C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Noisy rear

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 10:09 AM
Dipshift
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noisy rear

I have an 87 vette with 4+3 tranny with over 123,000 and still runs hard. The problem is when I stomp on the pedal, I hear a loud clicking coming from the rear end. First it sounding like it was coming from the pass. side rear . I was told it was the rear hub going. So after breaking a couple t-55 sockets to get it off, I finally replaced it. Only to hear it still. Now I am worried it might be coming from the differential. Not looking forward to rebuilding that. Any help would be great. Thanxs
Old 05-09-2009, 10:52 AM
StealthLT4
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you replace the little teflon-impregnated washer when you replaced the hub? It goes between the hub and the spindle (or w/e), and from what I've heard a worn-out one (or none at all) can cause a clicking sound. Also, it may be the U-joints. I forget what those sound like...
Old 05-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Dipshift
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice and come to think out it I might have overlooked that. If the the u-joint is goin wouldn't it be a constant sound?
Old 03-16-2019, 02:50 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 437 Likes on 319 Posts

Solved
Old 03-18-2019, 10:37 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by Dipshift
Thanks for the advice and come to think out it I might have overlooked that. If the the u-joint is goin wouldn't it be a constant sound?
No necessarily. You likely will hear clatter or banging when loading and unloading the u-joint only - not continuously. That's when shifting or going from reversing direction. One way to check (but not absolute) is to elevate the car try rotating the wheel while holding onto the other side of the u-joint. Any play and it's a bad joint. The Teflon washers should be changed at the same time if at all possible. Corvette Central IIRC is the only place selling reproductions at this time. Remember when pulling the shaft that there's a lip on the washer and it has to go back together correctly.

Clicking can also be attributed to a brake issue plus a hub issue or something loose. You need to go through it thoroughly and correctly to diagnose the issue.

Last edited by hcbph; 03-18-2019 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 12:45 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

When the U-joint(s) have gone in my '88s the symptom was clicking on accel, particularly from the RR which went before the LR.

Get notified of new replies

To Noisy rear

Quick Reply: Noisy rear