C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Need Advice for first Car Show

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:03 AM
Bob88vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice for first Car Show

Going to participate in my first show mid november and working on a few details with the car now. I don't expect any awards or trophies as my car is still working down from a 20 foot looker to a 5 foot looker. I'm going for the fun.

Question is should I show with top off or top on (the car's!)

Thanks for the insight
Old 10-08-2008, 08:27 AM
xlr8nflorida
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob88vette
Going to participate in my first show mid november and working on a few details with the car now. I don't expect any awards or trophies as my car is still working down from a 20 foot looker to a 5 foot looker. I'm going for the fun.

Question is should I show with top off or top on (the car's!)

Thanks for the insight
It depends on the condition of your interior.

Also, just have fun. To win at a car show, you need a pristine car to start with and then you need to do a ton of detailing to win in your class.

I've been there and done it with several trophies to show for it. Better just to do a quick cleaning, have some beers and enjoy the people at the show. It's a $5 trophy anyway
Old 10-08-2008, 09:30 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 143 Likes on 118 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida
Better just to do a quick cleaning, have some beers and enjoy the people at the show. It's a $5 trophy anyway
Best advice you'll get right there!

I've spent hours in the hot sun, and hundreds of dollars on cleaning products for that $5 trophy.

As for you top on or off, most of the time it depends on the show your at. Just ask one of the judges or when you register. Sometimes they have a preference.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:35 AM
Bob88vette
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It depends on the condition of your interior.

Also, just have fun. To win at a car show, you need a pristine car to start with and then you need to do a ton of detailing to win in your class.

I've been there and done it with several trophies to show for it. Better just to do a quick cleaning, have some beers and enjoy the people at the show. It's a $5 trophy anyway
Thanks XLR....Interior is one to ten seven at best. I'm going to see how the weather is and if it's nice out I'll take it off for the cruise over and home.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:45 AM
96LT4
Team Owner

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts
Former Moderator
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
Cruise-In VI Veteran
CI3 Car Show Winner
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Yep...most shows are popularity contests anyway. I'm so over people who just go for trophys then take pictures and post them with their cars...honestly, get a life.

Car shows to me are just a reason to get together and shoot the sh&% with some friends and have a good time.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:45 AM
ottawabarber
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

HAVE FUN

take a chair, camera (for pics of yours and others cars), and a cooler with beverages - enjoy the whole day as they are fun.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:33 AM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Are you competing concurs or people's choice?

If your Vette is to be judged, read their criteria. Some shows the carpets come off, nothing in the glove compartment etc.

For people's choice, it about club participation and people that knows you. I competed in a PC show against 150 C4, there were only 3 club members there and I took second place.

Shows are fun, take a camera and share pictures with us in here. You'll learn lots of knowledge in a car show, use it for your advantage.

Leave the targa top on.
Remove wheels, clean inside of them and brake calipers.
Use a credit card to clean inside the mirrors, rubber around the car and tight spaces.
Clean inner fenders with simple green and a green scratch pad and buff them with a light coat of armor all.
November, buy some plastic wrap and put it on the nose. This will prevent bugs to ruin your Vette while you drive
Q-tips to clean on corners
Seats all the way down and back.

Good Luck, let us know the results

Get notified of new replies

To Need Advice for first Car Show

Quick Reply: Need Advice for first Car Show