Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

convertible top..possible to just replace the plastic window vs. entire top?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 06:02 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default convertible top..possible to just replace the plastic window vs. entire top?

My convertible top is in surprisingly good condition, with the exception of the plastic window.

It has some haze and light scratches. I tried to use 'Flitz' on it (as recommended by mid-america), but it made it a little worse if anything.

Is it possible to replace this plastic window by itself? or install a glass window?

How much weight would a glass window (vs. plastic) add?
Old 11-10-2009, 08:57 AM
86 Yellow Pace
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just used a 3 step product system by "Diamondite" designed for vinyl windows. I was impressed with the results/improvement!! Do a Google for Diamondite Vinyl System if your interested.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:04 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I removed the top from a C3 I used to own and took it to an auto upholstery shop. They removed the cracked/hazed original window and replaced it with new plastic. Looked great!
I rented a videotape from Al Knoch on how to remove/replace the top.
I tried to fix the window by buffing it out with a similar product as above but the edges were still crazed. When I put more pressure on the buffer the plastic split which forced me to have it replaced.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:52 PM
hz900
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You cannot properly replace the plastic window in the tops on these cars. It is sewed in and part of the top. If is possible to cut the window out and replace, but you will never get it tight enough again to look like factory because the original window acts as part of the top helping it keep its shape.

I know thats not what you wanted to hear but best solution to make it look right is replace the whole top. They sell on ebay for very reasonable and they are not that difficult to install yourself if you take your time.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:27 AM
CorvetteMike2024
Corvette Junkie
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,023 Likes on 839 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default top

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
My convertible top is in surprisingly good condition, with the exception of the plastic window.

It has some haze and light scratches. I tried to use 'Flitz' on it (as recommended by mid-america), but it made it a little worse if anything.

Is it possible to replace this plastic window by itself? or install a glass window?

How much weight would a glass window (vs. plastic) add?
Ive owned my vert for 20 years. In that time I have had 2 tops. Both tops I have put new plastic windows when the windows took a dump.

Take your vert top off. Dont cut the window out. Take it to an upholstry shop. They will sew in a new plastic window, and trim the old one out when done. Its about 75 to 100 bucks to get it done.

Im at this point again. Im looking for a piece of tinted plastic to sew in this time.

I have heard you loose cargo space when you convert to a glass window.

Good Luck

Corvette Mike

Last edited by CorvetteMike2024; 11-11-2009 at 07:46 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:34 AM
VinceC4
Pro

I have the exact opposite of your problem, my top is worn out but my glass window is in excellent shape..It has the defroster built in. I was wondering if the top can be replaced using the existing glass window.
Old 11-11-2009, 08:33 AM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

A good upholstery shop can easily replace the window only.
Old 11-11-2009, 02:34 PM
Inlove
Instructor

You should try this Micro-mesh stuff. My window was so bad that I was calling shops to replace it. Not now, I did mine by hand in less then an hour and it turned out great. Sorry if I sound like an infomercial...

http://micro-surface.com/index.php?m...products_id=69
Old 11-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Unless you are a top installer by trade, it is not going to be easy or fun for you to remove your top and put the same one back on.

Just bite the bullet and replace the top and convert it to glass and be done with it.
Old 07-09-2023, 02:58 AM
6T2Vette
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 173 Likes on 58 Posts

Not much has been posted on this subject in 14 years so I thought I'd bring it back to life and post my solution. When I bought my '62 'Vette in 2018 it came with a convertible top still in the box. It hadn't been opened in 30 years and it came from Al Knoch Interiors. It was in very good condition but the rear window is distorted or wavy. You can see through it but distorted. When I had my 'Vette restored, they did a beautiful job on the hard top, but the convertible soft top was another matter. They removed the tattered remains of the old one but they couldn't make the new one work, so they just folded it back into the storage box. Two years later I decided to give it a try, and I got it to latch nicely front and back. I had to readjust eight bolts on the side hinges, and the front latches.
I got it to where it's a one man job to put it up, but the window is a problem looking back, so I went back to my door mounted rear view mirror on the right side, so rear view problem solved. The door mirror is easily removed when not using the soft top. The mirror is convexed.
Bob

Get notified of new replies

To convertible top..possible to just replace the plastic window vs. entire top?

Quick Reply: convertible top..possible to just replace the plastic window vs. entire top?