C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Garage painting

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 06:32 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Default Garage painting

My vette is off to the shop to get some paint on the hood and I figured I would redecorate her room while she was gone.... Who here has experience with garage paint. I am looking to do a gray with some flakes epoxy paint the concrete floor to tidy up the room. What systems work best and where can i get them
Old 10-03-2009, 07:21 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I used the Rustoleum Garage Epoxy availabel at Home Depot. It's very easy to apply but preparation is the main ingredient. Make sure the floor is prefectly clean and free of grease, oil or any other contaminants. The acid wash that comes with the kit is required, no matter how clean or new the floor is.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Z-07 freak
Le Mans Master

Location: Why are there squished peanut butter cups in my underware?
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Tiles!

Old 10-03-2009, 09:36 PM
jrzvette
Safety Car

Location: The reason time exists is so everything doesn't happen at once
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-07 freak
Tiles!

Great looking garage.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:57 PM
NitroNutt
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z-07 freak
Tiles!

Frekin schaweet. Is that LPs on the wall?
Old 10-03-2009, 11:29 PM
Z-07 freak
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by NitroNutt
Is that LPs on the wall?
Old 10-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Impala Balko
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

I really like the tiles and I wanted to checkerboard the thing but there were two reasons why I didnt.

1. Cost WAYYYY more expensive to tile it VS paint it
2. Paint should be more durable, easier clean up and I dont have to worry about cracking a tile if I drop a wrench or when I choose to jack the car up in the garage.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:40 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,332 Likes on 674 Posts

I really like the fancy floors and the nice garages just can't imagine working in one. I weld, paint and do bodywork in mine and that floor would be junk in no time. I would like to have an attached garage layed out like that then a 50X90 outback for work. I'd also like a FAT FREE LOW CALORIE Papa Johns Pizza that tasted EXACTLY the same as a regular one I would also like a PROFESSIONAL Football Team in Cleveland
Old 10-04-2009, 11:41 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JD'S WHITE 93
I really like the fancy floors and the nice garages just can't imagine working in one. I weld, paint and do bodywork in mine and that floor would be junk in no time. I would like to have an attached garage layed out like that then a 50X90 outback for work. I'd also like a FAT FREE LOW CALORIE Papa Johns Pizza that tasted EXACTLY the same as a regular one I would also like a PROFESSIONAL Football Team in Cleveland
I don't think any work gets done in there
Old 10-05-2009, 03:53 AM
mnstrlt1
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ch@0s
I don't think any work gets done in there
seriously! Just get me a roll away bed, frig, microwave, computer, and HVAC and I wouldn't step foot into the house. lol...
Old 10-05-2009, 06:34 AM
Red-Lt1
Instructor

I have the Swisstrak tiles. They are real easy to put down and clean easily.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:53 AM
flynn508
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Impala Balko
My vette is off to the shop to get some paint on the hood and I figured I would redecorate her room while she was gone.... Who here has experience with garage paint. I am looking to do a gray with some flakes epoxy paint the concrete floor to tidy up the room. What systems work best and where can i get them
I used the 2 part kit from Sears (Weatherbeater silver gray epoxy paint) It was only $59 for enough to do 1/2 of my 2 car garage. It comes with a heavy duty cleaner that I used to scrub the oil spots and wash the floor. I didn't have to acid wash the floor because mine wasn't sealed. I cut in the whole side and then rolled out about a 4'X4' section at a time so that I could sprinkle the flakes on. They recommend letting it cure for a week before driving on it, but you can walk on it after 24 hours. I thought that the prep and cleanup were both extremely easy because it is a water based epoxy. Looks great too! I will put up some picks a little later.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:01 AM
traxx1
Racer

I used the Home Depot epoxy mix before I moved into my present house, I cleaned for 2 days and did everything right and waited for a week for it to dry and about after a month my 91 started to pull paint off it, SO, now I will try the tile next.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:03 AM
socalman
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by Impala Balko
I really like the tiles and I wanted to checkerboard the thing but there were two reasons why I didnt.

I dont have to worry about cracking a tile if I drop a wrench or when I choose to jack the car up in the garage.
You're thinking of ceramic floor tile- Most use Vinyl or Rubber floor tiles- Vinyl stick on tiles cost about $1 psf- agreed, more than paint- but you won't ever crack these.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:04 AM
flynn508
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by traxx1
I used the Home Depot epoxy mix before I moved into my present house, I cleaned for 2 days and did everything right and waited for a week for it to dry and about after a month my 91 started to pull paint off it, SO, now I will try the tile next.
that sux! I can say that I have had no problem with mine, I could tell right away when the paint was going on that it was soaking down into the concrete very well. Traxx, maybe you had a sealed floor and you didn't etch it properly with acid wash first? Just a guess..
Old 10-05-2009, 11:49 AM
Greg0u812
Burning Brakes

Impala???????

I thought you sold the vette a while back.

Am I wrong......or did you get another one?
Old 10-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Z-07 freak
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by traxx1
I used the Home Depot epoxy mix before I moved into my present house, I cleaned for 2 days and did everything right and waited for a week for it to dry and about after a month my 91 started to pull paint off it.
My neighbor used the same stuff and had the same results. A waste of $$$ in his opinion.

Originally Posted by socalman
You're thinking of ceramic floor tile- Most use Vinyl or Rubber floor tiles- Vinyl stick on tiles cost about $1 psf- agreed, more than paint- but you won't ever crack these.
That's what mine is. Vinyl stick @ $1 a piece. No problems for far.

Originally Posted by Red-Lt1
Nice cabinets. (Even if the doors on the tall cabinet are on upside down.)

Last edited by Z-07 freak; 10-05-2009 at 12:43 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Garage painting

Old 10-05-2009, 05:44 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

My latest issue of Corvette Enthusiast (Dec '09 issue) has an ad in the back for garage flooring that comes on a big roll (like carpet).
If anyone has that issue then check it out for more info.
I just mailed that magazine along with some goodies to a lady in our armed forces in Afghanistan so I am unable to reference it.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:24 PM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Here's my garage...

The cabinets are from Moduline. I got the epoxy for the floor from UCoatit. The back-splash on the counters is SlatWall covered in brushed aluminum.

I work on the cars in here all the time...a quick wet-mop and it looks fine.

Don't think I'd ever weld in here though...pulling it outside is the only way I'd do anything like that

Preparation is the key to a great job. I rented a concrete wet grinder for a day and went over the entire surface to etch the surface for maximum adhesion. Then, like everyone else said...clean, clean, clean...then acid etch. I used a layer of their floor leveler as well to make it as smooth as possible.
Old 10-05-2009, 10:49 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 1991Z07
Here's my garage...

The cabinets are from Moduline. I got the epoxy for the floor from UCoatit. The back-splash on the counters is SlatWall covered in brushed aluminum.

I work on the cars in here all the time...a quick wet-mop and it looks fine.

Don't think I'd ever weld in here though...pulling it outside is the only way I'd do anything like that

Preparation is the key to a great job. I rented a concrete wet grinder for a day and went over the entire surface to etch the surface for maximum adhesion. Then, like everyone else said...clean, clean, clean...then acid etch. I used a layer of their floor leveler as well to make it as smooth as possible.
WOW

Quick Reply: Garage painting