Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Newb advice...

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 08:15 AM
navet72
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you know you'll have to put a lot of time and money into it to start with and you're willing to do so,my advice is go for it.I waited many years to take the plunge but am glad I finally did. The only thing that happens from waiting is time slips away. If you go into the transaction with eyes open and expectations low you should be ok. Just be honest in regards to your ability to do some work yourself and then figure twice the amount of estimated money and 4 times the time to get the car where you want it. If you are like I was you don't have 8k to spend at one time to get a better car so if you really like the car and know it'll take more time and money than you think to get it the way you want,go for it.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:21 AM
nateman66c
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by navet72
If you know you'll have to put a lot of time and money into it to start with and you're willing to do so,my advice is go for it.I waited many years to take the plunge but am glad I finally did. The only thing that happens from waiting is time slips away. If you go into the transaction with eyes open and expectations low you should be ok. Just be honest in regards to your ability to do some work yourself and then figure twice the amount of estimated money and 4 times the time to get the car where you want it. If you are like I was you don't have 8k to spend at one time to get a better car so if you really like the car and know it'll take more time and money than you think to get it the way you want,go for it.
You pretty much nailed it man... That's how I feel at this point...

I enjoy projects for the self satisfaction and the reward of knowing what you did and what you had to work with...

I'll talk to him more and see why he parked it and get a feel for the situation some more...

The auto doesn't totally kill it for me, it would be kinda nice to enjoy a cup of coffee on the way into work and not have to steer with my knee while i'm shifting!!!
Old 06-27-2008, 06:21 PM
nateman66c
8th Gear

Well, he didn't bite on 2k.... LOL

So looks like i'm walking away from this one... There's no way i'm offering more, too much money to lose!!!
Old 06-27-2008, 09:12 PM
kdf1986
Safety Car

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

I think in the end you will see that this was a wise choice. Keep the condition and price of that car in mind when you go and see your next one. I looked at more than 10 C4s before I found the one that I wanted. Or did it find me? But I did not have to ask anyones opinion aobut it. By that time I knew it was what I was looking for. 1986, black ext. grey int. and everything worked. Only $5000. SOLD. But if I did not look at the other 9 vettes I would not see what a good deal this realy was. And it helped me from paying too much on other vettes that people wanted $12-$15 for in the same condition.

kdf
Old 06-29-2008, 04:19 PM
rahoyme
Instructor

Originally Posted by Wev's vet
I bet you can find a decent vette that runs good and looks ok in the 8-10K range if look for it. And it will probably require a lot less work!!! And no mice chit to clean up..... Good luck!
Old 06-29-2008, 05:32 PM
betyelou
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Run don't walk. This car is going to be a money pit for you and you will never get it to the point that you are satisfied with it. Save a few more dollars and shop around. Remember right now it,s a buyers market. Hope you make a good decision.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:45 AM
H P Bushrod

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Take everyone's advice and stay away from fixer-upper Vettes. They can get expensive REAL quick. Spend your money on the car you want (and one that runs). You'll enjoy it a lot more if you're not constantly working on it to keep it on the road. Good luck with your purchase.

Quick Reply: Newb advice...