C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

fuel pressure regulator

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 04:04 AM
bangand0lufsen
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default fuel pressure regulator

ok i have a problem i go to start my car it takes 15 or so sec to start and when it does it smells heavily of fuel. opti is good as well as new plugs and wires. could it possible be the fuel pressure regulator im out of ideas. if i let it sit for just about 3 to 5 mins it starts just fine more then that it take around 15 sec or so and again smells highly of fuel. after started and driving on the hwy ect the engine runs just fine no problems nothing any ideas. im a young guy 23 love my vett but cant afford to take it to a shop any help would be grate thanks in advance. 1993 early vert.
Taylor T
Old 11-15-2009, 06:58 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Default Scan it

Originally Posted by bangand0lufsen
ok i have a problem i go to start my car it takes 15 or so sec to start and when it does it smells heavily of fuel. opti is good as well as new plugs and wires. could it possible be the fuel pressure regulator im out of ideas. if i let it sit for just about 3 to 5 mins it starts just fine more then that it take around 15 sec or so and again smells highly of fuel. after started and driving on the hwy ect the engine runs just fine no problems nothing any ideas. im a young guy 23 love my vett but cant afford to take it to a shop any help would be grate thanks in advance. 1993 early vert.
Taylor T
The temptation is to start changing stuff till the problem goes away. But, I recommend you take it to AutoZone or Pep Boys for a free scanning. There you might learn more.

My guess would be it is OPTI-related or possibly the ECM. But, that is why I recommend the scan first and check for codes.

P.
Old 11-15-2009, 07:47 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Autozone did away with the free scanning about a year ago. They also pulled their OBD-II rental scanner from their loaner program. Might be regional I'm not sure. Don't know about Pep-Boys.
Old 11-15-2009, 09:01 AM
lgolson
Instructor

Can you see fuel leaking anywhere? I recently had a fuel leak and it ended up being bad seals on the fuel rails. The o-rings that connected to the regulator had gone bad. If there is a leak, I wouldnt drive it
Old 11-15-2009, 02:11 PM
bangand0lufsen
Racer

I have looked carefully all over for an fuel leak and cannot find one thankfully. the only time you smell the gas smell is just for the first few sec or so, after that it runs fine no smell engine runs smooth and still has plenty of power
Old 11-15-2009, 02:26 PM
ol school
Pro

Originally Posted by 86PACER
Autozone did away with the free scanning about a year ago. They also pulled their OBD-II rental scanner from their loaner program. Might be regional I'm not sure. Don't know about Pep-Boys.
wow to bad for you in your city, here in Houston , Auto Zone and Advance Auto give free scanning all day.. I eventualy bought my own
fo like $40.00 tells me everyhting i need to know..
Old 11-16-2009, 02:53 PM
scotth48
Burning Brakes

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Check your fuel pressure. Stock reulators should be 43 psi with vaccum line off and around 7-9 lbs less with it hooked up. Also see if fuel is coming out of the vaccum line from the regulator. Check your engine codes to see if it has thrown one for too rich of O2 sensor. Not knowing how many miles you have on car or injectors of which some may be bad and getting poor atomization at combustion thus blowing the excess fuel out the back. For injectors, check with Jon Banner at FIC. O-rings do dry out and crack as mentioned in earlier post manily from heat and should show some visual signs of leakage even though the high temperature may evaporate it off when engine is hot, keep a fire extinguisher handy. Check all your connections from fuel tank and at the filter. Becareful if you break the lines loose around the filter as gas will flow from the lines (eyes) and do it with engine cold as it is so close to the exhaust.
Old 11-17-2009, 01:48 AM
86PACER
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yes, if you find fuel in the vacuum hose of the regulator, it means the diaphragm inside has failed.

Get notified of new replies

To fuel pressure regulator

Quick Reply: fuel pressure regulator