C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

85 Coupe Horn Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 07:24 PM
85VettePilot
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 Coupe Horn Issues

Checked and discovered a bad ground - all is right with the horns and the alarm! Thanks guys!

Just wanted to ask if anyone has any suggestions about the horns not sounding on my 85. I checked the contacts behind the horn button on the wheel and they seem fine; even bent them out a bit to be sure there was a connection. ALSO...with the windows down and I arm the factory alarm and close the doors then open by reaching inside to unlock the car to simulate a theft, I can hear the RELAY clicking behind the dash but the horns do NOT sound.

I checked the courtesy fuse and it's fine and the connections/connectors to the horns seem OK as well. With the relay 'clicking' I would assume it's functioning(?) Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Rob

Last edited by 85VettePilot; 01-28-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: Problem Resolved!
Old 01-14-2010, 08:00 PM
olcrusty
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sir are not alone. The Corvette is not known to have the best of vocal cords when it comes to it's horn. In fact I dare say it sounds as if it has the larynx of a ruptured duck after being run over by a Mac truck. I have ascertained the thought of as many have to purchase horns from those dreaded Pep-Boys establishments but have yet to darken their door steps lest I be recognized as patrons of the macabre cheapest of the cheap. But at least their horns do prevail over the GM installed failures. As my reply is not meant to insult anyone a alternate solution maybe tenured in a plate as follows -
. Thank you for taking the time in reading this, my response to a somewhat serious problem.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:06 PM
85VettePilot
Intermediate

BIG SMILE - Well, I'm here in Southern California where "the finger" works wonders...thanks for the tongue-in-cheek reply. Pep Boys is rather on my "no fly" list at the moment. i don't spend my hard earned there.

R
Old 01-14-2010, 08:08 PM
96 Vette CE
Banned Loser
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

With a test light check to see if you have power at the horns. If so, make sure you have a good CLEAN ground where the horn(s) mount to the frame.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:12 PM
olcrusty
Pro

In all seriousness - go to top of forum to SEARCH and perform search on 'horn issues' you will get bookoo hits.

Olcrusty
Old 01-14-2010, 09:34 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

You could disconnect the hot wires from one of the horns and then run a wire direct from the battery to the horn to see if it will work.

One thing most books will not tell you................is that the 85 had a in-line fuse for the horn behind the dash!!! besides the standard "horn" fuse in the fuse box on the dash behind the passenger door.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:42 PM
mikeb
Team Owner

Received 173 Likes on 80 Posts
2023 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Winner - Unmodified

I had the same problem.

On the '85, the horn/alarm fuse is behind the DIC (driver's information Center).

I removed the DIC panel, and sure enough, blown fuse.

Alarm and horn worked after replacement.

Last edited by mikeb; 01-14-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by olcrusty
You sir are not alone. The Corvette is not known to have the best of vocal cords when it comes to it's horn. In fact I dare say it sounds as if it has the larynx of a ruptured duck after being run over by a Mac truck. I have ascertained the thought of as many have to purchase horns from those dreaded Pep-Boys establishments but have yet to darken their door steps lest I be recognized as patrons of the macabre cheapest of the cheap. But at least their horns do prevail over the GM installed failures. As my reply is not meant to insult anyone a alternate solution maybe tenured in a plate as follows -
. Thank you for taking the time in reading this, my response to a somewhat serious problem.
OC, Have you been drinking tonight
Maybe Mrs OC better let you back in that damn garage

Jim
Old 01-15-2010, 12:18 AM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

man, the past 4 cars I have owned did not have a working in steering wheel horn (2 corvettes). for that matter my windsheild wipers never worked either, or anti-lock breaks. Horns are bologna anyway. Everyone just uses them to say "yo what up taquisha!!! hey girl!!" so no one pays attention anymore anyway. Do what I do, put a train horn on, solinoid, and wire your own switch. Then when you blow it people take notice and you don't have to track down the problem.

o, keep forgetting that everyone else has inspections and junk. Move to SC, no one cares. It's great.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Biker
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 96 Vette CE
With a test light check to see if you have power at the horns. If so, make sure you have a good CLEAN ground where the horn(s) mount to the frame.

Good advice. My horn works intermittently. It's the botton on the steering wheel. I'm just too lazy to fix it.
Old 01-15-2010, 09:39 PM
RedVette84
Safety Car

I had to replace my horns - age does effect them. But the replacements are not exact.
Old 01-16-2010, 10:37 AM
85VettePilot
Intermediate

Thanks guy and thanks to all who offered suggestions. I'll check 'em all out and let you know. Much thanks! R
Old 01-16-2010, 10:41 AM
olcrusty
Pro

In all seriousness, Pep Boys does have one of the best replacement horns for the Vette, Several members swear by them. Use the search and you will find what I mean.

Olcrusty said that
Old 01-16-2010, 01:05 PM
dlb435
Racer

The horn is tied into the anti-theft system. The fuse is located behind the center console above the radio. The most common cause is that the anti-theft system is not working and the horn will stay on all the time when the fuse is replaced. You can cut the wire to the anti-theft system and just have the horn work. Be careful what wire you cut!
Old 02-15-2014, 07:05 PM
mrcedy
Intermediate

85 c4 new horn tested works ,new relay new fuse installed in car still no horn. when I press horn button new relay clicks but no beep. tested wire on back of horn for power when button is pushed no power where do i go from here
Old 02-15-2014, 07:33 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

Did you check the inline fuse behind the center instrument panel above the radio?
Old 02-15-2014, 08:03 PM
mrcedy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
Did you check the inline fuse behind the center instrument panel above the radio?
of corse. That is the new fuse near the relay. The dash is all apart, that is the way i got it the old owner took it all apart and i got it like this so it not to bad to get to these things i just need to know where to check next like i said new fuse new relay and new horn

Last edited by mrcedy; 02-15-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 01:13 AM
mrcedy
Intermediate

when I press the horn I have traced the power to the relay and out of the relay dark green wire on the drawing it shows it going to either the security modual or a plug not sure and from there to the horns it is numberd 2.0 blk or 29 on the modual or connector can anyone help. This come from the 85 shop manual

Get notified of new replies

To 85 Coupe Horn Issues

Quick Reply: 85 Coupe Horn Issues