C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 11:44 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default spark plugs

Okay,I've got another shadetree question.Yes,I searched,and yes,I have the FSM,I just don't know how you guys/gals get that front spark plug out & back in on the passenger side of the '87.I guess it's # 2.I spent most of the afternoon changing plugs & I only got 7 changed.Do I have to jack the car up,remove a wheel,cuss less,or what?Thanks to all who respond.
tankman
Old 06-29-2008, 12:02 AM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

That would be the infamous cylinder #8 plug. The easiest way to get it is to use a flex head ratchet. I've also gotten it out by using a 5/8" open end wrench as well. Getting under the car will also make it easier.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:07 AM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Thank you very much.I'll try again in the morning.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:21 AM
deerra
Burning Brakes

I removed the tire, fender liners, (center and the rear). Made things a lot easier for all the plugs and its a no brainer on the liners.
Keep trying, it can be done.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:45 AM
UNCLEBILL
Pro

Originally Posted by deerra
I removed the tire, fender liners, (center and the rear). Made things a lot easier for all the plugs and its a no brainer on the liners.
Keep trying, it can be done.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:15 AM
tankman
Burning Brakes

I'm going to try to do it without removing all of those parts.It's the plug closest to the radiator on the passenger side.This is unbelievable ,I know I tried for about 3 hours last night and got no where,but I'm raring to go this morning .
Old 06-29-2008, 11:12 AM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

I just use a LONG 3/8" extension thru the fender well to get to this plug (#2). A 1/2" extension seems to be too thick to get thru the tube and other S**T in this area. I don't have to take off the tire. Try this first before you start removing parts.

On #8 (passanger side rear) I jack up the car to get under it. I use the plug socket with a piece of solid 1/2" square stock about 1" long into the socket and a 1/2" open end wrench.

-John
Old 06-29-2008, 12:10 PM
ALS 08
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Same here. Removed fender liner behind wheel and went through that opening behind upper ball joint. No need to take of wheel. May have even used a swivel on socket as well.
Old 06-29-2008, 12:26 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Well,I'm still being hardheaded.I didn't have a major problem getting # 8 out,the problem was getting it back in.I may have to give up and start tearing stuff off because I don't see how I'm going to get it as it sits.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:31 PM
newbecorvetteguy
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tankman
Well,I'm still being hardheaded.I didn't have a major problem getting # 8 out,the problem was getting it back in.I may have to give up and start tearing stuff off because I don't see how I'm going to get it as it sits.
Carefully. You don't want to bugger the first thread. I usually have good luck slipping a piece of rubber fuel line over the end of the spark plug and get it started by turning the hose. Gives it a gentle touch turning while allowing a little movement so it can line up. If it starts in crooked, the hose will spin on the spark plug keeping you from damaging the thread. I changed plugs on my '87 last year without any problems that I remember.

Good luck.
Old 06-29-2008, 03:42 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Thanks to everyone for the responses ,I think I'm going to take a break from the #2 plug,because I'm inventing too many new cuss words .
Old 06-29-2008, 05:14 PM
denvervet
Instructor

I came in thew the wheel well did not remove it used a swiveil and a couple long 3/8s ext and rachet
I do like the vacum hose idea thanks for that newbecorvetteguy
Old 06-29-2008, 05:45 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

I always found #2 pretty easy. As others have mentioned, a couple extensions and you go through the wheel well...........a couple minutes tops. As for #8 I've also had a little trouble in past getting the new plug started. The method that works for me is actually laying over the motor from the driver side. It puts your arm in a different posotion and makes it a snap. After changing plugs on my car many times I've got it to the point where it takes me no more than about 45 minutes to change all 8.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:25 PM
3D-Aircrew
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 145 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by TA
I always found #2 pretty easy. As others have mentioned, a couple extensions and you go through the wheel well...........a couple minutes tops. As for #8 I've also had a little trouble in past getting the new plug started. The method that works for me is actually laying over the motor from the driver side. It puts your arm in a different posotion and makes it a snap. After changing plugs on my car many times I've got it to the point where it takes me no more than about 45 minutes to change all 8.

I had a lot of trouble getting 8 back in too. I'll try that trick next time... Thanks
Old 06-29-2008, 06:36 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Finally got #2 out,hope it doesn't take as long to get the new one in.Thanks again to everyone who helped me.I'll definitely try the tubing.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:52 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

Whew! Finally got new #2 installed.I'm glad I won't be changing plugs on this 'vette again.It's very difficult for me to believe that some people can change plugs on an '87 quickly & without resorting to major profanity .Thanks again to all who helped me.
tankman
Old 06-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Relic
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

#2 really, really sucks. What I did is use a spark plug socket that would accept a 3/4" socket on the end. I then got an articulating 3/8" drive, and a shorty 3/4" socket. Put the plug socket on the plug, fished the drive with the 3/4" socket down and got it on the back. That worked. Used fuel line to get the plugs started, and was careful not to over torque. Used anti-sieze as well.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:37 PM
tankman
Burning Brakes

I also used a piece of fuel line as someone had suggested & don't think I could have replaced it otherwise.This was an experience that I don't want to repeat.Thanks for responding.

Get notified of new replies

To spark plugs

Quick Reply: spark plugs