Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Help! Is this 94 Vette a good deal? (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 08:52 PM
polo1134
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Help! Is this 94 Vette a good deal? (pics)

I never really looked into getting a C4 until recently. Hoping you guys can give me some insight on what to look for when purchasing a C4 and if the following car could be a good deal.

What I'm looking for is a good reliable daily driver (freeway about 40+ miles a day), and good A/C it's HOT in Tucson.

I know the gas mileage will be far worst then my current DD but I just don't like driving a civic anymore, + the civic A/C never really worked well anyways. So I think the following would be much cooler to drive everyday. What do you guys think?

Any help and input on what to look for when buying a C4 will be appreciated.

Price $8,498 (but planning on dealing with them and trading in civic)
Mileage 82,664
Transmission Manual
VIN 1G1YY22PXR5113187

Hoping the A/C works good in this car too!

Old 06-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Quick Draw
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Car looks good. I think you can cut a better deal if you buy this car outright and sell your Civic. Civic should bring you more than they allow on trade.

Go for it and then try to quit smiling!
Old 06-29-2008, 09:00 PM
Mojave
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks like a decent deal to me and it's a manual (harder to find). Under 100K miles, in good running order. Make sure it hasn't been wrecked/salvaged/etc.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:08 PM
vetteblack
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sure looks like a good price to me, and the car looks good too. It's a hell of a lot less than what I paid for my 94 3 years ago. Thats good for you.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:00 PM
Cadillac Tech
Racer

From the pictures it looks real good. Much cooler than a Honda and you will be surprised at how well they do on fuel.

Bruce
Old 06-29-2008, 10:29 PM
Mouse2112
Drifting

Have a mechanic check it out, If all is well, you did good.

I bought my 94 with 72 on the clock and I paid 12K for her.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:50 PM
schrade
Safety Car

Everything looks good. It's what you DON'T see that hurts ya'.

I gave just under 11k for my '94. 83k paint/mechanical near perfect, no interior wear. He was a smoker tho', and it took 2 weeks' serious labor pullin' the carpet and launderin' twice to get the smell out.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:25 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Seems like a good deal from a dealer, and low miles for this area. But the market is pretty much dead here in Arizona, and 6 spds are a very hard sell normally. Be sure there is nothing wrong with the trans or the clutch. Shift it up and down alot, and check for any noise. They are very expensive to fix (one synchro can cost over $3000 before you are done....serious). You should get about 26+ freeway miles, assuming non rush hour traffic, but that's assuming alot in Tucson.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:54 PM
bryantbjb
Pro

Having purchased a C4 here is what I would look for

1. Seals - door, back hatch - they can be pricey to replace.
2. When you start the vette look to see that the select ride system light lights up. When the system fails - and that can cost $2000 - some will just pull the bulb and replace with standard shocks. If the light goes on then off you know the system works.
3. Run the engine temp up on a hot day then turn on the A/C. You should hear the fans turn on. Also watch the temps. Some install a bypass switch to keep the fans running during hot times to avoid the overheat.
4. See if the OPTI / waterpump has been replaced. When the water pump fails it generally takes the OPTI with it. That was fixed in 95.
5. I have an auto so not much help with the standard.
6. Look at the general fit and trim. I ended up having to replace my carpet kit because the AZ sun beat my carpet to death.
7. I love my C4 so if it works enjoy.

Bryant
Old 06-30-2008, 12:03 AM
polo1134
Racer

Originally Posted by zr1fred
Seems like a good deal from a dealer, and low miles for this area. But the market is pretty much dead here in Arizona, and 6 spds are a very hard sell normally. Be sure there is nothing wrong with the trans or the clutch. Shift it up and down alot, and check for any noise. They are very expensive to fix (one synchro can cost over $3000 before you are done....serious). You should get about 26+ freeway miles, assuming non rush hour traffic, but that's assuming alot in Tucson.
Thanks for all the good info. I will shift it up/down and listen for anything odd, also planning on taking it to a mechanic for a checkup.

What about A/C's on these cars, do they work well?

