rear hatch ajustments.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:39 PM
brian84
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear hatch ajustments.

hey guys,
on my early c4 ( 84 ) I had the rear hatch up the other day when I was fixing all the rattles I had back there , in the interior plastic trim pieces.

any how - when I poped the rear hatch glass up , I noticed that hit had "play" in the hinges.
so I then took off the targa top, and loosened the plastic trim cover pieces for the roof and tightened up the bolts on the rear hatch hinges that hold it to the car.
but
I also noticed that the pins that go thru the hinges are starting to work their way out. one not so bad, but the other one is about 1/4 the way out. try as I may I could not push the hinge pin back in with any tools I could find. - and when doing so I managed to barely chip part of the rear hatch glass.
when I realized I need help.

it seems easy enough to un bolt the top glass hinges from the car, and pull the rear glass off with the hinge attached,
but how do you go about un attaching the glass from the hinge?
it looks like there are 2 funny looking bolts that are completely round to hold the glass to the aluminum hinge frame.
how do those come off - and better yet - if I do take them off, can I re install them correctly?
I had figured if I could get the aluminum hinge frame off the glass - I could stick it in a bench vice and press the pins all the way back in and then re install the whole unit.
it all just seems like a pain in the butt tho.

lastly,
I would also like to know if there is any way of ajusting the rear latch on the hatch, it seems like my rear hatch latch is not holding down as tight as I would like it to, can I loosen some bolts up back there and ajust the latch downwards a fiew mm. and then re tighten?
or is every thing in a fixed position?

thanks all in advance for the help.
I can give pix if you guys need.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:44 PM
brian84
Instructor

Old 02-20-2008, 10:52 PM
xCCTer
CF JASOC Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Downtown Annapolis, MD. The Future is where we all have to live. Let's not screw it up.
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11

Originally Posted by brian84
...can I loosen some bolts up back there and ajust the latch downwards a fiew mm, and then re tighten?
Yes, you can. Mark the original location with a pencil on both sides so you know where you started.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:48 AM
brian84
Instructor

cool, ill have to give the rear hatch latch some ajusting tomorrow,

does any one have any ideas on how I can get those pins pressed back in for the top hinge?
I feel like its an important thing to get done....
before it gets worse

Get notified of new replies

To rear hatch ajustments.

Quick Reply: rear hatch ajustments.