C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Clear coat faded the paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 03:03 PM
TumblingDice
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clear coat faded the paint

Hi everyone. Great forum you have here. I'll start by saying I have a white 91 coupe with a red interior. I recently installed new carpet and have been painting/dyeing various plastic parts. I just finished painting the seat frame backs red (which looked good) and then applied some clear coat. That clear coat turned the seats a salmon pink!!! Has anyone else had this happen when using clear coat? By the way, all the primer, paint and clear coats were in spray cans from Ecklers.

-Josh
Old 08-13-2008, 01:36 AM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,023 Likes on 839 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Spray cans

Spray bombs (cans) are very unpredictible. On a vette, Its best to go to a good automotive finish retailer and buy your paints and dyes there. I ONLY use DuPont products on corvettes. Buy an inexpensive HVLP gun and use good quality automotive paint (no spray bombs). If you spend a little more time and use the HVLP gun, Your results will be spectacular! And extremly long lasting and very durable. Its worth the extra hassle.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:14 AM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteMike2004
...Buy an inexpensive HVLP gun...
Mike,

Are HVLP guns ok for spraying clearcoats?

I ask in complete ignorance because a video I just watched confused me.
Old 08-13-2008, 02:23 AM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Hvlp

heck yea!! HVLP guns are cool. I buy the chroma clear by the gallons and buy the different chroma base colors by the quart. Its WORTH the hassle to use good paint. Sprays bombs are a waste of time
Old 08-13-2008, 09:42 AM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

heck yea!! HVLP guns are cool. I buy the chroma clear by the gallons and buy the different chroma base colors by the quart. Its WORTH the hassle to use good paint. Sprays bombs are a waste of time
Thats it in a nut shell.You cant beat it not to mention the benefit of the durability of the harder and the UV protection in the paint.If you can get a really nice coat out of a spray can,why not out of a gun with all the setting options of a gun.Im not a painter by no means but on the rare occasions that I do need to paint-prime something Ive got a few guns.The biggest hassle,finding the space to paint.Im going to get an extra set of seat backs and paint them with a catalyzed satin red just to see how they turn out.One more thing,to get a really nice coat of paint on something you need to get it wet,you cant get a large area wet enough with a spray can.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Rick Fierro
Instructor

Thats not logical....something else is wrong.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:31 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Not logical

Ive ONLY been an automotive painter for 30 YEARS. Reds are very unpredictable. Especially if you are going to coat them with a spray bomb. I dont understand why a vette owner would want to put GARBAGE paint on a vette. If you like spray bombs, You should drive a toyota.
Old 08-13-2008, 10:51 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Ive ONLY been an automotive painter for 30 YEARS. Reds are very unpredictable. Especially if you are going to coat them with a spray bomb. I dont understand why a vette owner would want to put GARBAGE paint on a vette. If you like spray bombs, You should drive a toyota.
Stick around.You will see alot of this.I really enjoy the -can Maaco paint my Corvette- threads.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:33 AM
American Raven
C3 Corvette Enthusiast
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
Stick around.You will see alot of this.I really enjoy the -can Maaco paint my Corvette- threads.
Yeah, and a trained monkey can paint a Vette also. A trained monkey would probably do a better job. True story: A guy I knew took his beater in for one of their $199.00 jobs back during the 80's. They painted over the chrome trim and even a dried-up pile of bird**** that was on the trunk. They didn't even wash the car before they sprayed God-knows-what onto his car.

Even though my Vette is looking a little worn, the paint is fading, the weatherstripping is slowly decaying, I love it. Right now I'm putting my loose change away so in a couple of years I can have a decent paint job done and have the weatherstripping replaced at the same time. It damned sure won't be Maaco painting it.

Does Earl Shieb (sp) still exist? I know back in the early 80's they did a marginally better job than Maaco.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:06 AM
RED UFO
Pro

Originally Posted by TumblingDice
Hi everyone. Great forum you have here. I'll start by saying I have a white 91 coupe with a red interior. I recently installed new carpet and have been painting/dyeing various plastic parts. I just finished painting the seat frame backs red (which looked good) and then applied some clear coat. That clear coat turned the seats a salmon pink!!! Has anyone else had this happen when using clear coat? By the way, all the primer, paint and clear coats were in spray cans from Ecklers.

-Josh
When I do interior dying I have never used clear. If you use SEM coatings you can't go wrong. For leather and plastics I use Sure Coat. It is not offered in a spray can. Only certain paint stores handle it. The store did a custom color match for me.

semcoatings.com

Here are some examples. Pay no attention the color change from before and after. It was the lighting when I took the pictures. The area around the CORVETTE stitching was not dyed.

This is a Dodge Daytona I did a few years ago the SEM Color Coat for Vinal. I changed the color from black to gray.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:32 PM
Amazing1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default About SEM Sure Coat

Red UFO and Everyone Else,

After seeing the great results you got doing your seats I headed out to a local area SEM Distributor today. When I got there I found Color Coat AND Sure Coat in Aerosol cans.

The Rep told me that they have had problems with the Sure Coat in the Aerosol cans, many of them are not releasing the spray evenly, etc. He also looked at my "whitish" crack repairs on my beige seat
bottom and said that Color Coat would cover those in 2-3 light coats while it would take 8-10 coats of Sure Coat.

So, I purchased a can of Color Coat but after going back to the SEM website I was hesitant because it says the Color Coat product is for Vinyl and other surfaces, but is not recommended for leather.

Obviously I think I need some more info before proceeding, so I have left a message for someone from SEM to contact me. I think I am going to find someone with a paint sprayer and have the distributor mix up a sprayable batch of Sure Coat, which is what you used.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:39 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

it
Old 01-22-2009, 06:27 AM
RED UFO
Pro

Originally Posted by Amazing1
Red UFO and Everyone Else,

After seeing the great results you got doing your seats I headed out to a local area SEM Distributor today. When I got there I found Color Coat AND Sure Coat in Aerosol cans.

The Rep told me that they have had problems with the Sure Coat in the Aerosol cans, many of them are not releasing the spray evenly, etc. He also looked at my "whitish" crack repairs on my beige seat
bottom and said that Color Coat would cover those in 2-3 light coats while it would take 8-10 coats of Sure Coat.

So, I purchased a can of Color Coat but after going back to the SEM website I was hesitant because it says the Color Coat product is for Vinyl and other surfaces, but is not recommended for leather.

Obviously I think I need some more info before proceeding, so I have left a message for someone from SEM to contact me. I think I am going to find someone with a paint sprayer and have the distributor mix up a sprayable batch of Sure Coat, which is what you used.
As I started to read your post I started to have a panic attack. First of all, SEM is correct, COLOR COAT is for Vinal not leather. I used Color Coat on the Daytona. I have never seen Sure Coat in cans. Sure Coat is a custom mixing system and should be applied with a paint gun. What you see on my Vette seats is about 4 thin coats od Sure Coat.
SEM makes a product called Classic Coat in spray cans but I used Sure Coat because I wanted a color match and that is what the technical depatment at SEM recommended.

IMO you need to talk to the Tech at SEM. Do not listen to the employee at the store level. You should have talked to the SEM jobber/rep in you area. You will find his or her email on the website. The Jobber/rep will refer you to the store with the most experience at mix the product.

Follow the prep instructions to the letter.

Get notified of new replies

To Clear coat faded the paint

Quick Reply: Clear coat faded the paint