The traffic has gotten real bad in Tucson. Anyone traveling these parts beware of the freeway (I-10), about 14miles of construction work and only 2 open lanes each way!!!
Old 06-30-2008, 12:07 AM
polo1134
Racer

Originally Posted by bryantbjb
Having purchased a C4 here is what I would look for

1. Seals - door, back hatch - they can be pricey to replace.
2. When you start the vette look to see that the select ride system light lights up. When the system fails - and that can cost $2000 - some will just pull the bulb and replace with standard shocks. If the light goes on then off you know the system works.
3. Run the engine temp up on a hot day then turn on the A/C. You should hear the fans turn on. Also watch the temps. Some install a bypass switch to keep the fans running during hot times to avoid the overheat.
4. See if the OPTI / waterpump has been replaced. When the water pump fails it generally takes the OPTI with it. That was fixed in 95.
5. I have an auto so not much help with the standard.
6. Look at the general fit and trim. I ended up having to replace my carpet kit because the AZ sun beat my carpet to death.
7. I love my C4 so if it works enjoy.

Bryant
Wow great list, thanks!
Old 06-30-2008, 12:45 AM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Here you go my friend. This will tell you a lot and check out the section on the zf6sp

It looks like a nice one. I bought mine with 36 on it a few years ago and it soon to hit 85k still runs like a top every single day. If you can do the manual trans your milage will be much better than with the auto.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=956100

Oh yea, I run my ac all the time as it helps keep the engine cool in my daily commuter traffic. Whenever that ac is on both cooling fans run and help keep the engine op temp down. I know if goes against everything you were taught if your a mature guy like me but the way this car is designed it really works 89 today but not hot like where you are

Last edited by Mr. Peabody; 06-30-2008 at 12:49 AM.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:46 AM
CStewTAMU
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would be very cautious. That price seems VERY good. Almost too good to be true assuming it had no problems. I don't remember from reading above, but if it's from a dealer they may be able to get you a car fax for free-most dealers I've dealth with have a company subscription to it-or have one ready for any car on the lot. I paid 10,800 + TTL for mine this past December. My 94 had 78k.

I gotta warn you, you mentioned the AC being cold as important, C4 Corvette's are HOT on the inside on sunny days. At least mine is. Even running with the AC full blast and recirculating, 100+ degree TX heat makes mine feel like an oven. After its been in the sun all day at work, my shirt feels damp from sweat when I get home. I have a sunshade film on the glass roof too to block out the sun. But I do need to get my hatch and windows tinted..maybe that'll help.

I agree with what other poster's said. Get a mechanic to check it out and make sure it doesn't overheat in traffic once the engine is warmed up. When you turn the AC on, as long as the car is quite inside, you should be able to hear the fans kick in. Like someone else mentioned, I am gonna try to get a bypass to get my fans cutting on sooner. It drives me nuts seeing my temp guage go back and forth depending on driving conditions.
Old 06-30-2008, 12:57 AM
Mr. Peabody
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 477 Likes on 353 Posts
C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

You know what, that car isn't goig to run off the lot. when you have some time go back and tell the guy you like it and want to drive it for a few hours. Then take the guy with you thell him to be quiet and go for a nice long drive. It's certainly worth your time and if they say no, just smile at em real nice and say thanks a lot!!

The car has the multi lumbar support sport seats and the expensive FX3 suspension. Make sure its all in working order as the shocks are $200 each and the "actuators" are $300+

Uh.... btw take a look at the world around you at the moment. The civic if it runs good is worth $$
Old 06-30-2008, 01:08 AM
corvettedan22
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good Deal
Old 06-30-2008, 02:25 AM
schrade
Safety Car

Originally Posted by CStewTAMU
Almost too good to be true assuming it had no problems.
Yeah it does. ESPECIALLY for a dealer.

Get autofax, carcheck, etc. If they show nothing, THAT MEANS NOTHING (remember it's what you don't see that gets ya'). If they show something, that's SOMETHING.

One test, and one test alone? Compression check. Put a guage on a couple of the holes, and test for variation. That can tell you more about the maintenance of the vehicle than anything, in my opinion...

Get notified of new replies

To Help! Is this 94 Vette a good deal? (pics)

Quick Reply: Help! Is this 94 Vette a good deal? (pics)