on Ebay

SIDE TARGA TOP SEALS
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB..._promot_widget
WINDSHIELD HEADER SEAL
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB..._promot_widget
Old 08-08-2007, 10:29 AM
5POINT7
Melting Slicks

From my expierences with weatherstripping... Take your time when you do it, so it looks good and works properly. Second, make sure you buy from a trustful source, you dont want to buy weatherstripping that you have trouble putting on because its a cheap company.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:50 AM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Default weatherstripping

5point7 is right.

It took me about an hour to do the rear hatch weatherstripping. It took me nearly 3 hours to do the windshield header. Most of that is prep time, to remove the old stuff and to clean the channel. I bought some caulk and silicone removal stuff (a little white bottle with red label) from Lowe's and cleaned the area with a rag and an old tooth brush. Once the aree was pretty much free of the grime, I used the air compressor to blow out the remainder. Remember to put a drop cloth or a tarp over the interior, or you will spend around thirty minutes cleaning up the little bits out of your interior. Ask me how I know.

The hardest part of the install was finding the holes for the little push pins. I started on the passenger side by placing a little dab of 3M adhesive on the end of the weatherstripping with the push pins already in the holes of the weatherstripping. Place the first pin in the hole and then the second before firmly pushing it in. Then I worked my way up. I would seat the stripping in the front part of the channel up the a pillar, installed the push pins at the top there on the passenger side, then across the header, installed those push pins, then back down the a pillar until I ended up at the push pin locations at the bottom.

Then, using a quarter (no popsicle sticks, my kids don't eat them dammit ) I would work the back side of the weatherstripping into the channel. I took my time, and it shows. Little advice? Do it in the shade. I did it out in the sun (early mornings in South Texas) and sweated my butt off.

I bought mine from Willcox. I am impressed with the quality. I still have to do the B pillar on Friday, but it seems to be far easier then the a pillar header.

Good luck. I should take some pics, but something always seems to come up. And I never remember to get myself a photobucket account.

Last edited by KBoltz; 08-08-2007 at 11:16 AM. Reason: for bad spelling
Old 08-08-2007, 10:57 AM
95!Vette!
Racer

Awesome thanks for the advice and ifo there Wow I didnt realize how much work it is to do it, but it seems to be easy and steady if you just take your time doing it right. The other thing I was worried about is buying and it not fitting the right way
Old 08-08-2007, 11:34 AM
DisasterDave
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ditto Bro. I'm staring down the barrell of the exact same project myself. I'm waiting for summer to end here in Phoenix, so I don't collapse from heat exhaustion. It's tough to cool the garage to a comfortable level when it's 109 deg. outside.

Good luck, tell us how it works out.

DD
Old 08-08-2007, 11:40 AM
95!Vette!
Racer

Yeah aint that the truth Its very hot and Im gonna prolly wait when it cools down a bit then start working on the car, if I have to Il do it around 7 at night maybe it might be a bit easier to do...
Old 08-08-2007, 12:46 PM
GlassToys
Instructor

I have heard good things about wilcox weather stripping on here. I bought some targa top stripping (non wilcox) and had a bunch of wind noise after the install. The replacement was not as soft as the GM stripping. Before adjusting doors and glass I went and bought GM weather stripping and re-did the job. Now it is tight with no wind noise what so ever.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:48 PM
robertt43
Racer

Originally Posted by KBoltz
5point7 is right.

It took me about an hour to do the rear hatch weatherstripping. It took me nearly 3 hours to do the windshield header. Most of that is prep time, to remove the old stuff and to clean the channel. I bought some caulk and silicone removal stuff (a little white bottle with red label) from Lowe's and cleaned the area with a rag and an old tooth brush. Once the aree was pretty much free of the grime, I used the air compressor to blow out the remainder. Remember to put a drop cloth or a tarp over the interior, or you will spend around thirty minutes cleaning up the little bits out of your interior. Ask me how I know.

The hardest part of the install was finding the holes for the little push pins. I started on the passenger side by placing a little dab of 3M adhesive on the end of the weatherstripping with the push pins already in the holes of the weatherstripping. Place the first pin in the hole and then the second before firmly pushing it in. Then I worked my way up. I would seat the stripping in the front part of the channel up the a pillar, installed the push pins at the top there on the passenger side, then across the header, installed those push pins, then back down the a pillar until I ended up at the push pin locations at the bottom.

Then, using a quarter (no popsicle sticks, my kids don't eat them dammit ) I would work the back side of the weatherstripping into the channel. I took my time, and it shows. Little advice? Do it in the shade. I did it out in the sun (early mornings in South Texas) and sweated my butt off.

I bought mine from Willcox. I am impressed with the quality. I still have to do the B pillar on Friday, but it seems to be far easier then the a pillar header.

Good luck. I should take some pics, but something always seems to come up. And I never remember to get myself a photobucket account.
I just did my B pillar last week.Got it from Lonestar Musclecar off e bay,but I ordered it by phone.....Delivery was fast,3 days to my house,and I am satisified with the quality,for $89,I think....Advice; start at the bottom on each corner where the bolts go in.This area is important to the seal adjusting to the door....The other thing is cleaning the old channel brackets VERY GOOd......
Old 08-08-2007, 11:09 PM
91quasarblue
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend Willcox great product for the price just did my A-B pillars came out real well.Some of my suggestions for removal are Hair Dryer 3M release agent #8984, cotton ***** fine tipped knitting needle used very gentle in the channels.When installing prefit W/S use 3M 8008 glue I used a 2" plastic scraper to tuck the new W/S in very carefully. Came out excellent.Good Luck nothing like working on these cars your self.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:17 PM
vettowner1994
Instructor

Do these cars sit outside quite a bit or something? My 94's weatherstrip is just fine. I see a lot of people replacing theirs on here.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:56 PM
c4fool
Racer

Most of my time was prep but it was worth it since every time I take a road trip it seems to rain
Willcox corvette .com has forum deals that is where I got mine good price and great fit!
Old 08-09-2007, 12:03 AM
brian84
Instructor

apparently there is some sort of weatherstripping protectant you can use to keep it from getting hard and brittle, then breaking up.

ive never used it, and will definatley order a bottle when I place a order for my new full kit of weatherstriping. not looking foward to the install, but also not liking the rain drips landing on my left pant leg.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:36 AM
KBoltz
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Outside

Mine spends it's entire life outside. When at home, it is under a good NOAH car cover. I guess the original owner did not take care of the stripping. God knows he took care of everything else. It was immaculate when I bought it.

I have been using a silicone protectant whenever I wash the car. I wash the car, dry it thoroughly with the microfiber towels, remove the top and open the rear hatch. Then when I use the protectant for the interior, I use it on the seals (including the top) at the same time. I will be doing this tomorrow morning.

Ken
Old 10-02-2007, 06:11 PM
phrogs
Race Director

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by brian84
apparently there is some sort of weatherstripping protectant you can use to keep it from getting hard and brittle, then breaking up.

ive never used it, and will definatley order a bottle when I place a order for my new full kit of weatherstriping. not looking foward to the install, but also not liking the rain drips landing on my left pant leg.

Yeah put the white die electric grease on it you know the stuff you use on your spark plug wires.

ive been up for a while so im pretty sure I spelled it wrong but thats the stuff just a little bit after you wash the car just wipe it down with that stuff and it will last a long time

Get notified of new replies

To !New Weatherstripping!

Quick Reply: !New Weatherstripping!