Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

what changes should be made to this 87?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 11:03 PM
198T7VETTE
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what changes should be made to this 87?

Hi everyone. Here are the pics of my car. What would you do to it? I am not sure I'm liking the mufflers/tips anymore and I'm not sure about the zr1 wheels either. One day I want the lt1 exhaust and the next muffler elims. just looking for opinions. Is the exhaust a little too "80's" looking? Thanks for the time and input

Old 06-28-2008, 11:14 PM
ARMAN72
Racer

Man I would just drive it and enjoy it!
But thats just my $.02..
Nice ride
Old 06-28-2008, 11:29 PM
Calderone
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

i dont like the rocker panel ,looks like it sits higher
Old 06-28-2008, 11:35 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 1,021 Likes on 474 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

OK, here we go as I see it..

1. Color - Red.. for sure no need to change.
2. Exhaust looks fine to me.
3. Remove chrome wheels. Not a big fan of chrome wheels I guess.
4. Lower is like 4 inches in the back and 2.5 in the front.
5. Other than that I agree with Arman...drive it!....and might I add drive it like you stole it every once in a while.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:56 PM
198T7VETTE
Racer

Originally Posted by Calderone

yeah. I wasn't sure about that either. When I bought the car it was already on there. I dont know if it is an easy removal.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:58 PM
198T7VETTE
Racer

Originally Posted by Garret
OK, here we go as I see it..

1. Color - Red.. for sure no need to change.
2. Exhaust looks fine to me.
3. Remove chrome wheels. Not a big fan of chrome wheels I guess.
4. Lower is like 4 inches in the back and 2.5 in the front.
5. Other than that I agree with Arman...drive it!....and might I add drive it like you stole it every once in a while.
What wheel choice are you thinking?
Old 06-29-2008, 09:23 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

What I would do:
sawblades powdercoated white to match top
muffler elmins with LT-1 Tips
lower 1" - any thing more and you'll probably be dragging the x-frame all the time.
Then, just add gas, drive and enjoy.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 1,021 Likes on 474 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Originally Posted by 198T7VETTE
What wheel choice are you thinking?
With the top down black GS wheels would look cool I think. Problem is with the top up I don't think it would look that good. Another choice would be brushed C6 replicas.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:48 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Very pretty car

The biggest issue with wheels is the 87'sa 38mm offset requirement. You can run any wheel made for 88 and leter C4's but you will need 3/4" adapters to get them to sit "right" in the wheelwell. C5 wheels will work the same way.

What emissions requirements do you have? If you don't have a visual check, you can dump the front Y-pipe and go with a Y-pipe with no pre-cats. Then install a good high-flow main cat and run the mufflers you have. That will be a big change in sound but expect some additional resonance inside at cruise speeds.

Originally Posted by Calderone
What's wrong with the rocker panel? It's the stock one but the pic makes it look darker because it's not in the sun. It may have been painted black or something but it should match the body color.

The 'vert typically sits about 1" higher than the coupe. That's because the factory X-brace under the body has to have sufficient ground clearance. The X-brace is about 1" tall. Unless you know for a fact that you will not encounter speed bumps or anything that may cause the car to hit things like steep ramps, don't lower it more than an inch or so. BTDT!

The only way to lower the car in the front is with a kit that requires removal of the front spring for installation grinding off the factory blocks and adding some different blocks using glue. The early C4's also need a different block kit than later cars.

Lowering the rear is easy; simply replace the bolts at the end of the rear spring with longer ones. Don't go to Lowe's or HD for them They have to be Metric grade 10.9 and the nuts should be the castle type which uses a cotter pin through the bolt just like the OEM bolts. Nylock nuts work too but get the proper grade.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:22 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

Default what to do........

1. I don't like the exhaust from the side.
2. You might try taping off just the tips and painting the rest of the chrome part with barbeque black from Home Depot.(the high heat paint at auto parts stores is expensive, but plain 'ol barbeque high heat paint lasts longer and is way cheaper)
3. I would paint the rocker panels back to body color.
4. i would check around the forum for a different top color. Someone has to have a red car with a top that doesn't make the car look "restoed" like the white one. Maybe a tan one, or maybe a red one. or maybe pick up a hard top for it, and paint it body color. It would more closely resemble a Z06 style top/trunk look. It looks too patent leathery looking.
5. I personally like the Zr-1 wheels, just not chrome on a red car. Polished aluminum gets my vote. Not painted either.
6. Try getting red electrical tape and put the tape on the beltline to see if you like the all red look. If you don't like it, just simply peel off the tape. If you like it red, see if you can get a body shop to professionally prep and paint the body line to red so it will stay. The rough plastic sometimes will shuck the paint off in places where it's not prepped well.
WELL...that's my 2c worth
But thats a really nice car. you should be proud of it. And drive it when you can, people should see a nice car like that.

