Need help with cam and crankshaft positioning for timing chain install

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 06:08 PM
1986_Yellow
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with cam and crankshaft positioning for timing chain install

Hello everyone,

I am putting together a L98 engine that has been completely torn down and cleaned up. The question I have is where should the crankshaft be positioned in its rotation, also where should the camshaft be in its rotation? Are there reference marks on the front of them or someway to correctly position them before installing the timing chain and sprockets?

I have a Hanes manaul but I don't have a clear understanding of exactly how everything needs to be set-up. Everything I have found to date is in reference to the distributor

I would appreciate any help provided.

Dave
Old 06-28-2008, 07:07 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

It is really easier than most will make you think. There is a "DOT" on both the cam shaft geat and the crank gear. The dot on the crank should be at 12 o'clock and the dot on the cam shaft gear should be at 6 o'clock. This should be the position for the gears with the chain on.

Line these up and you are ready to go.

Last edited by John A. Marker; 06-29-2008 at 01:43 PM. Reason: correct dot positions
Old 06-28-2008, 10:49 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 718 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
It is really easier than most will make you think. There is a "DOT" on both the cam shaft geat and the crank gear. The dot on the crank should be at 6 o'clock and the dot on the cam shaft gear should be at 12 o'clock. This should be the position for the gears with the chain on.

Line these up and you are ready to go.
and with that, #6 cylinder is at TDC.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:47 AM
thirdtimevetteowner
Pro

That's backwards, and you stand the chance of installing them a tooth off. The cam dot should be at 6 o'clock, and the crank dot should be at noon. Also, #1 and #6 are at TDC at the same time always, just 180 degrees apart.

RK
Old 06-29-2008, 06:10 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 718 Likes on 600 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdtimevetteowner
That's backwards, and you stand the chance of installing them a tooth off. The cam dot should be at 6 o'clock, and the crank dot should be at noon. Also, #1 and #6 are at TDC at the same time always, just 180 degrees apart.

RK
you are correct - i re-read the #2 post, and this time i engaged my brain - . again, you are correct about #1 and #6 being at TDC at the same time. but, with the crank mark at 12 o'clock and the cam mark at 6 o'clock, #6 cylinder is on the compression stroke - useful in indexing the distributor.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:33 AM
Happydad
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by thirdtimevetteowner

RK

and use a straight edge to make sure there in line. Don'
t trust your eyes or close enough..It's important that they are in line with each other.....
Old 06-29-2008, 05:48 PM
1986_Yellow
Heel & Toe

Thanks everyone, that sound easy enough.

Dave

Get notified of new replies

To Need help with cam and crankshaft positioning for timing chain install

Quick Reply: Need help with cam and crankshaft positioning for timing chain install