C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Replacing Starter

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 02:41 PM
dh1948
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Starter

I am thinking I am having starter problems on my 1995 LT1. More often than not when I try to crank it I get a slight click sound. After a couple of tries it starts.

Could this possibly be some other problem other than the starter? Maybe a relay or something like that? As you can tell, I am not very mechanical. Over the past few months I have spent a lot on repairs...O2 sensors, water pump, tires, etc. It's almost impossible to get out of the dealership without spending $1,000.

If this problem is the starter, is this a relatively simple replacement...something I can do myself? If so, where can I find a diagram that will guide me?
Old 09-02-2008, 02:47 PM
thebeerman
Burning Brakes

Buy a factory service manual, then do it yourself.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:16 PM
corvette85guy
Advanced

Default Starter Issue

I'm very much like you in that I had never worked on a car until I bought my vette. With that being said a FSM is "worth it's weight in gold". Also, and this is just from my experience, but a Haynes manual with some pictures provides a little more security that I'm actually looking at the proper part that the manual is talking about.

With all that being said. I had a very similar click on my 85' where it would do the same thing. Click once or twice and then finally turn over. Seemed to happen to me when the motor was already hot. I read a couple of post and a lot of people informed me that the [I]Starter Solenoid[I] was bad (You may want to do a search on STARTER SOLENOID and see what you get). After a few more searches through posts a lot of guys said that they went through and just replaced the contacts on the solenoids and they were on their way. I opted for a little less intrusive method. I just went to my local parts store and they had BOSCH remanufactured starters for $50 or something ridiculously cheap. I bought one, put it in myself and since I put it in and followed the directions I haven't had the slightest hiccup or issue.
Old 09-02-2008, 04:51 PM
or92vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by corvette85guy

With all that being said. I had a very similar click on my 85' where it would do the same thing. Click once or twice and then finally turn over. Seemed to happen to me when the motor was already hot. I read a couple of post and a lot of people informed me that the [I]Starter Solenoid[I] was bad (You may want to do a search on STARTER SOLENOID and see what you get). After a few more searches through posts a lot of guys said that they went through and just replaced the contacts on the solenoids and they were on their way. I opted for a little less intrusive method. I just went to my local parts store and they had BOSCH remanufactured starters for $50 or something ridiculously cheap. I bought one, put it in myself and since I put it in and followed the directions I haven't had the slightest hiccup or issue.
My '92 LT1 didn't have a solenoid. I'd bet your '95 doesn't either.

My starter did the same things yours is doing. I pulled the starter, relpaced the contacts (as mentioned above), and it's been perfect since. Got the contacts at Knecht's Auto Parts. Your local auto parts store may have them as well.

2 contacts, ~$2 each. $4 TOTAL. Not hard to do, either....

If you can find a starter for $50, I'd consider that a steal.

Good luck!
Old 09-02-2008, 05:15 PM
Mouse2112
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are in fact going to change your starter, Here are a couple of tips. Use Jackstands and take off the right front tire. This will give you plenty of room to do the job. Pulling the starter is pretty simple. Now with that being said, You should clean your connections and make sure they are pretty tight before you go and buy a starter. You may not need a new one.
Old 09-02-2008, 05:23 PM
89 Bob L
Burning Brakes

The three most valuable tools for your car are: Field Service Manual, Haynes Manual, and Members on the Forum.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:22 PM
dh1948
Advanced

Default Good Info

I appreciate the responses. I downloaded the specific manual for my Vette from the Chilton site. Lots of good info in it for only $19.95. I am still hesitant to do the job myself. The info in the manual for replacing the starter makes it sound like quite a job for an mechanically challenged man like me. It says you have to remove the exhaust system to get to the starter. Based on the advice you guys have given me I am going to investigate this problem further. If anyone else has any advice to add, I am open to receive it.

I am thinking I am going to try doing the work myself. May have to scream for help if I get in trouble! lol
Old 09-02-2008, 11:00 PM
jrp
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dh1948
It says you have to remove the exhaust system to get to the starter.

I am thinking I am going to try doing the work myself. May have to scream for help if I get in trouble! lol
The catalytic converter makes things a tight squeeze, but the job can be done without removing the exhaust. Here are some tips I gave to someone else.

Originally Posted by jrp
The big trick (to me, anyway) is getting the socket up onto the bolt head before attaching a ratchet extension to it.

