Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Question on replacing stereo on 93

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 07:57 PM
tumbleweed
Race Director

Location: "There's a he11 of a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on this outfit....... i'm pract
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question on replacing stereo on 93

Hello all, I'm a soon-to-be owner of a 1993 coupe (getting excited already ) Anyway, the stereo has a cassette stuck in it, so I'm gonna just replace the thing with a new one with a CD player and possibly XM/Sirius service.....I heard a rumor that the alarm system may be integrated with the factory stereo.....anyone know if that is true and will it change anything if I replace the stereo with a aftermarket one? TIA....
Old 06-30-2008, 08:31 PM
Allieboy
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

look in the audio section. there is alot of time involved. but it can be done, there are alot of nic write ups with pictures in the audio section. there was just a good one here a few days ago here it is
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2058190

im going to pull mine out and send it here

http://www.doctordons.com/repaircost.htm

i like to keep things original
Old 07-01-2008, 12:56 AM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Take a look at this thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show....php?t=2058002

And then read all of this thread:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/showthread.php?t=941281

The factory HU has a security feature that will lock up the HU if the power is disconnected. You must punch in a code to get it to work again, but not all of the radios were set up to do this. Removing it from the car will not have any affect on the factory alarm.

Randy
Old 07-01-2008, 01:24 PM
tumbleweed
Race Director

Location: "There's a he11 of a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on this outfit....... i'm pract
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks all, I'm going to replace the head unit only, and hoping that a after market one will fit right in....just don't know exactly how to get the old one out....anyone with experience in this?
Old 07-01-2008, 03:26 PM
American Raven
C3 Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tumbleweed
Thanks all, I'm going to replace the head unit only, and hoping that a after market one will fit right in....just don't know exactly how to get the old one out....anyone with experience in this?
Dedicate at least a full day to possibly an entire weekend to this job. I found out the hard way that replacing the head unit in a Corvette isn't a fun-on-a-bun exercise.

Read all the info given in the audio section, take notes then come back and ask the more specific questions.

I will say NOTHING is a direct bolt-in to these cars - a new head unit adapter has to be obtained. If it has the Bose-Delco system, plan on paying for new speakers because the Bose system in incompatable with anything other than the Delco head unit.

Then be prepared to be throwing codes unless you read ahead and place certain resistors to certain wires.

Once again, read EVERYTHING in the audio section before you even buy the head unit. The job may be more appetising if it's farmed out to somebody with experience with dealing with C4's (not likely at places like Best Buy or Circuit City).

Enjoy.

Last edited by American Raven; 07-01-2008 at 03:47 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Question on replacing stereo on 93

Quick Reply: Question on replacing stereo on 93