Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Looking to buy 89' DRM coupe... got questions.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 10:02 PM
bigike
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Looking to buy 89' DRM coupe... got questions.

Ok i'm a dodge guy, i've got a 374 whp station wagon (SRT-8) and a 510 whp pickup (SRT-10). But i want a sports car bad!

I came across a C4 it is an 89' with 60,000 miles a Doug Rippie Motorsports DRM 383 a built ZH 6sp and the DRM willwood brake package. I've never thought of the first gen c4 as a pretty car until i started looking into buying it. i do however love the more rounded versions of the early 90's with the zr1 rear end.

The car is in good mechanical condition, no large exterior or interior blemishes.

Do y'all think that 7,000 is too much?

Some things i've read about that are down sides to the c4 is the ride. this one has the selectable ride options. Does this make the car more livable on the street or is it still very harsh? Does a coil over kit like what doug ripple sells improve the ride quality or is it mostly for handling?

the late model rounded off bumpers front and rear, are they an easy swap?

I hope my wife lets me buy it soon.... I love the c4 hoods. my buddy just bought a blown c6 and when i popped the hood i remembered how much i enjoyed seeing the tires and suspension, made it feel even more exotic.

Are there any interior updates like swapping in the 90-96 dash that anyone does??

Thanks a lot y'all i appreciate your time!

Jay

Last edited by bigike; 01-21-2010 at 11:24 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:06 PM
bigike
Instructor

Old 01-20-2010, 10:08 PM
bigike
Instructor

Old 01-20-2010, 10:52 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Looks great just the way it sits. It's alot of work to change out the dash and then you may wind up with a bunch of squeeks that weren't there before. The ride in this car will surprise you. It's not bad at all. If you do swap the bumpers to the later style, remember paint work can get very expensive and you may have a hard time matching that blue. I think you are getting a good price on it. Go for it!
Old 01-20-2010, 11:07 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by bigike
Ok i'm a dodge guy, i've got a 374 whp station wagon (SRT-8) and a 510 whp pickup (SRT-10). But i want a sports car bad!
You have fine taste as posted above. Now the real answer to your first question if this is a documented DRM build and the owner has the receipts buy it.

I came across a C4 it is an 89' with 60,000 miles a Doug Ripple Motorsports DRM 383 a built ZH 6sp and the DRM willwood brake package. I've never thought of the first gen c4 as a pretty car until i started looking into buying it. i do however love the more rounded versions of the early 90's with the zr1 rear end.
Understand but a 383 with a paired ZF transmission is hard to beat. The ZF was aslo the transmission of choice for the ZR-1

The car is in good mechanical condition, no large exterior or interior blemishes.
Buy it before I do lol

Do y'all think that 7,000 is too much?
as stated in the above condition and with documentation. No

Some things i've read about that are down sides to the c4 is the ride. this one has the selectable ride options. Does this make the car more livable on the street or is it still very harsh? Does a coil over kit like what doug ripple sells improve the ride quality or is it mostly for handling?
this was the first year of FX-3 and a rare option for 89. All 90-95 ZR-1s has the FX-3 Option and it was the same handling system run in Ferraris of the day. The weak point is the actuators but they are easy to get rebuilt. The coilovers are great for handling and autocrossing as you can adjust the ride height and the Spring rate you can set when you get it done.

the late model rounded off bumpers front and rear, are they an easy swap?
somewhat but why mess with it

Are there any interior updates like swapping in the 90-96 dash that anyone does??
Not worth it the Atari dash with those mods will be a hoot. BTW welcome to the forum

Last edited by Goldcylon; 01-20-2010 at 11:09 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:28 PM
bigike
Instructor

Thanks y'all, please don't buy my car!

My wife is gonna be pissed i've been on her for 6 months now for this car and i want it more every day.... Hell i think the engine is somewhere aroud 8 grand.... back in the day.

I've sent Doug rippie motorsports an email to see if they know anything about the car.

She's going to make me hold off on buying the pistons and rods i need in my boosted srt10 though.... i guess i'll have to keep it detuned to 510...