You can stick the socket up above the starter body & cat by approaching the bolt from either end of the starter body. It's tight, but I found enough room at the ends to also reach my fingers up there and get the socket situated. I used a screwdriver to help move it around a few times when it was hard to reach. Hold the socket in place with a screwdriver or a finger while attaching the rachet extension & you're all set.

Threading the bolt when installing the starter is a bit harder. With the bolt loose, the starter will hang down enough for you to start the bolt threads with one fingertip from each hand. Partially install other (easy) bolt first so that you won't have to hold the starter up yourself. Get the socket up there the same way as before to torque it down.

That's as much detail as I can come up with, and it all sounds harder than it is in practice. It took a while to figure that bolt out, but if I ever have to do it again, it will be a quick job.
That may not make complete sense until you're under the car looking at things, but if you can turn a bolt you can replace a starter.
Old 09-03-2008, 02:47 PM
or92vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jrp
The catalytic converter makes things a tight squeeze, but the job can be done without removing the exhaust. Here are some tips I gave to someone else.

That may not make complete sense until you're under the car looking at things, but if you can turn a bolt you can replace a starter.
+1.....

I didn't have any clearance probs on my 92.

Two bolts, undo 2 wires and it's out. One of the easier jobs I've done on my car.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:16 PM
grn envy
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

Originally Posted by or92vette
+1.....

I didn't have any clearance probs on my 92.

Two bolts, undo 2 wires and it's out. One of the easier jobs I've done on my car.

I did it on my 93. It took me maybe 20 mins. I was harder pulling the car on the rhino ramps then unbolting and disconnecting the starter.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:57 PM
VinceC4
Pro

I had the same probelm on my 95..I replaced the starter and no more starting probelms..took about an hour and I am an old guy..hardest part for me was getting up after being under the car for 30 minutes..
Old 09-04-2008, 02:43 PM
dh1948
Advanced

Default Ok

You guys have talked me into it. I am going to tackle the job myself. The next step is to find a starter at a reasonable price. If I can find a place that rebuilds starters I may go that route.

Is there anything I should be aware of in purchasing a starter?
Old 09-04-2008, 02:52 PM
dh1948
Advanced

I found a starter on GM Parts Direct. The site lists two: one with zr1 for about $250, and one without zr1 for about $280. That seems kind of expensive to me. Not sure which one I need.
Old 09-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Muffin
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Outrageous. Google Rock Auto or look at your local sources, Autozone,NAPA or Advance. Troy should have an auto electrical shop of some sort, Having yours rebuilt is also a possibility.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

I found a starter on GM Parts Direct. The site lists two: one with zr1 for about $250, and one without zr1 for about $280. That seems kind of expensive to me. Not sure which one I need.

Holy crap

Haven't you heard of autozone, pep boys, NAPA, etc...

Get a reman with the lifetime warranty, it is not hard to change so if it goes again you just get a new one free. It should be less than $100
Old 09-05-2008, 08:11 AM
dh1948
Advanced

Actually, after seeing the price at GM I did a search and found a reman with limited lifetime warranty at Advance in Troy for $120. I am going to do some checking around for some place in this area that rebuilds. Will decide then which is the best route to take.

Thanks for all the advice!!!
Old 09-05-2008, 08:13 AM
Iroc57
Melting Slicks

Actually, after seeing the price at GM I did a search and found a reman with limited lifetime warranty at Advance in Troy for $120. I am going to do some checking around for some place in this area that rebuilds. Will decide then which is the best route to take.

Thanks for all the advice!!!
If they will sell to you why not, they are the ones that sell to the parts stores so you get the same product.
Old 09-05-2008, 10:25 AM
erd90vettesc
Advanced

I had the same issue you are having, I removed the starter and took it to local starter/alternator shop and they rebuilt it for me. It has been perfect ever since and I think I got away for $45 bucks. Was a good deal.
Old 09-05-2008, 06:17 PM
'96 Collector's
Instructor

Originally Posted by erd90vettesc
I had the same issue you are having, I removed the starter and took it to local starter/alternator shop and they rebuilt it for me. It has been perfect ever since and I think I got away for $45 bucks. Was a good deal.
Same here, I paid $25.00 for the rebuild. I couldn't find the contacts around here.

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Starter

Quick Reply: Replacing Starter