Engine starts, then dies; stays dead - then all over again

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 04:23 PM
bluespire
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine starts, then dies; stays dead - then all over again

Hey guys,

I'm not entirely new to the forum, been lurking for some time now, but this is my first post.

Here's my problem:
I was going through general checks on my '86 vette. Found 3 fuses that were burned out. One was my running lights, another the internal lights (apparently as the door lights came on again) and the other was a fuse for the idiot panel. I noticed also, that now the security light flashes properly. To my detriment, I had though I somehow triggered the VATS, since my car won't start properly now.

Open door, security light flashes. Get in and close door, security light stops flashing. Put key in, turn key, dash lights come on, engine cranks, hear the fuel pump start, engine turns over. . . 2 seconds later, it's as if someone just cut the power, and the engine dies. Then, it won't even begin to crank for the next few minutes (this is what lead me to believe it was VATS). Try to start it a few minutes later, and it all starts over again.

Now, I am confused, because I thought VATS didn't let the car turn-over at all. I was going to bypass my ignition switch, when it dawned on me that it may not be the VATS, and hence, I wrote this post.

Please, any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:24 PM
bluespire
3rd Gear

Oh, and I did do a search, several of them. None of this hinted at this exact problem. Sorry in advance if I did miss it.
Old 03-31-2008, 05:28 PM
bluespire
3rd Gear

Default Bypassed ignition

Just to see if it was the VATS, I bypassed the ignition switch protection (wired in a resistance same as my key on a loop). The car continues to do the same thing. IF it had been VATS, I have no doubt the car would not have even cranked. I know this, because if I take the connector off completely, that is what happens. So, I know my jury-rigging was successful.

Now, an update. Like I said, it will turn-over, then suddenly lose power. I try again, and it just keeps cranking, w/o turning over at all (I must have remembered events a bit differently when I first posted). Each subsequent attempt to start the engine results in an even-less powerful attempt to turn over.

Does that help at all?
Old 03-31-2008, 06:09 PM
Eakster
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This sounds similar to the symptons I had when the fuel pump gave up.

You should do the usual checks for spark and fuel, then follow whichever lead that gives you. There's tons of info on here re fuel pump issues.

Might just be coincidence you fixing the fuses, or one of those weird moments where you fix one thing and it breaks something else

Get notified of new replies

To Engine starts, then dies; stays dead - then all over again

Quick Reply: Engine starts, then dies; stays dead - then all over again