Last edited by bigike; 01-21-2010 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:37 PM
bigike
Instructor

he's got the receipts and he's going to scan them too me so's i can put together a begging package to my wife.... so sad, i work 10 months straight out of the year and i need to beg for 7,000 messly dollars!!!

I'm going to take all the feedback that y'all give me a use that too so keep the yay's comming.

Any other C4 info would be great.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:46 PM
Daniel_Mc
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 47 Posts

bigike,*

I have the same year DRM car with about the same options and LOVE it. The price is a steal because I have spent 3 to 4 times that on the one I have. Make sure it is the real deal and has the Rippie paperwork to go along with it. Contact Randy@DRM (forum name) and ask him about the car as well, you can't ask for a nicer group of guys than the DRM crew or www.dougrippie.com. As far as the ride you need to find out what valving was used in the FX3 shocks and what spring rates were used it's a very easy swap to get them changed (maybe an hour with the proper tools). I believe that car is in Mississippi so if you need someone to check it out I may be able to in a few weeks I'm not far from it. Just PM me if you have any questions I would be happy to talk to you.*

Daniel*
Old 01-20-2010, 11:58 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

If Rippie touched the FX-3 shocks it may have the Moracca valving and an FX-3 contoller upgrade but without coilovers I doubt it. Randy should be able to ferret some of that info out. Bilstein still can rebuid these to that valveing but unless you plan on Autocrossing the car the standard valving for the FX-3 front and rear shocks will work fine.
Old 01-21-2010, 12:07 AM
Daniel_Mc
Burning Brakes

Goldcylon is right. That is the setting DRM suggests and IMHO it's not harsh at all. If they did the work on that car you will need the name of the person that owned it at the time of the work and they should be able to tell you everything that was done. Also if it does not have the coil overs the factory FX3's had the softer springs only the Challange cars had the stiffer springs. The FX3 Z51 cars had the quicker ratio stearing box and bigger bars but still kept the softer springs.*

Daniel
Old 01-21-2010, 12:54 AM
pologreen1
Team Owner

Received 260 Likes on 239 Posts

nice car. If you really are trying to buy it, better do it soon, that is a good price.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:00 AM
Millah
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just love that color and year.

I dont know why?

Last edited by Millah; 01-21-2010 at 01:01 AM. Reason: pic wrong
Old 01-21-2010, 11:08 AM
bigike
Instructor

found out the exhaust is called side effects by power effects and its a pretty expensive piece.

i must have it.... :wi lly:
Old 01-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Millah
Racer

You better buy that car and soon!!! The wife will come around!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:01 PM
gabezC4
Racer

Default Very Nice Indeed

That is a great $7,000 investment. If you have any mechanical understanding of cars, and it sounds like you do, I'd buy the '89 ASAP. Get the name of the owner when the work was done or at least some serials or VIN and DRM will be able to confirm. Plus, if someone is scanning/emailing their recepits to you, then I'd imagine its legit.

I'd buy her ASAP. Now the wife thing, thats tricky. Good luck on that one brother!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:22 PM
Sweet 90
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd take it as well. Looks like the interior just needs a good cleaning.
Nice find

Jim
Old 01-21-2010, 08:31 PM
Daniel_Mc
Burning Brakes

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission ... Just saying LOL

Get notified of new replies

To Looking to buy 89' DRM coupe... got questions.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:12 PM
bigike
Instructor

Thats the same thing the tv sales man told me when i wanted a 82" dlp ...... I'll tell you like i told him "you've never met my wife" She is incharge of the money for a reason.... she's taken me from a 400 to a 730 credit score and is the reason for all my toys... shes home time to get to work
Old 01-21-2010, 11:54 PM
Daniel_Mc
Burning Brakes

We are all pulling for you!!! Let us know how it goes :-)
Old 01-22-2010, 12:04 AM
Snakecharmer383
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

As stated before, Buy it before I do!!

Quick Reply: Looking to buy 89' DRM coupe... got questions.