Heator Core Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 10:06 AM
Michael 59' corvette
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Heator Core Replacement

Hi,

My heator core on a 90 vette needs to be replaced. Does anyone know what the assembly is.... do i need to take apart the dash to replace it? Any input would be most helpful
Old 09-02-2009, 10:54 AM
george4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are several detail threads on changing the heater core on the forum. The core is located in the heater box, in the dash, passenger side. Apparently it is part #1 down the assembly line and the vehicle is built around it. There is a split of opinion on removing the dash; I did my ’89 lying on the passenger floor looking up without removing the dash. If I were to do it again, I would remove the passenger seat to be a little more comfortable. Time consuming because of limited access but very doable for most amateur mechanics.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:57 AM
Doug 87L98
Drifting

Originally Posted by Michael 59' corvette
Hi,

My heator core on a 90 vette needs to be replaced. Does anyone know what the assembly is.... do i need to take apart the dash to replace it? Any input would be most helpful
The dash cover needs to come off and the passenger side knee bolster needs to be removed and then a bunch of other stuff on the passenger side.

A set of swivel sockets (NOT universal joints) will make the job easier.

Good luck, I did mine in about 6 hours. Like many have said before, the heater core was installed first then they built the whole Corvette around it!
Old 09-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Gosh I dread the day I will have to do that.
Old 09-03-2009, 01:10 PM
runner140*
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 282 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
Gosh I dread the day I will have to do that.
I don't know where Winter Park, Florida is but here in South Florida, Ft. Lauderdale, we don't use heat and would simply merge the inlet and outlet hoses together. No heater but no heater core problem either.
Old 09-03-2009, 02:17 PM
jeffp1167
Safety Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's easy to change it. I did mine in about 6 hours.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Phantom_Vette1
Racer

Hi i have a 90 vette and my core has gone aswell!

i have taken out my pass seat due to it needing fixing anyway! so yes it it easier to lay on your back, but i found it very hard, as your shoulders are squashed into the footwell and then getting your arms to go up under the dash is nearly impossible!, let alone to undo tiny bolts.
i undid pretty much all the wiring connectors, just to get better access and views!
i am thinking some of the air ducts have to come out! but i don't see how as there is just no room to get to them! and with the ducts in the way i can't pull the heater box cover out! its so awkward to do anything as only one hand can really get in there and even then there is no leverage room!

i gave up for the time being and just bypassed the core for now!

Good Luck!
Old 09-04-2009, 01:52 PM
thebeerman
Burning Brakes

If you do it yourself, don"t be in a hurry. I'm not a bad wrench, but it took me over 10 hours.
Old 09-05-2009, 02:55 PM
traxx1
Racer

I am thankful that the guy I bought my 91 coupe from had it replaces a year befor I got it he had the receipt but the price was high for the labor.
Old 09-05-2009, 06:15 PM
abc 123
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Doug 87L98
The dash cover needs to come off and the passenger side knee bolster needs to be removed and then a bunch of other stuff on the passenger side.

A set of swivel sockets (NOT universal joints) will make the job easier.

Good luck, I did mine in about 6 hours. Like many have said before, the heater core was installed first then they built the whole Corvette around it!

You can not compare an 84-89 car to a 90+

The upper dash pad comes out fairly easy. Just removing all the necessary trim pieces is what is time consuming. Then snaking tools in and around the heater core box to remove the cover.

It is a time consuming job. Make sure you have plenty of room to lay out all the parts and label the screws for what they go into.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:21 PM
92LRC
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by runner140*
I don't know where Winter Park, Florida is but here in South Florida, Ft. Lauderdale, we don't use heat and would simply merge the inlet and outlet hoses together. No heater but no heater core problem either.
I'm dreading having to replace mine. I just moved from Weston, FL to Maryland and my heater core is no good.
Old 09-05-2009, 11:10 PM
tblt44
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine works but if it goes I will bypass it(I live in central FL)
Old 09-06-2009, 01:43 AM
Puppet
2nd Gear

I had to replace the heater core on my 94 right after I bought it. Not only did the heater not work correctly, water would come in on the floor board of the passenger side of the car. I assume this was from running the A/C, not sure... Expensive fix!!

Get notified of new replies

To Heator Core Replacement

Quick Reply: Heator Core Replacement