Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Help buying rear tires...followed by rims at a later date...wana order the right rims

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:53 AM
CStewTAMU
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Help buying rear tires...followed by rims at a later date...wana order the right rims

Alright, here is my situation. I am about to replace my rear tires only on my 1994 Corvette. It has the standard 17" staggered fitment sawblades that came on the regular base model Corvette.

Right now, I have some 245's on the fronts which I replaced a few months ago. Probably have 90% of the tread remaining.

The rears are about gone. Right now, I have Firestone wideovals 285's. I'll probably just go with the same as the replacement.

What I want do to is get some ZR-1 replicas AT A LATER DATE and move the tires to the new rims and keep my sawblades for some autocrossing tires. I want to run the same 245s in the front and 285s in the rear. What size (width) rims do I need?

I don't think I have ever seen 8.5x17 inch ZR1 replica rims. I see the 9.5 x17 and 11x17 all the time, but wouldn't those be too big for the front and rear respectively? If I am keeping the same 245s in the front and 285s in the rear, shouldn't I get 8.5x17 and 9.5x17 rims?

I am trying to do the following in 3 stages for $$$ reasons. I can't shell out $2+ grand to do all 3 of these at the same time.

-Replace the worn out rear tires.
-Replace the stock sawblades and moving the tires on the sawblades to the new ZR-1 replicas.
-Take the sawblades and put autoX tires on them.

I just wana make darn sure I order the exact rims I need.

Thanks.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:29 AM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by CStewTAMU
I see the 9.5 x17 and 11x17 all the time, but wouldn't those be too big for the front and rear respectively? If I am keeping the same 245s in the front and 285s in the rear, shouldn't I get 8.5x17 and 9.5x17 rims? .
You have 9.5" rims now.
9.5" is the std 17" Vette width so swapping tires to other wheels should not be a problem.
The 17 x 11's came stock with 315 tires I believe
Old 06-11-2009, 05:04 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,270 Likes on 2,031 Posts

The '96 CE cars run an 8.5/9.5 combo 5-spoke A-mold wheel. They're maybe harder to come by but if you're looking for ZR-1 appearance these would do well.

I believe I have a pair of 8.5's that were part of a 4 wheel set that I bought for the 9.5's I needed to complete a wheel package for a ZR-1. I probably have a pair of original 9.5's also. All 4 GM wheels not replicas! If you're interested PM me!

Get notified of new replies

To Help buying rear tires...followed by rims at a later date...wana order the right rims

Quick Reply: Help buying rear tires...followed by rims at a later date...wana order the right rims