Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 10:08 PM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,022 Likes on 839 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by Dennis Luckett
I just changed my outer tail light on my 84 Vette. I took the left rear wheel and inner liner off to do the job. It took some time but I believe it was my best course of action. Thanks to all the post on the subject. Dennis
Welcome. Post up pics of your 84 vette.
There are alot of new 84 owners here.
Old 10-02-2010, 03:27 PM
Botei
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

GM must have made the rear end a little different within the year(s). On my 86, most vettes listed have 84-(89 or 88), I could not access the rear tail lights from the license plate access hole. It's easier to find from the under side. However you can't see what you are doing to replace the bulb(s). I think mine, had the original lights because it still had the factory grease to keep water out. Once I had the light twisted out as this forum recommended. I had to remove the screws along the wheel (rear side) to pull the fender scurtting out so that I could find the light access from below.
so here goes: from my shop (workshop for my tractor).
1 raise up the rear for easier access, yes your on a floor I hope not the ground.
2 remove the screws from inside the rear wheel well (Torgue driver to remove them.)
3 twist out the bulb, it's going to be dificult because you can't see & tite quarters
the light housing may not rotate easly, this is work.
4 if your bulb had the factory grease use a battery wire brush (post type), to clean out
the light reciever.
5 then insert & twist the the light gently so as not to breake the bulb. You should feel
it lock.
6 place the light back in the socket (easy part) and lock in (clock wise turn). You should
hear(a click sound) & feel it lock into place.
I did think about walmart guys to replace the bulb, it took me 1.25 hours to replace 1 bulb. I'm not a mechanic, a computer geek.

Last edited by Botei; 10-02-2010 at 03:29 PM.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:49 AM
wheelgunner
1st Gear

Default An easy way

I needed to change the outboard driver tail-light bulb as well.
However, After reading the replies and trying to reach the light bulb assembly from different angles, I could not get to it. The Haynes manual even said to reach between the muffler and the rear fascia...no dice. I did not want to take apart more than I had to.
I removed the support rod behind the rear wheel well, that is connected to the wheel well at the rear. The wheel well bolt head is on the tire side of the wheel well. This support rod is connected to a metal beam sort of over the outboard side of the muffler. Both bolts are 10mm. With this out of the way, I could reach up fairly easily to find the assembly and turn it counter clockwise to remove it.
After this it drops down to where I can see it and change the bulb. It did take a couple of minutes to orients the unit properly to turn it clockwise to re-insert it, but this still was not very hard. I should have just paid closer attention to its orientation before I removed it.
This entire process took about 10-15 minutes only, without having to dissassemble the car, thank goodness. And, the light works now.
Hope this helps someone else.

Last edited by wheelgunner; 04-22-2012 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:20 AM
Steve Goetsch
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Corvette Rear Bulbs

Every Corvette dealership has a trained Orangetan for reaching the tight spots. They charge $70.00 per hour when in reality the monkey works for peanuts

Last edited by Steve Goetsch; 02-28-2013 at 03:12 AM.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:29 PM
CREWZIN
Melting Slicks

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I just added the LED's to mine. Went through the license plate area. Took about an hour for what should be a 10 minute job of changing bulbs.

Name:  DSC00003-1.jpg
Views: 2459
Size:  492.2 KB
Old 09-21-2013, 07:58 PM
wa3hcr
7th Gear

you all are crazy!
Old 08-07-2016, 09:22 PM
nhlighthouse
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob88vette
Ok I'll try it from underneath thanks. I could feel the housing through the license tag access but had no idea what to turn/push/pull and it was quite tight with my fat arms.
Remember Boyz....Leftie LOOSIE...Rightie Tightie
Old 08-07-2016, 09:23 PM
nhlighthouse
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so are you guys saying that this bulb change can be done from reaching up under the rear bumber?
Does this also work on an 85 corvette?

Last edited by nhlighthouse; 08-07-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:42 AM
divotdug
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by nhlighthouse
so are you guys saying that this bulb change can be done from reaching up under the rear bumber?
Does this also work on an 85 corvette?
On my '84 it's a 10 minute job to change an inner bulb, add 5 minutes more for an outer bulb.

Remove the couple of screws on the bottom of the bumper cover. My big, old arm can reach up behind the bumper cover to the inner bulbs with no issue.

To get to the outer bulbs I need to remove the inner assembly and access the outer bulb via the inner hole.
Old 08-08-2016, 10:31 AM
DMITTZ
Melting Slicks

Received 561 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by CREWZIN
I just added the LED's to mine. Went through the license plate area. Took about an hour for what should be a 10 minute job of changing bulbs.

Those LED tail lights look awesome! What brand are they?
Old 12-05-2016, 06:48 PM
94vete
3rd Gear

Default C4 1991 and newer tailight lens comes right off from outside.

C4 1991 and newer tailight bulbs you can access from removing the lens from outside of the car.
These are the square tailights and only require you to remove two torx screws to get the lens off and the light bulbs twist out.
This I discovered after trying to get to them through the license plate which I couldn't reach the outer ones from.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:32 PM
xrav22
Drifting

Received 235 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by DMITTZ
Those LED tail lights look awesome! What brand are they?
I agree what brand are they please tell
Old 12-06-2016, 05:44 PM
davide0721
1st Gear

Default Removing rear lights

The only thing that was not mentioned is that fact that you need to remove the spare tire holder bracket mounted behind the license plate. Unscrew the bolt that holds the spare tire cover and then 3 bolts that mount the bracket. Once this is removed any normal size person can reach the screws holding the inner taillight in place. Once the inner light is remove you can easily get to the outer light through the inter light hole.
Originally Posted by ps374
This is nice advise from the book 101 Projects for your C4 , but in reality it does not work unless you have not eaten in over 50 days and your arms are the size of a 5 year old. You MIGHT be able to get at the inner lens this way IF your Lucky but its impossible to get at the outer lens this way. Your car in made of Fiberglass and it is soft enough to bend. You can either take the rear bumper off ( I don't advise this ) or pull the lower quarter panel out with you hand and feel your way up their. Unplug the bulb and feel around for the head of the nut. I don't remember the size, go up with your socket and a small extension and turn the screw by hand. You wont be able to get the ratchet up their so this job has to be done with a short extension and the socket in hand. A real pain but possible. Dropping the muffler helps its but not nessary.Having someone hold the panel apart makes it much easier. You arm is are going to be pretty beat up after you finish and use a pillow under you neck. You body will appreciate that. I guess Chevrolet never expected these bulbs to burn out?

Last edited by davide0721; 12-06-2016 at 05:47 PM.

Quick Reply: How do I replace a tail light