Last edited by coupeguy2001; 06-29-2008 at 09:25 PM.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:32 PM
198T7VETTE
Racer

I'm not worried about emissions or anything. I was looking at the ecklers true dual exhaust with a crossover on it. I have also seen chat on the LT1 exhaust but not sure whats involved in putting it on. So i'm not opposed to either one. Which one gives better sound and performance gain.

I like the saw blades but I only like the zr1 sawblades for the rear. Once you put an 11 inch tire on the rear its really hard to picture putting on anything else.

Would consider putting a black roof on it. Have been kinda unhappy about the red on red. Was thinking of painting the car white and leaving the red interior or leaving the car red and putting in a black interior.

BTW I should of mentioned the car is all stock. All the has been done is the rear y pipe with a crossover tube and the targa mufflers.

Show me the way........
Old 06-29-2008, 09:37 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

I wouldn't change a thing. Your car is beautiful. Definitely do not paint the black trim line red. That will ruin the look so much. You have a great looker as is!
Old 06-29-2008, 09:37 PM
198T7VETTE
Racer

Yup I know what you mean. I think the exhaust from the side just does not look right. Not sure I'm liking the turned up look either.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:44 PM
quantum-theory
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PM me if you are interested in selling the mufflers. Beautiful car - enjoy it.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:45 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The Eckler's "true duals" is more expensive than the same thing from Corvette Central. The CC system uses 16 gauge metal and that is the same as typical custom-bent pipe from muffler shops.

I just finished with true duals on my 87 coupe. I had a set of Walker Super Turbo mufflers that were on the car when I bought it (stock exhaust but with the same rear Y-pipe you have) and used those for mufflers. The car has a really nice throaty roar to it at WOT and a deep sound but tons of interior resonance.

If what you have now are the "muffler eliminators, using those with a true dual system will wake the neighbors for blocks around. I tried the Mid-America "LT1 Targa" mufflers and it was way loud. The tracks I frequent have noise limits and the car would have been way beyond the limits.

A hardtop would look nice but you have to find the old GM conversion kit in order for the 89 and later factory hardtop to fit properly. With the hardtop on and properly installed, the car is actually stiffer than a coupe. But you lose a lot of rear storage and the rear decklid cannot be opened.

A black 'vert top would certainly be easier to keep clean Not sure about the 87. but later C4 'verts with white tops used vinyl while all of the other colors were cloth. Cloth looks "richer" and is much easier to keep clean.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:18 PM
pkazsr
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cruise-In X Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09

Originally Posted by ARMAN72
Man I would just drive it and enjoy it!
But thats just my $.02..
Nice ride
Old 06-29-2008, 11:25 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,339 Likes on 675 Posts

I would paint the rockers body color, some Corsa looking exhaust tips and lower the rear a little. The car looks fantastic to me.

Get notified of new replies

To what changes should be made to this 87?

Old 06-30-2008, 01:10 AM
corvettedan22
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

New exhuast with better tips.
Lower it.

Nice car
Old 06-30-2008, 07:06 AM
silverja
Drifting

Received 132 Likes on 80 Posts

Default Nothing to change if it was mine

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
I wouldn't change a thing. Your car is beautiful. Definitely do not paint the black trim line red. That will ruin the look so much. You have a great looker as is!
I agree with this observation. It looks fine. And if you want to make a change think it through for awhile. Sometimes folks regret modifying their Corvette afterwards if they are on the fence.
Old 06-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Da Mail Man
Safety Car

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

...a friend of mine used to customize car, boats, trucks, and planes for the arab sheiks "over there".....(some were million dollar custom jobs) he recommended that, when i had a vinyl top on one of my other cars, that i use a vinyl top wax to preserve the top. in your case, i think turtle wax makes a clear vinyl top wax that if it were me, i'd be applying to the top...makes it look great, seals the stitching, and aids in the water-proofing of same....good luck..

Quick Reply: what changes should be made to this 87?