C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Roller Rockers

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 05:40 PM
mrbonzia
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Roller Rockers

i found a set Harland Sharp Roller Rockers for 100.00 what should i look for when getting these used and what else will i need to finish the job 1985 corvette stock auto
Old 06-09-2009, 05:50 PM
Dolfan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll need to determine if these are the right set for your year. Do you need the narrow design? Do you need self aligning? Are they 3/8 stud size?

I don't know the answers for a stock 85.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:23 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

You need to know the rocker ratio (1.5 or 1.6) to make sure you don't put the valve springs into bind or over-lift enough to put a valve onto the top of a piston. Valve cover clearance can sometimes be an issue. Also you might need different push rods that are compatible with guide plates (another 'maybe item'). Don't mean to scare you off these things, but they do open a number of compatibility questions before you just stick them on. They do offer advantages, but check out things first before you jump into something you might need too many extra items to make work.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:42 PM
coupeguy2001
Le Mans Master

Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Modified Finalist

1. you need to check the roller tips to determine that they are not overstressed and that there's no corrosion on the axle.
2. roll the rocker on it's fulcrum, and feel for glitches, rough spots, and if the pivot axle and bearings have been affected by the acids in the previous engine's oil. If the other person didn't change oil often enough, there will be telltale signs even though they cleaned up the rockers.
3. determine in the crotch of the fulcrum pivot that the previous engne didn't have too much cam, and run the full length of the slot.
4. Determine if the rocker is 1.5 or 1.6. The difference will be slight, and they are not stamped as to the ratio. The 1.6 rocker tip roller will protrude past the edge, and the 1.5 roller will not be out as much, but will be just past the edge. although you need to have both in your hand since they are quite similar to be 100% sure.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:09 AM
PAINTER MAN
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I installed 1.6 Harland sharp RR in my 86. I also installed LT4 springs and valve seals. The ones I installed where made for my car. I did have to remove the drip tabs from the valve covers.

The also are very quiet.

Get notified of new replies

To Roller Rockers

Quick Reply: Roller Rockers