C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

L98 water pump

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 04:16 AM
Richard A. Thomas
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default L98 water pump

My 1991 L98 needs a new water pump. It is already running a little hotter than it used to ever since the head gaskets were replaced, so I want to get a good quality pump. I'm looking at the Edelbrock Victor series model 8815. The JEG'S site says this pump is "reverse rotation". Does this mean it's intended for "reverse flow cooling" engines? I know that didn't come out until the LT1 in 1992. Is this the pump I need for my L98?
Secondly, I've only replaced one water pump before (in a 4.3L Vortec V6, which is a 350 V8 with 2 cylinders removed). Neither I nor a couple mechanics ever were able to get all the air out of the system. The temp. guage showed the engine ran a little hotter than it used to, and occasionally I would squeeze the upper radiator hose and felt no pressure. Any advice on how to get all the air evacuated from the system? Thanks.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:27 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

I believe the "reverse rotation" refers to which way the pump turns. Serpentine belts sometimes turn a different direction than the older multi belt system. If your system is not building pressure, you have a leak somewhere, probably a bad radiator cap.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Square
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just replaced the water pump on my 86'. I used a "FlowCooler" water pump from Summit Racing. I believe it was $104.

I had to remove the A/C bracket and disconnect the fuel send and return lines to get to the water pump. The pump itself was very simple. I also replaced the lower heater hose (which I got from NAPA auto parts). I had to cut the hose to fit, but it had the correct bends.

The procedure I use for "burping" the L98 is:

- Fill the radiator
- drive the car up on ramps, so the front is elevated
- open the radiator cap and start the engine
- Once the thermostat opens, the coolant level wil drop
- Have a second person hold the engine at 2,000RPM, this will "pack the radiator" and hold the coolant down in the radiator
- top off the radiator with coolant, and then reinstall the radiator cap

I found this procedure here on the forum and it has worked for me.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:09 PM
RandyJ75
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by Square
I just replaced the water pump on my 86'. I used a "FlowCooler" water pump from Summit Racing. I believe it was $104.

I had to remove the A/C bracket and disconnect the fuel send and return lines to get to the water pump. The pump itself was very simple. I also replaced the lower heater hose (which I got from NAPA auto parts). I had to cut the hose to fit, but it had the correct bends.

- Fill the radiator
- Have a second person hold the engine at 2,000RPM, this will "pack the radiator" and hold the coolant down in the radiator

No need to burp a '91, the cooling system is different.

I did mine a couple of years ago, and changed all of the hoses and thermostat. You will need to remove the A/C bracket to get it out, not too bad a job, depends on how young you are.
I used and Edelbrock high flow pump, which works great, but caused my intake manifold to start leaking coolant.
Just take your time, it's not to bad a job. Check back in w/ any questions.

Randy
Old 03-11-2009, 06:16 PM
M.J.L.
Safety Car

St. Jude Donor '10-'11

- Fill the radiator

Just replaced mine as well.
Old 03-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Demonic85
Team Owner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The water pump is a reverse rotation pump. The reverse cooling on LT1's refers to the coolant being pumped to the heads first rather than the radiator.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:46 PM
zzpw3x
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine a few weeks ago. It took me a solid 6 hours. Part of the time was wasted when the service manual told me to remove the air pump and air pump bracket. I kept looking at it and didn't understand why it need to be removed. It turns out that it doesn't.

You may want to get new o-rings ahead of time for the fuel lines. Advanced auto had them on hand.

Last edited by zzpw3x; 03-16-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:41 PM
tshirttom
Racer

Default the same?

Originally Posted by Demonic85
The water pump is a reverse rotation pump. The reverse cooling on LT1's refers to the coolant being pumped to the heads first rather than the radiator.
So is this the same for a L98 with a reserve pump installed? I recently installed an Edelbrock reverse water pump and used basically a standard serpentine belt.
Old 05-06-2009, 04:39 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

I use a Stewart Stage 1 pump, but would use a FlowKooler as well.
Old 05-06-2009, 06:20 PM
Red Tornado
Team Owner

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Flowkooler here
Old 05-06-2009, 06:48 PM
crunchy
Racer

I replaced the water pump for my '90 with the 69 dollar special from Schucks about a year ago. The cheap one turns out to be cast iron instead of aluminum. It just started to leak coolant from 'some where up front'. After removing it, it looked like it was leaking from around the gasket. I cleaned up all the gasket material and tried dry fitting it back in place. It rocked back and forth without seating nicely against the block. I checked the pump on the granite kitchen counter top and it was perfectly flat. I did notice where it touched the timing chain cover that there was some corrosion. The cast iron pump body seems to be thicker than the aluminum one was. A hammer and a severe tightening solved my leak.
And yes, the belt tensioner, the fuel lines(get new O rings) and the air conditioner all have to come out to get to the water pump.
Old 05-06-2009, 07:07 PM
DM VETT
Pro

Do you have to burp a 1990 L-98?
Old 06-06-2009, 04:20 AM
rpoL98
Pro

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I also had to remove my idler pulley. not enough forward clearance to get the AC bracket off of the waterpump long stud.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:23 AM
samsonb
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

- Fill the radiator

That is a good price on a water pump. The prices I was seeing from the Corvette venders were over $300.
Old 06-06-2009, 05:49 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How do you know it's the pump? I'd remove the upper shroud and take a look between the radiator and the condenser first if you have not already. It's common for this area to fill with road debris and leaves, restricting airflow and reducing cooling efficiency. Stat opening up, fans run? Assuming you did a flush and stat change when the head gaskets where changed.
Old 06-06-2009, 06:58 AM
frenchyoliver
Drifting

Originally Posted by DM VETT
Do you have to burp a 1990 L-98?
no need. just fill it up at idle.
Fill up the radiator by the upper hose first.
You re done.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:47 AM
gmboileau
Instructor

Originally Posted by 86PACER
How do you know it's the pump? I'd remove the upper shroud and take a look between the radiator and the condenser first if you have not already. It's common for this area to fill with road debris and leaves, restricting airflow and reducing cooling efficiency. Stat opening up, fans run? Assuming you did a flush and stat change when the head gaskets where changed.

Unless the water pump is leaking it's unlikely the cause of overheating.

Get notified of new replies

To L98 water pump

Old 09-22-2016, 10:29 PM
justmax36
5th Gear

Default Aftermarket water pumps scraping the timing cover

aftermarket water pumps have a tendency to bind a little bit on the timing cover. But thicker gaskets, which they do make is an easy $3 fix to the problem. Or you can double up Regular Size gaskets just depends on how thick you need it. But the thicker gasket they make for this issue seems to be exactly the right size without throwing off pulley alignment. And eliminates all the banging and excess gasket sealer LOL
Old 09-22-2016, 10:34 PM
justmax36
5th Gear

Default Flowkooler 1688 says it's both standard and reverse rotation

I'm finishing up on the rebuild on my 89 l98 and I've got the flow cooler 1688 and it says that it's both standard and or reverse rotation. That's a little confusing to me. I understand that on the Belt setup if it's on the grooves it standard and if it's on the smooth side it's reverse. But isn't it still turning in the same direction in either case? So how does that make it standard or reverse? To me that means it will work with either setup but that doesn't make the water pump itself both so that's where I'm confused. But flowkooler says under the specs and I quote standard or reverse rotation water pump. Okay that's my headache of the day with this dang motor LOL well that was after I figured out the water pump scraping against the timing cover issue!
Old 09-23-2016, 01:45 PM
kostas86
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Had mine replaced in spring with another OEM one.

Quick Reply: L98 water pump