C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Door Locks going crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 01:29 PM
95Batmobile
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C4 Door Locks going crazy!

I have a 95. When my doors are closed, the interior lights will sometimes stay on and the door ajar light will be lit. When driving down the road, the lights (both interior and dash indicator) will flicker when I hit bumps, or just at random. Sometimes while this happens the door locks will start trying to either lock (if in the unlocked position) or unlock (if in the locked position). A Corvette shop suggested that I replace the door switch that lets the car know when the door is open or closed. I replaced that switch and the problem still occurs. Now the lock mechanism on the drivers side door is starting to bind up and I have trouble unlocking it with the key. When the car is parked, the interior lights will sometimes turn on and then the alarm will start going off, as if someone has broken into the car. The shop is telling me that it's the switch, but I don't think it is because the old switch I took out tested good on a multi meter. Could my power door lock mechanism be causing this problem?

I forgot to mention: Also, when I go to unlock the drivers side door i feel resistance both with the key, and when I try to lock/unlock it manually from the interior

Last edited by 95Batmobile; 05-17-2008 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-17-2008, 02:04 PM
ynk1121
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just had the identical problem with my 95 vert. It was the passenger side door ajar switch. You said switch not switches. I would check both door switches. I don't own a coupe so I don't know how it's wired but check and see if the rear hatch ajar switch is on the same circuit as the door switches.
Old 05-17-2008, 11:31 PM
theadmiral94
Drifting

Location: 1994 LT1 Coupe 6-speed with FX3 & 2000 LS1 Vert 6-Speed with F45 Hunterdon County, NJ
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ynk1121
You said switch not switches. I would check both door switches.

One other thought -- sometimes the door switch's self-adjusting 'nose' gets pushed in too far and doesn't allow the switch to be pushed in enough when the door is closed.

What worked for our 94 was to carefully pull the self-adjusting nose out a small amount, and then place 2 small rubber o-rings behind its 'face'. It then causes the switch to contact the door jam plastic button earlier and keeps the door switch depressed the correct amount.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:58 AM
85 500 horse
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Regarding the lock that doesn't want to turn - it couldn't hurt to spray some graphite in there. It may not cure the problem, but it sure can't hurt anything.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:08 AM
Bluewasp
Race Director

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
NoVa Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '14

had the same problem. Replaced the passenger door ajar switch which fixed the problem. Lights would flicker, locks would cycle, same issue....
Old 05-23-2008, 07:08 PM
lenbal
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi
95 LT 1 had the same problem, lnterior lights would come on when driving, flicker,VAT worked some times - darned horn went off at midnite. Checked passenger door switch - yup it was bad. Our club hosted Gordon Killebrew. He found the bad switch, so i changed the passenger switch to driver side - with his careful eye. Be careful there is a self tapping washer inside the door when you take out one bolt use a paper clip or some thing to hang on to it. Of course i found that out after it dropped but there is a hole in the bottom of the door - use an extention magnet and you have it. I used fishing line and a magnet tied to it dropped it in from where the switch goes and pulled it back up put one of the bolts in it and felt good. Tie wired the harness and taped when the new one came in could find it.

All was great for about 3 days and battery dead ---0 charge....
put a trickler on it no luck - so I jump started it no problems other then darned lights flickering when driving. After 3 days of that I brought it to a shop with Vette mech. explained the problem, went right to the rear hatch and there was the problem. About 6 or 8 switches connect - think 3 in each door, steering column, Fob, and rear hatch --
I'm am ole gear head - give me nuts and bolts, 1 wire goes here and i am fine. Long story short $800 later it works like new..

the manuel didnt guide me, no one in our club had a clue so when it says CORVETTE - it means $$$$ -- dont think I go screwed kinda sound like it - but i saw all the parts he replaced, sure enough bad connections, burnt ends. If I'da known that i would have unplugged the darn thing adn just use the fliippen key - not worry about inside lights
Oh well gotta love um --

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Door Locks going crazy!

Quick Reply: C4 Door Locks going crazy!